Topic: Corn Explosion

Just got back from a camping trip with the family. My father in law told me that if you put a can of corn in the fire that the explosion is ridiculous. He was right. Damn near burned the cabin down! If you don't want to wait you can ffwd to 5.30 to see the big boom. smile

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwP_NUoBmbg

Re: Corn Explosion

I see that every time I eat corn...Me and corn don't mix lol

I hope you didn't burn the house down. smile

Thanks for the link BGD

Ken

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Hey B-G-D, did ya get splattered? lol   BTW-- thats funny Kap. I can relate.    Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

Had me in suspense.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I've been around at least a million campfires in my life but never thought of that KABOOM!

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

You could probably do it with any can of liquid or semi liquid foods. The liquid gets hot, steam forms and pretty soon the pressure gets to be greater than the can is able to tolerate. It is known as a BLEVE: Boiling Liquid Expanding Vapor Explosion. Good fun just don't be in the way of the ends of the can when it BLEVEs.

7 (edited by dino48 2011-01-01 02:51:03)

now that you are trained the army mightwant you to fight the bad guys in the middle east ( hope no littlle kids try this stuff)

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

You got it bunbun. We also used beans...explosion not nearly as good though.  Had embers spread over 40 feet or so. Was really dumb'in retrospect.

Any can of anything packed in water will provide a satisfying pop.   We do it with cans of beer.  Place the can so the tab is facing down, and it will launch like a suds powered rocket.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Good one, Dude!  You've given me some ideas for my next camping trip.

Why do I expect to see some new "campfire bomb" segments on the "1000 Ways to Die" TV show?

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

Artless I really would not suggest that. Our cabin, picnic tables, my new truck were all coated in embers - they shot out to a radius of 40' or so.

Amaze your friends with this demonstration of thermodynamics in action.
Fill any paper or styrofoam cup with water - all the way to the top.
Place it in the fire without spilling the water - somewhat difficult but possible
The cup will not burn or melt until the water is gone.
I performed this feat a few years ago for a bunch of pre-adolescent boys.
They were captivated for the duration - as were their fathers.

Sorry, no explosions, just ultimately one less cup in the world.