Topic: chuck berry

I was just reading my netzero log in page,in the entertainment area they had an article that chuck berry had become exausted while he was onstage in chicago saterday night. Its a wonder he is still doing them as he is eighty four years old. Guess he wants to keep on rocking.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Re: chuck berry

Wow. Guess he and Joe Paterno have the same bunny batteries. I think they are both the same age.

Our intuitions serve us well

I saw Chuck in concert about two years ago and it was really sad.  The guy's playing and singing were so diminished that the pick-up band behind him had to keep adjusting itself just so you could hear him.  For most of the barely 30-minute show, the drummer played with Blastix, a step up from brushes.  When I played drums with Chuck 26 years ago, he was rocking so hard I had to bash away with all my might.  The last time I saw him, he couldn't even get through an entire song without forgetting the words or the chords and coming to a complete stop.  The audience was polite in the presence of this legend, but many were complaining afterward that they felt ripped off.

I wish him well, but I think it's time for Chuck to take it easy.

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

I will be 70 in September. I had to quit playing tuba on stage due to my wind diminishing and other problems. I can still roar for an hour or so at jam sessions. Been playing so long I can fool people into thinking I still have lungs.
Singing and playing guitar while seated requires much less physical effort. I still play short three hour gigs as a guitar song guy. I will post a video this week to show what horsepower I have left. it's still fun for me. I will quit totally when I fail to remember lyrics.
Not quite ready to quit strumming and plant by booty in front of a T.V. just yet.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

>>>>Not quite ready to quit strumming and plant by booty in front of a T.V. just yet.<<<

I certainly wasn't suggesting that anybody needs to quit solely because of their age.  Buddy Rich was still the world's greatest drummer at age 70, Keith Richards is still rocking out at 70, and guys like BB King can still bring the house down at 86.  Chuck, however, is a different story.  He has always had somewhat of a bad attitude (however much justified) and never struck me as the kind of performer who would stick around forever, unless it was solely to punish all the rich white people who took advantage of him for so many years.

TubaTooter:  I am now 48 and have switched from drums to uke/banjo uke so I can make music until I drop dead.  I hope you will do the same!

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

Age certainly takes its toll.  People like those mentioned above will probably die on stage.  It is still a pleasure to watch them, no matter how slow they have become.  Chuck Berry is a music icon and will remain so for many years to come.  I will be 60 shortly and still feel young at heart, although with the daily aches and pains, I am also slower than I used to be.  That's life.  We will keep playing in whatever capacity, for as long as we can.  Toots, way to go on the 70 mark.  You are the man.  I hope you are able to enjoy your playing for many years to come.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Back in '72 we had a 50's nostalgia/Sha-Na-Na copy band and warmed up for him.  We all hoped to meet him, but he got out of the limo, plugged in, played and was back in the limo.  We had to load-out right away, so I didn't even get to see his performance.

PapaTom wrote:

>>>>Not quite ready to quit strumming and plant by booty in front of a T.V. just yet.<<<

TubaTooter:  I am now 48 and have switched from drums to uke/banjo uke so I can make music until I drop dead.  I hope you will do the same!

What, make music or drop dead?  smile
Just kidding.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Toots - I hope to have 1/2 your energy when I am your age. Heck, I wish I had 1/2 your energy now. You are a rockin' grandpa - keep it up.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

>>>Back in '72 we had a 50's nostalgia/Sha-Na-Na copy band and warmed up for him.  We all hoped to meet him, but he got out of the limo, plugged in, played and was back in the limo. <<<

Same here.  But I was actually IN HIS BAND that night and he never even introduced himself.  Fortunately, I was the drummer, so I didn't need much information to follow his lead and pull off the show.  The rest of the guys spent the whole show guessing what song he was playing and in what key -- and this was in front of a full house at Madison Square Garden's Felt Forum!

My band opened for Chuck in Ottawa, Ont. Canada in the mid seventies. He was everything we expected on stage. A bit aloof off stage, but we were so "high" and star struck we didn't care. It was Chuck Berry!!!!
Never seen him live again so that is how I will remeber him.
Johnny V