Topic: New Year's Resolutions Thread

A belated Merry Christmas to all.  May your needs be met fully and your desires met as much as is good for you.  smile
Now, it's time to think about New Year's resolutions.  Here are mine (no particular order):

1.  Lose about 75 pounds.
2.  Become semi-proficient at barre chords (at least E and Am shapes; may save A-shape/double-barre for 2012).
3.  Become "fast" with an open B7 (x21202) and an open G with fingers 2 thru 4.

Anyone else care to share?
'Nomikal

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Re: New Year's Resolutions Thread

I usually don't do resolutions, but I have decided this year I am going to scan all my old pictures into the computer.  We all have boxes of pics and albums and so on.  Well, I am going to save them all as digital files to pass down to my children.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Get my family out in the woods on day-hikes or geocaching.

Get my family camping.

Get my family on the river. 

I'd like to say that I have some music related things to work on, but that's selfish "me" time.  I'm hoping to make this year more interested in the family doing things together.  There isn't much I can think of that would be better for their health and well-being than learning about a safe way to enjoy nature.  That's a life-long interest that can keep them going and healthy in mind and spirit long after I'm gone. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Get moved out of this drafty house

get my camp site's secured for the dutch mason blues fest,

thats it..     badeye    cool

one caper after another

I don't make them anymore,just never seems to work for me.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I'm gonna make at least one mandolin, one banjo and a slew of 3 and 4 string cigar box guitars.  I'm looking forward to 2011. Oh,  and hopefully, during all of this wood working, I'll forget about eating for a while!

Now available in 5G !

Write at least one new song each month. (wanted to say one each week but I'm not that ambitious)

Work on improving my guitar playing (or get better at mashin' them wires as my cousins in KY would say)

Do some snow camping

Run some new rivers in my raft/canoes/kayaks

Get off my arse and do some bicycle riding on local trails

Give up my successful fight against anorexia and lose a few pounds

DE

tandm3 - where in the panhandle do you live? My oldest daughter & family live in Gulf Breeze and we head down to visit them several times each year

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I don't usually do resolutions, but I've already decided that I'm going to start my Christmas shopping EARLY this year... like maybe February.  I'm just going to start picking things up that I see and like for the kids and save the stuff for Christmas.  This holiday blew by so fast that I really didn't enjoy it.  This was also the first year I was "working a job" while having sooo many to shop for that the shopping overtook the FUN parts (like baking and cookie making and house cleaning).  blah!  I want to take the time to do THAT stuff next year and having my shopping all done!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

mekidsmom wrote:

I've already decided that I'm going to start my Christmas shopping EARLY this year... like maybe February.  I'm just going to start picking things up that I see and like for the kids and save the stuff for Christmas.

There is a LOT to be said for that.  I lost my mother in August this year and was not looking forward to the holidays, but my wife (bless her) through careful planning and directing the family to get things done early and spread out over time, made this the least stressful Christmas we've had in years.  You're right, the key is to get the work done early so that the fun can be enjoyed.

mekidsmom wrote:

... the shopping overtook the FUN parts (like ... house cleaning).

You're probably the ONLY person I've ever heard describe house cleaning as being fun. wink

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Astronomikal wrote:
mekidsmom wrote:

I've already decided that I'm going to start my Christmas shopping EARLY this year... like maybe February.  I'm just going to start picking things up that I see and like for the kids and save the stuff for Christmas.

There is a LOT to be said for that.  I lost my mother in August this year and was not looking forward to the holidays, but my wife (bless her) through careful planning and directing the family to get things done early and spread out over time, made this the least stressful Christmas we've had in years.  You're right, the key is to get the work done early so that the fun can be enjoyed.

mekidsmom wrote:

... the shopping overtook the FUN parts (like ... house cleaning).

You're probably the ONLY person I've ever heard describe house cleaning as being fun. wink

It's a ball when I get to do it on my own.  My wife, God bless her, refuses to 'ask me to take on' the work alone.  I really enjoy doing it alone.  I can get a LOT done in three or four hours on my own.  The music will be CRANKED, beer will be consumed, there will be dancing, sliding, and singing, the house will get to looking worse and worse and worse until suddenly in the final 1/2 hour everything comes together and TA-DA it will look and smell great.  But with my family home, it takes days, we don't ever finish, we don't get a good job done because we're always ain each other's way, and it's a real chore.  I don't mind a bit taking the kids and leaving her to do the cleaning.  She likes the time alone.  So that's how we usually work it out.  I take the kids and we go for a hike or to Bass Pro Shops or tramping around Gettysburg or something like that and she does all the work.  Sweet deal. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

1. learn other styles besides Blues and Rock on the guitar.
2. Finish my certifications
3. Go out more often.
4. Spend more quality time out with the family.
5. Be a better husband/man/father

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle