Topic: What about the smell?

I know that the way an acoustic guitar smells shouldn't really effect its playability, but has the way a guitar smelled ever influenced a buying decision?  I fell for my latest guitar because the clean smell of cedar came wafting up through the sound hole whenever I played it. A friend just got a Martin with an Adirondack (red spruce) top and the scent of that guitar is intoxicating, and it's absolutely distinct from the smell of sitka or other types of spruce. Do other people notice this, or am I just a weirdo?

Re: What about the smell?

I like the smell of the wood on a new guitar also,but it never got me to buy one. My old one smells like beer,pizza and fritoe's corn chips it took awile to get that way.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Yeah I smell them too but i never thought it was weird, I thought everybody did it. It is kind of like the new car smell but it never caused me to buy or not buy one.

I love the smell of my acoustic. But, there is nothing like the smell of napalm in the morning

Plug your nose, open your ears.

Give everything but up.

I can't speak for my guitars, but my harmonicas smell like Crown Royal and Macanudos, neither of which are staples in my diet at the moment.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have never been able to place the scent that is in the case of my 95 strat. But I love it. I keep that case closed at all times so that smell doesn't escape. Its still there fifteen years later. Everytime I open that case and smell that, I can clearly recall how overjoyed I was the day I bought "Blondie", and everyday I play her. That smell is just a little part of her. New strat smell.

A friend built a new wooden boat out of juniper wood (planks). It smells great from my boat slip next door. However, going inside his boat to sleep is unpleasant because the wood smell is overpowering. Sailing his boat is tolerable when topside. He hopes time and the  weather will lessen the odor.
My antique plywood and mahogany sailboat always smelled great inside and out. Fresh varnish added to the ambience.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

tubatooter1940 wrote:

A friend built a new wooden boat out of juniper wood (planks). It smells great from my boat slip next door. However, going inside his boat to sleep is unpleasant because the wood smell is overpowering. Sailing his boat is tolerable when topside. He hopes time and the  weather will lessen the odor.
My antique plywood and mahogany sailboat always smelled great inside and out. Fresh varnish added to the ambience.

I know of what you speak Tooter.  I've built one redwood and 5 cedar strip canoes over the years. Each one finally lost its wood smell after time spent on the water.  I've never bought a guitar because of the smell, but I'm disappointed that my 000-16 Martin is losing its aroma. On the other hand, its because instead of keeping it in its case between uses, I leave it on a stand where I can pick it up and play it several times a day - so I guess that's a good thing.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

My acoustic smells like marker ink...that alcoholey smokey funkey smell.
Guess it's because it originally was a college party guitar.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

played one once that smelled like a certain plant...didn't play well but almost bought it anyhow smile

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I keep my Indian Rosewood Martin in its case and can smell the wood every time I open the case.  A nice pleasant smell.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I have 4 guitars that smell like mold. I don't keep them in cases anymore. I'm hoping that smell goes away with the extra ventilation!

Now available in 5G !

tandm3 wrote:

I have 4 guitars that smell like mold. I don't keep them in cases anymore. I'm hoping that smell goes away with the extra ventilation!

You can put an adore absorbing (unscented) fabric softener sheet in the accessories compartment of the case when storing them and it should go away.  Helps get rid of cigarette odor too.  Just figured I'd throw that out there in case a good airing out didn't get rid of it...

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Hmm..  Thanks Guitarpix, I think I'll try that!

Now available in 5G !

You can also try wiping down the guitar with white vinegar (mixed about 1 part vinegar to four parts water).  Be sure to hit the unsealed woods (bridge, fretboard, etc) with lemon oil again afterwards.  If the mold smell is down inside the guitar, I wouldn't spritz the white vinegar in there.  Guitarpix' suggestion would be better.  You could probably even drop a dryer sheet right down inside the guitar because it can be pulled back out easily and it won't affect moisture content. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

SouthPaw41L wrote:

Plug your nose, open your ears.

Lot of wisdom there! Right now my nose has been morning better than my ears; kinda frustrating!

bensonp wrote:

I keep my Indian Rosewood Martin in its case and can smell the wood every time I open the case.  A nice pleasant smell.

Rosewood is wonderful . . . wonder if they ever made a top out of sandal wood?

Just bought a Martin D-18 all mahogany. Awsome smell and sound. I'm hooked.

Ibanez ew20ase-nt
Martin D-18
Taylor GC-5

Zurfs new guitar smells GOOD!!!

=p
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Detman101 wrote:

Zurfs new guitar smells GOOD!!!

=p
Dm

Rosewood.