Topic: Finish safe leather conditioners?

I dug some vintage tooled leather straps out yesterday and started conditioning them real good and working the leather to get them good and soft (Planing to start using them more often) Anyway, The thought occured to me "What if this conditioner reacts with the guitars finish" :eek:  So I was wondering what you guys use to condition your leather straps?? Are there certain conditioners to stay away from?  I'm not worried about the silicone issue... I'm more concerned about damage to the finish. Thanks! -Chris

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: Finish safe leather conditioners?

I don't have an answer for ya Pix, but I thought leather conditioners were pretty much oil based which sounds safe for a guitar finish.  Hmmm... curious to hear the thoughts of others.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Saddle Soap schold work if it's really worked in. I'd stay away from sprays though

Deerfoot oil.

Saddle soap or neatsfoot oil.  Neither should harm a guitar finish, but I'm no expert on that.  If it damages your guitar's finish, it'll damage your shirt where the strap comes across your shoulder first.  You shouldn't have so much conditioner on your leather that it seeps. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Never tried it man.

an oil based conditioner shouldn't hurt the finish as the lacquer clear coat should protect it. I'd be careful on areas where there is no lacquer (the fretboard especially) as oil of any type will soak into the wood eventually softening the wood. Personally I think I'd use saddle soap as you can apply it more evenly than some type of oil

Don't take life too seriously, you're not getting out alive anyway