Topic: Acoustic pickups

OK, so does anyone have an article or site regarding the pros and cons of different kinds of pickups and pre-amps to retrofit into an acoustic guitar?  If so, please cite it for me.  Or if you just have information, that'd be good too.  Thanks.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

2 (edited by wlbaye 2010-11-28 17:34:15)

Re: Acoustic pickups

Hello Zurf,

With a great guitar like yours I would look at a good natural pickup. I have a couple LR baggs pickups and an I-beam would be really nice in your guitar it is about $ 100 plus installation , but can be done easily yourself. A step up is the Anthem and there are two versions the SL and the true- mic. The SL is the same dual pickup it just doesn't have a convenient blend knob to balance the two and is the one I prefer to keep it simple with just a volume control inside the soundhole. It has a small screw to balance the mic and transducer. It is the best pickup I have heard.  www.lrbaggs.com

KK sound makes a Country Western and is the pickup of choice for bluegrassers it is natural sounding with no quack and is available in a passive and active model. The passive models are prone to feedback issues and also need a di box of some sort for a preamp.
www.kksound.com

B-band also makes  a very nice pickup that is none intrusive and I have one of them also and they are nice but for the same price comparing the B-band A-A2 to the LR baggs Anthem SL the , Anthem is a bit better.
www.b-band.com

Most of the good pickups just require drilling out your end pin of your guitar and slipping in the pre-amp , installing the volume control, battery,transducer or mic and plug in and play. If you are somewhat handy you can install any of these yourself.

Later, Wayne P

Thanks Wayne.  I checked them out and I think I'm going to go with an lrbaggs under saddle or LR6.  The LR6 instructions seem pretty challenging so I'm going to check with the tech at the store whether he's installed any before.  It looks like I'll also be needing to pick up some kind of a conditioner/pre-amp.  I didn't expect it to be that pricey.  Maybe I'll just get another mic and mic it.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Zurf,

I have the LR Baggs I-beam , in my HD-28 and it is a nice pickup and is very easy to install. I think a tech could install it in less than a half hour. Plugged in it sounds real nice , the HD-28 is real bass heavy plugged in so I have to roll the bass off but it sounds so nice when dialed in. Alot of folks like the batteryless passive units. After having both I will take the battery and have more control of things without buying a DI box. I do have a DI box but really like things simple and don't use it much, except to record.

If you decide to install one yourself , let me know if you need any help.

Later, Wayne P

Wish I could. I wanted to buy one of those pre-made pickups but they cost too much.

So I wound up making my own for 5 dollars from radio-shack components.
Works out just as well when you put a potentiometer on the red wire to control the volume coming out of the pickup.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Acoustic-Guitar-Pickup/

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Anthem SL is looking like the best fit for what I want.  Thanks for the tip Wayne. 

- Zurf

Zurf ,
I sent you a long winded reply via email.

I am gonna put a Anthem SL in my Martin HD-28 , I am saving my pennies and can"t wait to hear how it will sound.

Later, Wayne P

Me either.

Hey Zurf..  I had an LR Baggs pickup installed in my HD28..  love it.  People advised me to not mess with the integrity of the guitar and it wouldn't be in its original state when I wanted to sell it..  well, that ain't happening..  There's a few options out there but you won't be disappointed with the LR Baggs..  congrats on your new purchase by the way...  Deb

"Wanted to sell it..."   

Does not compute. 

Unless needed for groceries or rent or something, I don't sell musical instruments.  I have given a number away to people who were interested in starting.  But selling?   No.   

- Zurf

hey zurf,
I went with the lr baggs I-beam and I am really happy with it. my biggest concern was I wanted the least amount of cutting and or drilling on my acoustic and with the I beam they only need to drill one small hole. it does need a 9 volt battery and there is a volume control on the edge inside the sound hole

what a long strange trip it's been

I am just a kid, i don't know any of it sad

You may be few in years alviskleen, but I suspect that you are not "just" a kid.  My guess is that you are far more important than "just" an anything.  Welcome aboard.  I look forward to your participation.