Topic: acoustic to carry around

my acoustic is a high end and I dont feel comfortable dragging it around therefore I have been considering asking santa for a guitar not too expensive. somthing that should I drop it or it got scrached that I would not have to worry about yet still was fun to play. I like the idea of a small boby or parlour guitar. I have been considering the epiphone EL 00 which is the low cost version of the gibson blues king. does anyone out there own the EL 00 or has played one and if so could give me some feed back. I have only seen pictures of this guitar and has never played one. also any recomodations for a small body under $300.00

what a long strange trip it's been

Re: acoustic to carry around

Patrick,
Unless its a museum quality or extremely rare instrument, I'd take it where ever.   Just my opinion but, I think guitars were meant to be played.  Sure there's exceptions. If you read the Fretboard Journal you've seen some great examples of instruments as art. But for me and my budget,  they're all going out on the road. 

I haven't played an EL-00, but now you've got me curious about it. I will check it out. Thanks for the tip!

Now available in 5G !

hey tandm, I play my acoustic everyday there is no lack of playing by any means, its just that when you dish out 4,000 bucks the thought of too much humidity in the summer the cold in the winter not to mentions someone stealing it. (I have had a guitar stolen before) or some drunk guy grabbing it, the thought of all the things that could happen, well it just keeps you thinking.......... OK worrying

Not being about to carry your guitar around is analogous to having a bicycle strapped to the back of your car (or a motorcyle strapped to a trailer towed behind a car). what's the point? Now I don't own anything above $0.5C but I willing carry whatever instrument strikes my fancy often checking it aboard a trans-Atlantic flight. Naive: maybe but I by the things so I can TRY to play them.

If I did own mortgage-value-approaching guitars I suppose I might reconsider. Don't mean to offend those of you that do as I am sure you can actually play the darn things.
David

I have mixed feelings on this.  I suppose it all depends on where I am taking it to play.  But, I would probably take the expensive good sounding guitar to almost any event, but I would also worry that someone will drop it or knock it against a wall by accident.  That's life.  I generally take the expensive one and the less desirable one with me and start out p[laying the good one.  If I see it is getting a little rowdy, I put the good one away and bring out the less expensive one.  No garauntees either way.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

For a good little guitar that's priced at $299, I recommend the Takamine GS430S.  Takamine calls the shape NEX, which to me is reminiscent of a parlor guitar. It's got a solid cedar top for a warm, resonant tone, and mahogany back and sides. It's small and light, but it's projects well. Mine has a low action and is pretty easy to play.

I bought a beat up Yamaha FG-403S that had been kicked around at parties at some college in Washington DC.
Paid $20 d0llars and after hearing how nice the guitar sounded...threw the guy a 10 dollar tip.

It's my go-to guitar when I go almost anywhere I wouldn't feel comfortable bringing my electric.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

as bensonp was saying it really depends on where we are talking about. when I said carry around I am not refering to somene I know home, more like an outdoor party  in the sommer , or somewhere wherre I could feel safe leaving it my car. Litterly a guitar I would just haul around everywhere. as I said I play the martin every day, its hanging on the wall in my home where I grab it daily whenever I feel like playing it. havent you ever been somewhere when you wished you had your guitar with you but didn't. Well this guitar would always be there, to me it does not seem that hard to understand. and thanks  artless I will look into that takamine. while watching elvis costello spectical on tv the guest was bruce springsteen, he had a small bodied takamine.

Dateman, I was living in Frederick before moving to Canada. I really miss all the great resteraunts which we dont have here in Canada. Theres a small music shop in the old part of Frederick that sells martins. I bought my eastman mandolin there. also took a few lessons there too. I grew up in rockville

I know where you're coming from Patrick.  About half of my summertime guitar playing is around riverside campfires.  My "river" guitars spend hours traveling in hot vehicles, get stuffed into dry bags for overnight trips on rafts, get played during rainstorms under tarps, etc.  Although my acoustics aren't as high-end as your $4K Martin, I still wouldn't want to subject my D-16 or my Blueridge BR-73 to that kind of torture.

For a month-long trip out west and a week on the Middle Fork in Idaho, I bought a $100 Johnson dread naught and re-worked the action a little to make it more friendly. It held up well and did a good job on the river, but like you, I'd like a smaller size guitar to take along in the future.  From the experience I've had playing several of them in local music stores, I think a Bristol BM-16 (000 size guitar made by Blueridge) might work out well. For a cheap guitar the ones I've played sounded great, have excellent projection and play easily You can find new ones on ebay for $189 shipped.  You might want to check then out.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

patrickjacques wrote:

Dateman, I was living in Frederick before moving to Canada. I really miss all the great resteraunts which we dont have here in Canada. Theres a small music shop in the old part of Frederick that sells martins. I bought my eastman mandolin there. also took a few lessons there too. I grew up in rockville

Yep...the store you're talking about is "Boe's Strings".
I've walked past it about 80 times but I've never gone in as it's a classical instrument store...and to me, every acoustic is the same.

Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

11 (edited by patrickjacques 2010-11-25 11:35:26)

hey there ed, mabe I did not explain myself well but you hit the hammer right on the head and thats exactly what I was talking about. I will look into blue ridge. trouble is all the guitars that catch my attention dont seem to be in any of the guitar shops I have found around here. Living in canada deprives one of a lot of products that you get used to living in the states. Buying sometthing through the mail is either not availible or subjected to additinal taxes and customs fees. I dont really like the idea of buying a guitar without trying it out first either, so I do aperciate suggestions and thanks to those whom sent me any. an idea that I was thinking also is replacing the saddle and nut (which I assume would be plastic on a low cost guitar) with bone or a supieror material. I imagine this would greatly improve the instrument. I tried out a small bodied guitar made by art and luither ( a godin co.)and did not care for it. I dont want to buy a 12 fret model either. I would really love to try out that epiphone since having tried the gibson (blues King) in a music store, just to feel the difference between the gibson vs the epiphone model. we are talking about a 2500 dollar difference in price.

Detman101 wrote:
patrickjacques wrote:

I've walked past it about 80 times but I've never gone in as it's a classical instrument store...and to me, every acoustic is the same.

Dm

wow dateman, every acoustc the same. do me a favor, step into a guitar shop, sit down and try out a martin, taylor and or a gibson or any of the high end guitar and get back to me with what you think. Boes has some but they are not the most friendly when it comes to siting around and playing thier guitars. I would often go to guitar center in rockville, right of off twinbrook parkway. (take montrose exit off of 270) you can sit in there as long as you like and play different guitars and no one will bother you

patrickjacques wrote:
Detman101 wrote:
patrickjacques wrote:

Dm

wow dateman, every acoustc the same. do me a favor, step into a guitar shop, sit down and try out a martin, taylor and or a gibson or any of the high end guitar and get back to me with what you think. Boes has some but they are not the most friendly when it comes to siting around and playing thier guitars. I would often go to guitar center in rockville, right of off twinbrook parkway. (take montrose exit off of 270) you can sit in there as long as you like and play different guitars and no one will bother you

I always get that feeling about "Boe's Strings" just from walking past it. (I drove past it another 3 times this past weekend lol)
The last mom & pop shop that I went into on Georgia Avenue in Silver Spring MD (Nextdoor to the CD/Game shop) treated me like dogmeat when I asked about trying any of their "Highline" instruments.

Yep! That's the Guitar center I always go to!
I've tried many of the guitars in there (Acoustic and electric) and the electric guitars are the only ones that seem to have a different personality (Per guitar) to me.

The only difference I ever feel with acoustics is a difference in comfort. Like...some are too big under the arm or the neck is uncomfortable (Most are uncomfortable to me...too thin) or the bassiness/boominess of the guitar is the only thing that changes per model.

There was one acoustic guitar that I tried at my Guitar Tech's house out in Annapolis that I did have a connection with. It was a reeeeeeeeally old Martin D-somethingorother and it had a thick neck like my electric and was VERY comfortable. I knew that there wasn't a snowballs chance in the down-under that he was going to consider selling it as it was pretty much an heirloom and older than I am.

But that has been the only really "Stand-out" acoustic that I've ever touched/played.

=]
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I have a better idea for Detman101.  He should come to my house and teach me a little bit about electric and I'll let him diddle around on my new acoustic. 

For PatrickJacques, I'd recommend taking a look at Yamaha's F or FG series guitars.  I can't tell you how many people started with them (including yours truly) and how many people still use them as their knock-around guitars after many years of playing.  Replacing the saddle with Tusq and the plastic pegs with wood made a huge difference to the tone of mine.  You can get a new Yamaha F or FG series guitar many times for around $100 to $150 American.  Add $15 for new pegs and $12 for a Tusq saddle and you're in business with an easy playing great sounding knock-about axe.   Mine came mail order set up with a great action (but with unpleasant sounding ultra-light strings).  I use .12s and that's worked well for me.  Put on some silk and steel strings from D'Addorio and you'll be shocked by the volume. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Hey!! That sounds great to me!!!

big_smile
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle