Re: What inspired you to start playing guitar??

ozymandias wrote:
bensonp wrote:

The Beatles inspired a lot of us older folks.  What a great sound.

Lots of B chords too.  smile

Well George Harrison IS a mutant after all.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Dirty Ed wrote:

Zurf mentioned our camp fire music "circles".  It's my favorite thing to do.  He certainly has learned a lot in a short time and I was really impressed with his pickin' the last time we got together.

DE

I had an operation on my right shoulder yesterday - never realized how hard it would be to type with just my left hand.......................

1. The camp fire circles are about the most fun I've had with clothes on and are one of my favorite things too.
2. You're still encouraging me, and I continue to be grateful.
3. I'll be praying for a swift recovery.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Thanks for the kind thoughts Derek,
Doc said the shoulder would hurt for several days and it would be a couple weeks before I could pick up my guitar.  Day after the surgery it felt better than it has in years and I slipped my arm out of the sling and played a couple of tunes last night.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

When I got mine done, the recovery was half the time he expected.  I was rowing again in two months.  I was unconscious for three days after the surgery, during which time I somehow wrote two songs that I do not recall writing.  But I looked in my hook book and there were two songs written in my left-handed scrawl (I'm ambidextrous, but am more practiced with my right hand). 

I had a full range of motion returned for the first time in a long time - a decade maybe.  I hadn't been able to put my hand over my head without tears from pain for a solid four years before the surgery.  It was one of the most sensible things I've ever done to get it fixed.  After multiple breaks, multiple dislocations, cartilage tears, and arthritis, the surgeon earned his co-pay.  I expect your shoulder has had similar or worse abuse, knowing the stresses you WW bums put your shoulders through.

My dad played when I was a kid. Mostly folk songs and the like. He had a Yamaha classical guitar and a Yamaha ( I think) 12 string. We were not allowed to touch the 12 string. It was a beautiful guitar.

In the seventh grade my school had a guitar class so I took it. My first guitar was a Cahuenga classical. I never got that good with it as it was too hard to barre with but I did learn to play "House of the Rising Sun" on it. Most of the other songs I learned were folk songs which I forgot how to play immediately. The only songs I remembered were "House..." and "Country Roads" by John Denver.

I never played much after that but my brother kept it up and passed his passion on to my nephew (he is self-taught and is an impressive player). I just looked longingly at his guitars when I visited.

My oldest daughter, seven years ago, decided she wanted a guitar for Christmas. We bought her a steel string acoustic and a beginners book. She tried to play but did not like the pain that she caused her fingers and gave it up after a few weeks.

Fast forward to about five months ago: My daughter (oldest) talks my wife in to letting her get a rabbit, (against my wishes but two women against one man? Not gonna win that one...). Daughter then goes off to college and we get stuck with a homicidal lop-eared rabbit. Wife tells me we have to let the rabid rabbit run around outside of the cage as often as possible. We do it in daughters room as she is gone. I get stuck with the chore. About two months ago I am in the room, avoiding looking straight into the eyes of the rabbit (challenge to her I guess, not gonna chance it I think she carries a switchblade), and pondering 45 minutes of pure delight. I spy daughter's dusty guitar case, open it up and start playing.

I had fun. I figured if I had to spend time in the room with Bun Bun I would make the most of it. I also figured the dreadnought would make a good weapon in case the rabbit got any ideas about offing me.

Birthday on 10-30 and wife gets me an Epiphone acoustic/electric starter pack. Unsolicited. Cool!  Been playing (trying) any time I can find it. Been playing so much I have not played Call of Duty 4 (which my wife hates more than lima beans) online for about three weeks.

Now I want an electric.

Great Post

Be very careful bunbun - there have been killer rabbits around for centuries big_smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Rabbits.  Fearsome creatures. 

You have a way with words Bunbun.  I look forward to some new rabbit war songs once you've got things under control.

I love the story BunBun!

I think most of the folks here know my story, although I suppose there's be a few newbies so I'll give it another shot.  My Dad played since he was a teenager (he still has his first 3/4 Fender and it sounds really nice still!!).  I grew up learning how to read/following along with the music so I could turn the pages for him... sang always.  I sang a lot in school and Dad tried teaching all of us kids at some point or another... I was NEVER interested in the guitar.  Last year, Dad had some back/elbow issues that was causing issues with his hands and the guitar came out for only a very few songs at the campfire.  At that moment I decided I was going to learn how to play because I couldn't stand the thought of the next summer coming and no guitar around the campfire.  I picked up my husbands guitar/found Chordie and within a couple weeks was doing well enough for my hubby to buy me my own.  The rest is history... Dad's doing much better and my playing has inspired him to try more as well as my husband and my son.  We all have an awesome time now playing around on the guitars!!  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

If some of this isn't inspirational, then I don't know what is.  Great stories by all!  It seems each of us have our own reason for doing what we do and that is what makes us all so special.  Keep it up, the more stories of beginnings the better.  I find them very entertaining and solidify the support everybody here on Chordie had demonstrated.  I think I will go play my guitar!

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

I was in parochial school in the sixties when they started folk masses on Saturday nights.  The kids who played guitar got out of religion class and the nuns weren't allowed to hit them on the hands with rulers.  As a result, and I'm sure this is all related somehow, I got hit in the back of the head instead of the hands and am now a Buddhist.

I was drawn to guitar as a young child of 5 when i though that Elvis was the only pro musician alive even though he had already passed away. I grew up with 5 uncles that were always playing guitar in kitchen jams and in the bars and i got the itch to learn too so my parents bought me a Roy Clark acoustic guitar and a few lessons. Well i stuck with it for a few months then the guitar got busted by an angry dad early one morning. Time went by about 20 years i guess then the guitar started calling to me again so this time my wife bought me a Jasmine acoustic by Takamine and a beginners lesson book. I taught myself the basic chords including the B and the F and all barr chords and worked at it with online lessons and now i am better than my uncles ever were and still learning. I play everyday with one of the five guitars i have and have written 3 complete songs just this month. I still only play out of my love for it and the relaxation benifit and use it in my personal worship time. I just hope one of my kids will want to learn so they too can feel the passion for real music.

dfoskey wrote:

I play everyday with one of the five guitars i have and have written 3 complete songs just this month.

I think that three posts in the Songwriting section, and some recording, is now called for wink.

Roger

Sorry for the slight deviation Pix.

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

First time on this forum..  been looking at Chordie for some time finally decided to join in..  got my 1st guitar at 12 yrs old.. for Christmas..  1968.  With a chord book and a ton of desire, I learned how to play..  never looked back.  A few guitars later, I decided to buy the guitar I always wanted..  HD28 Martin.  Absolutely love that guitar.. I'm part of an acoustic trio, playing at least one gig a week..  Honestly never imagined I would be doing gigs at this point in my life but wouldn't have it any other way..  absolutely love it..  To all the beginners out there..   press on.  It is so worth it.. 

Deb P

Welcome Debrap.  Please don't stay a stranger. 

- Zurf

Welcome, debrap.  I'll bet you like the Hd-28.  I am getting ready to buy one in the next couple of months.  I absolutely love the sound of them.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Love the HD28..  funny thing is when I bought it, I was in the store trying out a Taylor..  admittedly a lower end Taylor but I really liked it..  as the sales guy was off doing something else, I picked up the Martin that was in a stand in the showroom.. and hit an E chord..  I couldn't believe the sound and the action was great..  that was it.  Although it was a bit more than I was planning on spending..  I bought it..  no regrets.  And with my gigs the past couple of years it has paid for itself many times over..  can't say enough about it.. 
deb..

Well, I've convinced myself the last few months that its the one I want.  It's good to hear someone else say how good it is.  I can't wait.  I'm saving up for after the holidays.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

43 (edited by tubatooter1940 2010-11-17 21:28:02)

Best of luck acquiring your HD28 Pete.
What are you playing now?
debrap, proud you like your guitar.
You know now that a good axe pays you to use it.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Two things got me started. First, I got rid of my t.v. and needed something fun to do in the evenings. Second, I was watching my son play his Epi and asked, "Could you teach me how to play some chords?" He did, and we went out and bought my first guitar, a Fender C60 acoustic. Although I've moved on to an Art & Lutherie, I think learning to play that cheapo Fender saved my life.

selso wrote:

Havent commented in awhile but I like this thread so: The sole reason I stuck to it was because it drove my parents crazy. Back then I listened to heavier stuff (Slayer, Primus, etc..) and they hated it. They would always tell me I wasnt any good and that the music I listened to sucked.(classic, right?) Sounds like a sob story but it did me alot of good. Made me determined to prove them wrong. Now my mom loves the way I play and my dad is even trying to learn. Its cool because we have something in common now. My musical taste has soften but I still love me some death metal. Thinking about starting a John Prine death metal cover band.(dont lynch me!) Any takers?

Sign me up for some John Prine death metal.  I'd dig that.

We do a "C is for cookie" cover sometimes that is fairly hilarious.  Cookie monster voice, being what it is...  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Two things...

The first was "X-Static" by The Foo Fighters.
I learned how to play that song on the low E-String on an acoustic guitar my college sweetheart bought for me.
Then when we split up I hocked the guitar and got into building motorcycles.

The second was years later after being married and on my 30th birthday.
My wife bought me a Walmart brand "First Act ME440" electric guitar (My First) and all the memories of learning that first song came flooding back to me.
I ran with it this time.
Still with my lovely lady and still playing music everyday!

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Best of luck acquiring your HD28 Pete.
What are you playing now?

I am playing a Martin Custom D Classic Rosewood.  I absolutely love it, but I still want the HD-28.  I will use the Custom D as my travel guitar since it cost half as much as the 28.

"Red House" by Jimi!  Ever since I had to play the guitar.

Welcome to the forums bwileyjax.  Don't wait another year before your next post.

- Zurf

I don't think everyone is being honest here smile

I'll bet most started playing cause    Gals love Gittar Players

Later, Wayne P