Topic: Songs with reference to Science Fiction

On a science fiction convention we'd like to play a few popular songs with reference to the genre...

Examples: "Mr. Spaceman" (Byrds), "Space Oddity" (David Bowie), "2000 Light Years from Home" (Rolling Stones).

Is somebody here with more ideas?

Re: Songs with reference to Science Fiction

UFO by Newton Faulkner big_smile http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=23aw1480WJk

I'll give it some thought and see if I can come up with some more for ya...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Hi Sharkfin
A few suggestions off the top of my head

Rocket Man Elton John. Life on Mars David Bowie, Venus and Mars Paul McCartney, To the Moon and Back Savage Garden, Spaceman Babylon Zoo, Walking on the Moon Police, Calling Occupants of Interplanetary Craft The Carpenters

Is that enough?  But there must be lots more.

Ian

All things good to know are difficult to learn.
Greek Proverb

When Salome Plays the Drums by Jimmy Buffett, includes the lyric "phasers on stun".

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

One of my favorites is "arriving UFO" by Yes on the Tormato album...very sci-fi

Phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Satellite two diff. ones; Lou Reed and Bush

How about a little more obscure?  The third verse of Neil Young's "After The Gold Rush" is a retelling of a book by Ursula le Guine titled "The Dispossessed" in which space aliens come and take all children from Earth.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Queens "39" - from wiki:

The song's lyrics are a science fiction short story which concerns twenty volunteers who leave a dying Earth on a spaceship in search of new worlds to settle. They return to report success, 100 calendar years later, with only a single year passing from the volunteers' perspective (due to time dilation). The lyrics imply that the song's protagonist faces his child upon return to Earth: For so many years have gone/though I'm older but a year/your mother's eyes from your eyes/cry to me. This, and the fact that all his peers and friends have died, are a terrible grief to the protagonist, as the final words insist: For my life/still ahead/pity me!

To provide 100 years' time dilation on Earth in only one year of spaceship time, the velocity of the spaceship must average to 99.995% of the speed of light.

Brian May described the song as follows:

It's a science fiction story. It's the story about someone who goes away and leaves his family and... because of the time dilation effect, when you go away, the people on Earth have aged a lot more than he has when he comes home. He's aged a year and they've aged 100 years. So, instead of coming back to his wife, he comes back to his daughter and he can see his wife in his daughter... a strange story. I think, also, I had in mind a story of Hermann Hesse, which I think is called "The River" [actually "The Poet" [1]]. A man leaves his hometown and has lots of travels and then comes back and observes his hometown from the other side of the river. He sees it in a different light, having been away and experienced all those different things. He sees it in a very illuminating way, 'cause I felt a little bit like that about my home at the time as well, having been away and seen this vastly different world of rock music... totally different from the way I was brought up, and I had those feelings about home.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

I think this fits ,a song from the late fifties I belive called purple people eater,it was a novelty song.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Tool, Lost Keys (Blame Hoffman), Rosetta Stoned, from 10,000 Days.

Good luck

"Flash Gordon" from Queen.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Most George Clinton stuff (Parliment, Funkadelics) LOL

Space Cowboy - Steve Miller Band - not sure what space he's singing about

Goshwowboyoboy! I'm deeply impressed, guys! I know about a dozen of the songs above... And now it's rehearsal time! (Special thanks to Zurf: How I could I forget "After the Goldrush"? Without Neil Young and this song there would be no "Sharkfin" playing the guitar!)

15 (edited by bunbun 2010-11-15 23:56:04)

Try looking into the group called the Cruxshadows. Much of their music is science fiction based. Also: Rush, particularly  2112 and the group Coheed and Cambria.

Here is a couple: High Tech Redneck - George Jones; Come Sail Away - Styx; and of course Fly Me to the Moon by Frank.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

And who can forget Iron Man by Iron Man by Black Sabbath.

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Major Tom (Coming Home) by a German band I believe but I forget their name...around the early 80s.

J  E  T  S

"planet claire" by the B52s

"I lost my heart to a starship trooper" Sarah Brightman

Wheres Captain Kirk - spizz energy

Doctorin the tardis - the
Timelords

Anything by "Hawkwind"

21 (edited by dino48 2010-11-17 01:38:18)

how about in the year 2525 by zagar and evens,( I think that was the right year).

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

22 (edited by badeye 2010-11-17 11:54:28)

Spaceship Superstar , Triumph

A space man came travelling , Chris Deburg

Lovin every minute of it , Lover Boy

badeye   cool

one caper after another

Zepplin often made reference to Lord of the Rings and Tolkien.

Misty Mountain Hop, Battle of Evermore, Ramble On, etc..

"The pain of war cannot exceed the woe of aftermath
The drums will shake the castle wall, the Ringwraiths ride in black."

Good stuff!

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

24 (edited by pegi 2010-11-17 23:06:54)

A nice Countrysong: "Benson, Arizona" by John Yager. Title Song of the John-Carpenter-Movie Dark Star. My body flies the galaxies, my heart longs to be here...

jets60 wrote:

Major Tom (Coming Home) by a German band I believe but I forget their name...around the early 80s.

The song was "Major Tom (voellig losgeloest)" by Peter Schilling, 1982. There was also an english version (coming home) in 1983. This was the only big hit of Peter Schilling...