1 (edited by naolslager 2010-11-09 03:29:47)

Topic: NGD!

To all:
I put myself out of my misery today and purchased a 1984 Guild D-15M. I also got a well-worn original Guild arch-top HSC. Could never settle in on the right Martin D15 deal so I had given up, admitted defeat, and decided to opt for the low cost (read poor man's alternative) the Alvarez RF20SM (or newer variant the RF300).

I'm on a business trip to Washinton, D.C. and while waiting for my baggage last night I perused the local Craig's List. Voila! The Guild had just been posted minutes earlier. I exchanged four or five emails with the seller, layed in bed all night thinking and today made contact, and purchased from the humble surroundings of a hotel lobby. Thankfully there was a "lounge" area to serve as an unwitting sound studio.

Ironically, with all my guitar research I was previously unaware of the Guild D15 offering which interestingly enought looks exactly like the Martin save the headstock, arched back, etc.

So as not to be hounded by the Chordie folks, a poor photograph can be found by following this link (I hope).
http://picasaweb.google.com/david.johns … directlink

Re: NGD!

Happy, happy, happy NGD

Happy NGD!!   So how does she sound smile

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_5bvSK10nWK8/TNi_J1QdPVI/AAAAAAAACS0/rKEViXapRTM/Guild%20D15M.jpg
She looks great smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Thanks for the technical help Guitarpix! She sounds good so far but it's not wise to wring her out in the hotel room. Maybe there'e an open mic downstairs in the bar:)

Would love to hear a review later on when you've had a little more time alone with her smile

Congrats again man!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

First task was to remove and replace the "silk and Steel" strings the seller was using in search of a "woody" tone. To me they sounded flat or mushy and to my ear not a good choice for this guitar (or at least for me). I installed a fresh set of EJ16 Phosphor Bronze lights. This definitely changed the sound. However more experimentation required.

Don't know how I missed this thread - Happy NGD naolslager!

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Looks great, I always liked Guilds.

More photos are forthcoming. The photo I posted with Guitarpix's help was clipped from the original Craig's List ad. The guitar is NOT red although Guild does make a red variant.

Good for you, naolslager.  I'm happy for you. NGD is always an exciting day.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Happy NGD!  Enjoy and have fun!!! I love the deep color!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Happy New Guitar Gay!!!!!! She's a beauty

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I played a guild f 50 blond (blond meaning maple side and back) as my main acoustic for about 30 years. can't say any thing bad about guild guitars. The only problem I ever had was some of the binding on the neck came unglued which I reglued with a little crazy glue. It was only after a kick from an ex girlfriend that I made the choice to  buy a new acoustic guitar. I still have my guild only it has a whole in the body and the action has gone bad. (due to the assault) I still play my guild, only that I keep her tuned down to open g and use her for slide. I have played the d 15 and I found it to be a great guitar. my take on it is that you made a great choise. By the way I grew up in the washington dc area and purchaced my guild at chuck levons aka washington music center in wheaton, maryland in 1973

what a long strange trip it's been

Update:
It's the Holidays and I'm home all week. I've had some time to get to know the Guild.I tuned it down a half step just for the heck of it and I am enjoying the sounds, etc. My only crtiticism is the neck seems to be very thin and sometimes my fat fingers are muting the "e" string but I am overcoming this and I really enjoy the guitar. I am even considering a "travel version" in the form of a Taylor Baby M.  It will be like mini-me as  both guitars have an arched (braceless) back.

So far so good. Sorry about this lackluster review but thanks for your patience.
David

Congrats on your purchase..  I love the color too.. 
deb