Re: I've Got The Itch

Pete my friend, you have my sympathies. If I were you I'd buy the Gibson because I know that I'd be sitting at home with anyting else thinking, "I should have bought the Gibson, why didn't I buy the Gibson?". Saying that I have a very understanding wife, who indulges me in my "toy" purchases, the last of which was an £8500 BMW motorcycle!

A couple of weeks ago I was fortunate enough to purchase a 72 Reissue Japanese Tele and I brought a friend along who was looking for a Strat. He had a £500 budget so was looking Mexican. After a couple of hours of playing different Strats he settled on a £1000 worth of US Standard. His explanation was that he'd be sitting at home playing and thinking, "it's great, but it's not American". Of course his 10 year old son who was with us had to be bribed into NEVER telling mummy how much this guitar cost with the promise of daddys old Cort. How happy is Jeff? Delirious.

Do it Pete, just buy the bloody thing, play the living daylights out of it and enjoy. It doesn't matter whether you're Clapton or Clapped out, if you open the case and it makes you smile it's worth it. You only live once my friend and owning a Gibson is a lifetime relationship. In years to come you'll be glad you did it and without meaning to be morbid it'll be a nice little investment to leave to your kids!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

I have turned around a little on what I want now.  I really like the HD-28 better.  I'm pretty sure thast's what I'll be getting.  It just sounds better than the Gibson to me.  My Martin Custom D is a very simple looking, no frills guitar with a satin finish.  I love it, but now I want a nice shiny, glossy Hd-28 sunburst.  It'll still be a few months before I get it, so I keep dreaming.  It's fun to dream.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

28 (edited by Bass Viking 2010-10-30 17:12:27)

Hey Pete, if you are interesting in getting the most sound for your dollar, don't overlook the various all solid wood Blueridge guitar line.  I constantly get positive comments from my buddies who have swore by their Martin guitars about how great my Blueridge 160A model sounds, at at least half the price of their Martins.  I play mostly old time or country music and purchased mine after my local music store owner turned me on to them.  He had me close my eyes and placed a guitar in my hands and told me to play it with my eyes closed.  He then took it and handed me another.  After playing and hearing both, he had me open my eyes and say which I liked best.  Guess what, it was the Blueridge over his Martin HD-28.  He has since sold his Martins and purchased Blueridge and he sells Martins in his shop.  This from a guy who played professionally in a band at one time with the likes of Vince Gill and others. 
I am not trying to discount the great Martin guitar line, just saying that for alot less money their are others out there that sound and play every bit as good.  I wouldn't necessarily get locked onto a "name", instead giving more consideration as to how it plays and how it sounds.  Try the blindfold test and see just what you want to spend your hard earned dollars on.  I decided the $900 was better in my pocket and bought the Blueridge for about half.

Find a Path or Make One    This is a motto I have been following my entire life and one I am currently using with my music.
Big Jim from Ashville Ohio

Hi pete, all guitars will sound and feel different from thier like models,I think you will see this when you watch a band play on stage,the players almost always have a few different models. I think if you got the money go for it!!!.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Pete,

You can't go wrong with either guitar. I have a HD-28 and I think it is one of the best sounding guitars in this part of the country. It is a deep warm rich sound and I can't ever see parting with it.

The J-45 has a better action and is easier to play , it has a very different voice than the HD-28, I really like them both, the J-45 is a Spruce top with Mahagony back and sides and the HD-28 is a spruce top with rosewood back and sides.

I feel very fortunate to have them and I would have a really hard time deciding if I had to give one of them up. In my opinion
you can't go wrong with either guitar they are both  quality instruments.

Hope you find the one that's Calling your Name !

Later, Wayne P

I'm sure looking and researching.  Thanks, guys, for the input.  You have my head spinning with good stuff.  I am taking my time.  I will check out the Blueridge if I can find some.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

j-45, j-45

badeye                                                 cool

one caper after another

Bensop,  I don't have a J45, but I've got a J-200. It's hard to compare them outside of the price range and neck profile, but they are similar in few ways:  both sound great and both are at the peak of the acoustic guitar world.  I've played almost everything.  I've never been fond of the Martin neck profile, it never suited me despite the guitars sounding so good.  The Gibson acoustics have always been a favorite of mine.  The electrics, not so much (blasphemy, I know). I've been thinking a lot lately about the L-00. Have you checked it out?

Now available in 5G !

Pete, start saving, but promise yourself to not buy the Gibson until your Martin looks lived in...like you've put some miles under the wheels.

Now I work down at the car wash where all it ever does is rain.

'99 Gibson Les Paul Special DC, '99 Epiphone Dot, '06 Norman B50, '03 Yamaha FG-433S, Fender Performer 650

its so good to hear that I am not alone when it comes to wanting more guitars. I shall show this to my wife who can not understand that there are others like me. Just checked out the J-45 on musicians friend and I understand. She is a beauty. My take is that if you can get it, get it. Anger from your wife, the payments or the time too recover from the financial blow will all eventualy pass yet you will still have the guitar.....good luck

what a long strange trip it's been

That's the way I always see it Patrick.  A little pain up front for a lot of satisfaction down the line.  You are definately not alone in wanting more guitars.  It becomes a passion.  I've told my wife every other day that I will get another one after the first of the year.  She says fine.  She does not know how much it costs, but it is money, I alone, have saved and it doesn't take anything out of her pocket.  I feel good about it.  Thanks for the advice guys. I will also check into the L-00 tandm3.  Thanks.
I'm working on that lived in look, but I can't hold off that long for the new one.

Don't wait Ben, just do it.

Pete... 
You had to say the Gibson J45..  I absolutely love that guitar.  I currently have a Martin HD28... and I adore it.  I play gigs often and it just cuts through and sounds so rich and warm..  but there's something about that Gibson..  I had the pleasure of test driving a 1951 vintage gibson at a music shop in Catonsville, MD..  it was sweet.. a little too much $$ for me but it was cool to try it out.  Bottom line..  get the Gibson.  Sooner than later... life is short.
Deb

Buy whatever you want if you can afford it.  New guitars have a way of enhancing the desire to practice.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Benson, if it will help you out, and you buy the Blueridge, the Gibson, or whatever, then decide you wished you had bought the other, I guess I would  be willing to let you send it to me so you will have room for the one you buy next. It would be a hardship on me to go to the door to sign for it from the postman but I guess for you I would do that. Here's hoping you get what you want and that you'll love it as I'm sure you will.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Well, I'm still set on the Martin, but things change.  That's what good friends are for, cameron.  I'll consider it.  smile  I will may be getting it in the next month or two.  Still saving.

42 (edited by naolslager 2010-12-15 17:00:22)

I've introduced my wife to the concept of a "guitar fund". In fact it is now a frequent part of my lexicon. Occasionally (rarely actually) when I but her something I find a subtle way to let her know the money came from my guitar fund. You've got to be careful with this but incrementalism works. A sign of success is that she has mentioned this term to ME. The on-going battle is keeping the fund liquid. No magic here, just scrimping and saving, and an occasional profit on a guitar.

I am ALWAYS in the market for the next guitar it seems. Within hours of my last purchase I was rifling through Craig's List! Unbelievable! I have managed to pare my inventory to three. One is listed on CL with ever-changing plans for the cash I receive.

That's pretty much how I work it too, naolslager.  It's funny about the psycology we come up with.  I have dipped into my guitar fund for various reasons, like to buy her something, but I always let her know that it's OK because I will continue to save for my guitar.  Great minds and such.

I had the itch after a year of playing my starter Ibanez. I just purchased a Martin D- 18.  The sound is awsome and keeps me picking it up and pushing to play better. Starting bar chords now. I too went to buy a taylor and was not even considering a dread until I picked it up and played it. Now I am going to lower the action in hopes to make it even better.

Ibanez ew20ase-nt
Martin D-18
Taylor GC-5

Myibanez, glad you like your new Martin. Get it set up by a competent luthier and you won't believe how easily it will play.
I got a cute idea for my tip jar at my restaraunt gig. I took my "TIPS" sign off the tip jar and attached another sign that read, "DENNIS' NEW GUITAR FUND". Nobody put any money in.
I then attached a sign that read, "DENNIS' YACHTING FUND". Nobody put any money in.
I made a new sign that said only, "TIPS" and put that back on my tip jar and they put money in it. I guess it pays to keep it simple.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

There is not enough Calamine (sp?) lotion in the world to thwart NGI (New Guitar Itch)!

I've sold two guitars this week and bought two. I have imposed a buying/selling moratorium on myself until and if my playing warrants a "better" guitar. Besides I secretly want a Martin but I have no idea which one.

Glad to see youre still taking your time Pete. Half the fun is in the research.

Yep, I am taking my time, but that time is coming up soon.  In a month or two, I hope.  My nerves are shot, but I am excited everyday.