Topic: Strat or fat strat?

Don't post much but when I do it seems I am always looking for advice.  You folks have helped me in the past.

I am sorta gassing for a strat.  I have friends who like the HSS pickup configuration and those who like the SSS better.  I'm sort of leaning towards the SSS for the pure strat quack but some tell me that in certain settings it will suffer from feedback.  I play my Hamer SAFT with the Hamer P90's through a Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and am completely satisfied with the sound I get but am also looking to diversify my sound.  I have not yet played a strat at all but have heard them.  I plan on trying one out at my local store but would like any comments any of you have from your own experience. 

I like to play classic/southern rock, Beatles, blues and country.  I also play in our church's praise band; mostly rythm and a little lead.

Thanks in advance.

David

Please talk slowly I don't hear good any more.

Re: Strat or fat strat?

My 1960 Gibson ES330 also has Gibson P-90 pickups. I also am very happy with the way it sounds.
I use a Korg A-4 effects pedal to diversify it's sound. It comes with 60 prewritten effects and I can write 60 more.
Happy boy,
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Hi Livebaitman

I have an SSS strat and I've never had any hum, buzz or feedback and while it's a cracking guitar a friend of mine recently bought a fat strat and that humbucker really makes a difference, I love it, and ever since I've been thinking about sticking a humbucker in mine. It just gives you so much of a bigger sound but there you go, horses for courses I guess.

THe only advice I can really give you is that I don't think I've ever played 2 strats that felt the same so play as many as you can until you get one that you're completely happy with, although saying that allmost everything can be adjusted on a strat so unless you've got one that's really messed up you'll be able to get it perfect for you.

I'm playing mine through a Peavey Windsor and he plays his through a Marshall tube amp, (not sure what model), but we don't get problems through either.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

A music store guy tried to sell me Humbucker pickups to replace my P-90's. I was fortunate to have been too broke at the time to take his advice. I later bought a black Gibson ES335 with Humbuckers and hated them. Humbuckers are way too trebley for my taste. P-90's give a mellow jazz sound where Humbuckers are harsh.
I also learned that some black guitars are painted that color to hide the grain of less than desirable wood.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Fat Strat.

You will appreciate having the humbucker there when you need it...

Trust me.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Detman101 wrote:

Fat Strat.

Trust me.

Dm

That's exactly what one of my buddies tells me.

7 (edited by Detman101 2010-12-10 14:31:21)

livebaitman wrote:
Detman101 wrote:

Fat Strat.

Trust me.

Dm

That's exactly what one of my buddies tells me.

It's true.
I mean, you could always get one of those single-coil-sized humbuckers that Seymour Duncan makes.....if you wanna go the "3-SC pickup strat" route.

But from what I hear, they don't impart the warmth and Fatness that a full sized humbucker gives.

$140.00 custom http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/c … little_59/

$130 custom http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/c … pearly_ga/

JB jr http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/e … _jr_sjbj1/

lil screamin demon http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/e … reamin_de/

lil 59 http://www.seymourduncan.com/products/e … _59_for_s/

=]
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

I have a SSS custom Strat style guitar and I have big time EQ issues when alternating between it and my Guild Starfire IV - the Guild screams so I have to turn up volume and gain when I move to the strat style axe, which is an enormous pain in the ass. I also have an American Telecaster with two overwound, tapped Seymour Duncans. I use them in tapped mode for rhythm, kick 'em in for leads and they're hotter than a $12 rolex. Just a thought...

over the years I have owned 5 different strats, at the present time I have the deluxe HSS with a rosewood neck. its the first one I have had with the rosewood neck and the first one with a humbucker. for me I loved each one. reguardless of what choice you make you will love this guitar. the HSS will give you more diversity. I always went for the maple neck in the past, never taking the time to check out the rosewood. today my preference is the rosewood neck. I would advise that tou take the time to try them both before making your choice.

what a long strange trip it's been

Sorry I have been away for a little while.  I really appreciate the input.  Leaning towards the fatty.  Seems like I can get a new one for $500 which will be backed with service from my local store or one from ebay or CL for about $300.  Just not sure how much to trust a used one.  At least with CL I can try before I buy.

Kewl. You will love the Phat Strat.
Is it a 2-pickup jobbie-job or the 3-pickup one?
I prefer the 2-pickup one but I think my technique has improved enough that I don't constantly hit the middle pickup on strats anymore. i'll have to swing by the guitar store today and test that out...lol

Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

this one, but candy apple red

http://media.fmicdirect.com/fender/images/products/guitars/0144700302_frt_wmd_001.jpg

There I was, GAS cured with the purchase of a new amp and a Boss loop station and you have to post that! Lovely Strat man, I'd go for the blue.

Jerry

Awesome livebaitman!!
You're gonna love that guitar.

Buzzwagon: RC-2? What amp'd ya get?

=]
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Detman101 wrote:

Awesome livebaitman!!
You're gonna love that guitar.

Buzzwagon: RC-2? What amp'd ya get?

=]
Dm

Hi Dm

Yeah, I got the RC2, awesome bit of kit and Mrs Buzzwagon cured my GAS by buying me a Blackstar HT5 practice amp for christmas. Lovely tone and the ISF feature is brilliant. I'm usually a Peavey user but this little thing is superb, well worth checking out their stuff if you're in the market for a new tube amp.

That said, as we all know GAS can't be cured permanantly and anything is purely a temporary arrestor!

Jerry