Topic: August jam in Meadow Creek, WV

I have contacted Diane at Riverchase Campground / Riverchase Lodge and told her to set aside the first full week of August for us.  Now, this is an open invitation to anyone who would like to come.  However, if you intend to come, let me know so that I can keep a running headcount.  This invitation is open not only here, but also on a fishing and paddling site that I frequent as "Halffastpaddler".   I'll put an event up on Facebook once I figure out how. 

When: First full week of August, (Monday August 7 through Sunday, August 14)

Where: Riverchase Campground in Meadow Creek, WV  -  http://www.riverchaselodge.com/fmain.php   There are hot showers, clean flush bathrooms, and a dish-washing station.  Electric is available for those who can't live a weekend without it (CPAP users, drip coffee addicts, etc.)

Why: Paddling and picking.  New River and Greenbrier River are near to the campground.  If you need to borrow a boat or fishing tackle, let me know and I will dip into my plastic armada and arsenal of rods. 

Who: Open invitation, but please notify me of your intentions as the event coordinator.  If you're half-way thinking of it, that's enough.  I just need an approximate headcount to maintain a running total between this site and another paddling/fishing site I frequent.  It's understood that until time gets close, no one can confirm completely.  However, no dogs.  The campground owner's dogs roam freely there (super-friendly critters), and to keep down on possible unpleasant doggie interactions, outside dogs are not permitted. 

Cost: Unknown at this point.  Generally it is about $50 to $60 for the week.  However, there are no discounts for part-week stays (which makes it a great deal for longer stays but cost prohibitive for those who only intend to stay one night - sorry but that's how this campground rolls).  I generally arrive on Thursday to set up camp and stay through Sunday morning. 

Reservations: Work with me for details on tent camping.  If you want one of the cabins, work with Diane directly.  I have no information on cost for the cabins, but I've inspected them and they are lovely and well constructed.  Sorry, no RVs.  Tents only.  Pop-ups count as tents. 

This is intended to be a free-flowing weekend with no or few formal events.  Hang with who you want to hang with, go fish, stay at camp and pick, go hiking, whatever.  Thursday and Friday nights tend to be a "campfire circle" type jam.  Each person does one song and passes to the next.  Whoever knows the song is welcome to pick or sing along.  It's all very informal and very fun.  I look forward to this event every year as my main get-away from work, hassles, family, responsibility, sleep, sobriety, etc. 

Pickers from Tennessee, Kentucky, West Virginia, Virginia, North Carolina, Ohio all ought to consider this one.  Take a look at the map and see whether it's a reasonable distance for you.

One note of interest for non-paddlers who would expect this sort of thing:  This campground is situated between train tracks and a river.  The train tracks are active.  It doesn't bother my sleep any.  Of course, I normally stay up picking until I pass out in my chair and then later stumble off to my cot and a nuclear blast wouldn't disturb my sleep, but I thought I'd mention it anyway. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: August jam in Meadow Creek, WV

I'm interested!!
I can make it, but only as a series of day-visits. Might be able to make the Friday-night campfire-jam as well if the wife doesn't have plans for me on friday night.
Wish I could bring my tent and fishing pole but...ah well.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

The week has been confirmed by the campground owner. 

List of potential attendees:
Zurf
Detman101 (who I think will need to look at a map given his post...)
Roger (fisherman)
Herschel (fisherman and subject of abuse in my song "Herschel's Campfire Song")
Dirty Ed (picker and fisher)
Bass Viking (aka Big Jim) (picker and fisher)
Topdown (picker and beer drinker)
Bo Crowder (picker and fisher)
Philly Ray (picker and fisher)
Englishmanjohn (picker and fisher)
Garuchi (picker and fisher)
DavBart (paddler)
Billie Elkins (picker and fisher / Guitar, banjo, mandolin, and 'that high lonesome sound' voice)
Al Agnew (possible) (fisher, paddler, and nature artist extraordinaire)

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I guess you didn't get the email I sent you Zurf.  I've never missed the gathering on the New in WV since it started.  I'm hoping to continue the streak.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Dirty Ed wrote:

I guess you didn't get the email I sent you Zurf.  I've never missed the gathering on the New in WV since it started.  I'm hoping to continue the streak.

DE

I didn't.  I hope my computer didn't put it to junk because I just emptied out my junk folders.  If you see Big Jim at an open mic or something, tell him about the event.  Also, if you know how to get in touch with Bo or Cathy and the rest of those Richmond miscreants, pass word along that the event is still on if you don't mind. 

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:
Dirty Ed wrote:

DE

I didn't.  I hope my computer didn't put it to junk because I just emptied out my junk folders.  If you see Big Jim at an open mic or something, tell him about the event.  Also, if you know how to get in touch with Bo or Cathy and the rest of those Richmond miscreants, pass word along that the event is still on if you don't mind. 

- Zurf

Will do.

-DE

Ok, consider me notified!  Sounds like tremendous fun and something I want to do.  The specifics are something I would need to work out, but I think I am going to try and make this event.  Thanks again for the heads up Zurf; and you too Dirty Ed.  I hope the shoulder is healing well after your surgery.  Big Jim

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Hey Zurf, I talked Bo today and he plans on trying to make it.  I'm guessing Philly Ray will show up too. Sounds like the party is ON! I'm hoping to get Englishman John to make an appearance also.

DE

Zurf - Count me in as "interested". I'd love to make it, but being unemployed for a few months now, I hope that come August I am gainfully employed in some exotic location raking in big bucks with multiple women in bikinis serving me cocktails. If for some reason my plans don't work out and whatever job I might have allows for a few days off, I will do my best to make it.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

topdown wrote:

Zurf - Count me in as "interested". I'd love to make it, but being unemployed for a few months now, I hope that come August I am gainfully employed in some exotic location raking in big bucks with multiple women in bikinis serving me cocktails. If for some reason my plans don't work out and whatever job I might have allows for a few days off, I will do my best to make it.

I hope you can find work AND make it.  While he looks just awful in a bikini, Roger makes a pretty darned good campsite margarita.

Zurf,

You can add "picker and fisher" behind Englishman John's name too.  Last year he made it to the Buckeye and Kentucky Rodeos.  He paddles an SOT.  By the way how is Garuchi doing?  I've been wondering about how he's been coping with his medical issues.

DE - I just talked to Garuchi yesterday.  His spirits are great, but his body continues to be problematic.  Physical therapy for the spinal surgery has gone extremely well and he's got full mobility, but other chronic disorders have come to light with the intensity of attention he's received.  He is playing guitar a lot, and has taken up banjo.  He is paddling again - albeit Class 5 water is behind him.  He's currently doing open water in SOT's with the occasional class 1.  Given that last year at this time we weren't sure whether he'd live and if he did live how much paralysis he was going to suffer, guitar/banjo playing and class 1 paddling are miraculous. 

Anyone who comes to this event and meets Garuchi will find it a blessing in their lives.  No one has a better or more infectious attitude towards (or is it appetite for) life.  And he is a wicked good guitar player. 

- Zurf

Bump.

Some folks are going to have to request vacation time for 2011 soon, so I am bumping this up as a reminder.

- Zurf

Just my luck.  This location is only about 90 minutes from where I used to live, and now I'm half a country away.

If you ever plan anything down closer to the gulf, I'm in!

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Well, I am seriously tempted to hop on a plane for this, sounds great! I love guitar playing & fishing & would like to try some paddling too. Also feel that it's time to do something a bit different, even adventurous (for me)!
Just so I can start researching flights, what airport should I head for? Obviously, I couldn't bring much stuff with me, so am hoping I could borrow/share camping gear?
Oh, and please don't mention anything on Facebook yet, if you know me there!
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Wow.  It's kind of in the middle of nowhere, which is the appeal. 

Uh, well, if you think you'd like to go Thursday to Sunday with me you could fly into Dulles International Airport near Washington, DC and drive down with me. 

If you're thinking of heading in earlier than that, then the absolute closest airport is Hinton-Alderson in Pence Springs, WV.  It's bound to be a super-dinky one given that Pence Springs has a lower permanent population than the number of employees at most metropolitan airports.  The closest town of note is Beckley, WV, but again it's bound to be a darned small airport if there is one.  Probably the closest metropolitan airport is Charleston, WV.  Then you'd have to rent a car and drive a couple hours. 

- Zurf

Bump.  There's been some recent off-line discussion.  Just keeping an eye on this one and bringing it back up for new members.

Just a quick update on this event.  One of the folks planning to attend is active in Heroes on the Water (HOW).  It's an organization to help veterans seek some solace and peace while fishing from kayaks.  It's been a remarkably effective program helping wounded or shell-shocked (PTSD in today's vernacular) veterans peace of mind.  If you're interested in information on healing through nature, I recommend the book "Last Child in the Woods" by Richard Louv. 

Anyway, I'm putting the notice here because I've opened discussions with the campground owner to permit a barbeque back at the campground after the day's fishing.  I don't know where that'll lead.  Suffice to say that she has enough reason to back it all the way or ask that we not include her.  Where you guys come in is I think it would be good if there were some songs applicable to the occaision.  I'll probably brush up "Drive On", but perhaps avoiding "Ruby" by Kenny Rogers would be good. 

- Zurf

Hi zurf count me in as interested want to be there bad but I am too far away,sounds like it is going too be alot of fun. I like seeing you are planning on helping our vets out,thats a great idea,One song comes to mind,God bless the USA by lee greenwood.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

What is the progress on the two get togethers that were being planned?   Did I miss something?   smile

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qI7y9ivs5Y[/url]  lol
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEyW2SEHfzM[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WeJjPLqyQ[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkcYALHslEY[/url]

July is on.  I'll find the post and bump it. 

This one is still on too.  I ought to get in touch with Dianne and find out the weekly price to put it here.  It's Monday, August 8 through Sunday, August 14.  Pay one price whether you stay for the week or one night.  We're planning a Heroes on the Water event for Friday, with a self-thrown barbeque back at the campsite a week later.  The guy planning it is a disabled vet from 1984 and the campground owner's daughter lost her fiancĂ©e in Afghanistan, so they're pretty well motivated to honor and help the guys who made it back but maybe left a little bit of themselves behind.   So brush up on good vet songs.  I'm working on "Drive On" by Johnny Cash. 

Anyway, that's the plan for right now.  Subject to change. 

- Zurf

New Facebook event set up for getting a head count.  Name is August River Jam and I set it up as a public event.  The August event is more paddling and fishing oriented than music.  There are other things to do there than paddle, but not many.  The particular campground is more on fishing water than serious whitewater, but there's class 2 and 2+ whitewater nearby.  If one does not know what rapids classes mean or needs to ask what kind of boat to paddle (i.e., will my XYZ canoe work), then I would recommend using an outfitter rather than going it alone. 

That said, I am willing to help new bumpy water paddlers on some of the easier runs here and there.  I am not qualified or sufficiently skilled to outfit or lead a large group of novices and I will not agree to do anything that will create more than a necessary level of risk.

Nearby Meadow Creek is Beckley, WV, some really great whitewater on the internationally famous New River Gorge and Gauley Rivers (contact outfitters for paddling these areas) and Bluestone State Park.  There's a humorous story about Bluestone State Park.  Usually, if an Army Corps of Engineer dam project floods a town, they  name the dam  after the town.  The town of Gad is submerged beneath Bluestone Lake but the Army Corps of Engineers chose not to name it Gad Dam.  It is possible that the West Virginia State Fair will be going on (and also possible that it won't).  There's the prison where Martha Stewart did her time.  A hundred years or so ago John Henry raced a steam drill.  There's a statue on the spot. Oddly no one does that song.  Aaaaaaaaaaand that's about it.  Mostly this trip is about fishing (or recovering) during the day and music by night.  In August the fish are lazy and the water low, so the music is usually very good.  There are no quiet hours enforced, mostly because we have always been respectful and not been obnoxious with excessive noise.  The campfire concerts often last until 3AM or later.  (thus the recovery)

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:

New Facebook event set up for getting a head count.  Name is August River Jam and I set it up as a public event.  The August event is more paddling and fishing oriented than music.  There are other things to do there than paddle, but not many.  The particular campground is more on fishing water than serious whitewater, but there's class 2 and 2+ whitewater nearby.  If one does not know what rapids classes mean or needs to ask what kind of boat to paddle (i.e., will my XYZ canoe work), then I would recommend using an outfitter rather than going it alone. 

That said, I am willing to help new bumpy water paddlers on some of the easier runs here and there.  I am not qualified or sufficiently skilled to outfit or lead a large group of novices and I will not agree to do anything that will create more than a necessary level of risk.

Nearby Meadow Creek is Beckley, WV, some really great whitewater on the internationally famous New River Gorge and Gauley Rivers (contact outfitters for paddling these areas) and Bluestone State Park.  There's a humorous story about Bluestone State Park.  Usually, if an Army Corps of Engineer dam project floods a town, they  name the dam  after the town.  The town of Gad is submerged beneath Bluestone Lake but the Army Corps of Engineers chose not to name it Gad Dam.  It is possible that the West Virginia State Fair will be going on (and also possible that it won't).  There's the prison where Martha Stewart did her time.  A hundred years or so ago John Henry raced a steam drill.  There's a statue on the spot. Oddly no one does that song.  Aaaaaaaaaaand that's about it.  Mostly this trip is about fishing (or recovering) during the day and music by night.  In August the fish are lazy and the water low, so the music is usually very good.  There are no quiet hours enforced, mostly because we have always been respectful and not been obnoxious with excessive noise.  The campfire concerts often last until 3AM or later.  (thus the recovery)

- Zurf

You got the story partially right  but missed the old location of Gad by about 40 miles Zurf.  Bluestone Lake is in Summers County.  Gad  was located on McKee's Creek in Nicholas County and is now under the waters of the Summersville Dam (Gauley River).  From what I've been told its near the marina.  Over the years I've logged about 450 days on the New, with about 200 of them on the Gorge, mostly kayaking but probably have guided in the neighborhood of 50 -60 raft trips.  By contrast, I've only floated the Upper Gauley about half a dozen times and the Lower Gauley about 20 times. The upper stretches of the New near the campgrounds have small class II rapids which are ideal for novice paddlers to learn in.  However, a well-made and well-fitted type III or type V PFD (personal floatation device or life jacket)  is very important when attempting this water. 

North of the campgrounds on the Greenbrier River above I-64 there is a 70 mile bicycle trail which follows the river, also a scenic railroad.  West of the campground near Beckley there is a coal mining museum and Tamarack - a large building which houses and displays the wares of many of WV's finest craftsmen. 

I'll be camping at Riverchase Campground this weekend and will be taking my grandkids on a couple easy floats in my raft.  I'll tell Diane you said Hi Zurf.

DE

Cost is $58 for the week or any part thereof.  That's a little better than break-even for three night's stay, a poor deal for one night's stay, and a terrific deal for a week's stay. 

- Zurf

Bump.