Topic: fingerpicking... very underrated!

I was randomly finger picking, practicing an REM song called drive, and i just started messing around finger picking random strings (arrpegio sp?) i was surprised how pretty it sounds! anyway, just another random revelation I thought I'd share with you guys big_smile
~Kori

If you spend your life judging people, how will you ever have time to love them ♥

Re: fingerpicking... very underrated!

Kori,

Most successful guitar artists/players do finger picking as part of their repertoire (spelling?)  I agree that finger picking does create a nice, comfortable, emotional mood that soothes!

3 (edited by guitarzan21 2007-05-25 17:24:30)

the first song i learned was mostly fingerpicking and it took me a while but once i started getting good at it, it sounded really nice.

I am finding it very difficult to use finger picks.  do much better with my bare fingers, but loose some of the sound.  any suggestions?

Hi, jpage_roxmysox
I agree with what you write.

Strumming a song is ok and enjoyable but I feel that to get the best out of an Accoustic guitar finger picking is the way to go.
Arpeggios on chords are a good place to start.

I really enjoy experimenting with finger picking. The variations on basic chord finger placements on different songs can throw up some interesting sounds.

Most if not all of the great players are accomplished finger pickers of a sort. eg. Jimmy page "Black mountainside"  seeing you are an admirer of the same.

Ark.

ssttsstt wrote:

I am finding it very difficult to use finger picks.  do much better with my bare fingers, but loose some of the sound.  any suggestions?

Hi I don't get on with fingerpicks either so I have my nails a bit longer, this lifts the sound but you do need to look after them and it depends on the kind of work you do, you don't need to have them really long just enough to pick the string, if they're  too long they will snap. But if you can, give it a go, it's a personal choice though.