Topic: Not a good time

In October of last year I went to work for a General Contractor located in New Orleans, La. as the Project Superintendent on a 150 unit apartment complex. At the time I started this project it was valued at $12,000,000+ and upon completion, due to unforeseen conditions and owner upgrades, the total cost of the project was $13,500,000. Subatantial completion was signed in mid October and final punch list / close-out was scheduled to be complete the week of Nov. 8. The last cost projection I did was from a end October cost report and the company was looking at $1,200,000 in savings for the entire project. This is above and beyond overhead and profit estimated in the project. I had a staff which included a office administrator, field superintendent and a Project Manager - all of which was terminated between August and September by the home office ( I was not consulted)

On Nov 5, 2010 I was given a reduction in force and told my services were not needed anymore. Now keep in mind, based upon the original contract amount there was $40,000.00 earmarked as "job bonus" (my share would have been $13,000.00+) and due to the increase via change orders this amount would have increased.

Now, I was given a reduction in force on Nov 5, 2010 and the project was not "closed-out" until Nov 11, 2010, I was told that since I was no longer an employee I was not eligible for any bonus! And this came straight from the owner of the company. So I get 2 weeks earned vacation pay plus I can sign up for my Louisiana unemployment benifits of $247.00 per week.

So, I don't guess I'm gonna get a Thanksgiving turkey, either.

Nela

Re: Not a good time

Bumme NELA try the LA, Dept of Labor and Industry. I had a guy try to pull something similar to that on me when I was living in Mass. Lots of luck

I reckon any half decent lawyer would get you your bonus pro rated. Get yourself half an hour of legal advice.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Hate to hear that NELA - As you know there are a lot of less than scrupulous companies in our industry. Do you mind naming the GC so I and others know to avoid them in the future?

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

There seem to be less and less "stand up" GC's these days. Used to be you did the job, the way you said you'd do it and you got paid. Now dealing with GC's is more like dealing with lawyers. You spend most of your time watching your back and reading fine print. Sorry to hear things are going south.

Gone are the days of handshake deals, an honest living and a straightforward deal.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I realy hate to see things like this happen to people,you sound like you got scammed. I know in california most lawyers will give you your first( or more ) visits for nothing. did all of this get put into writting? I wish you luck and I hope you at least try a lawyer,if you do not they may do it to someone else in the future.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Freakin' cheats.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude