Topic: Bass guitar and amplifier . . .

Not sure if this is in the correct section . . .

I want to buy a bass guitar (I already play electric guitar but am interested in writing my own songs with different instruments) and have seen a lot of cheap packages with bass and amplifier with case etc. My question is: I have an old guitar amplifier that I don't use -- do I need a bass amplifier to play the bass, or could I connect the bass to an ordinary el-guitar amplifier and get the same results?

Thanks.

Re: Bass guitar and amplifier . . .

I'm probably not the best person to answer this, but I think it'll work fine as long as you keep the volume down... Crank it up and you'll probably blow the speaker though.  Not sure how the tone would be affected... Maybe someone who's tried it will chime in smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Only if you could careless about the amp. If you do I wouldnt suggest it.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

As they said watch the vol. you also might want to turn the trebel down

Okay, thanks for the comments guys. I'm on a tight budget and am trying to keep the costs down.

I was playing my bass tuba at a gig where the room was so big I needed to mike the tuba.
Our little P.A. had ten inch speakers with horns.
We talked it over and decided to take a chance and mike the tuba. We thought we might blow up the horns. We were wrong. We blew up a 10 inch speaker That cost a hundred bucks to replace.
15 inch speakers are the minimum size to run bass.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?