Topic: The playing in position Blues

Hi everyone, I have recently started playing scales and playing in position.
The problem I am experiencing is that I am quite a small person and find that my ring finger and pinky really struggle to reach the last two frets.I am currently playing a Yamaha F310 that is great when I play open chords and barre chords.
Is practice the only thing I need to do? Try a smaller guitar?
I just feel like I am not getting anywhere and wonder if I should go buy a triangle or something?

Any advice appreciated.

Jamie R

Re: The playing in position Blues

How are you holding your left hand? Your thumb should be in the middle of the neck, try not to wrap your palm around the neck.

I think I've explained that dreadfully hmm Aside from that the only thing is to practice, exercise the muscles in your hands and eventually you'll get there.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

My problem too, not wraping the thumb around the neck, hard habit to break

Do a Google search on "guitar left hand stretching", and you'll get about a brazillion hits for exercises to improve your reach.  Take it easy on the stretching, though; it's easy to injure yourself.  Other than that, thumb position is by far the most important factor in reach.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Guilty of wrapping my thumb around the neck, will try the " correct " way and see if I can crack it.

Thanks guys.

I'm a thumb-wrapper, too.  I practice not doing it, but sometimes in the heat of the moment, it just wraps itself right on around.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

There's nothing at all wrong with wrapping your thumb. I use my thumb to fret the low e string and also to help crank on the vibrato during string bends. Just don't do it all the time. smile

Dexterity, stretching, and strength exercises.  You would have to be not just a small person but a very small person with exceptionally short fingers to not be able to reach once your hands and fingers are prepared for it by appropriate exercises. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Well, it seems as though I am also a thumb wrapper.  It is a hard thing to beat.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I am a thumb wrapper to,sounds like we are all about to same. Jamier I have short fingers also along with the other good advice above try using a rubber ball you can squize and some hand grip exercisers you can get at a sports store to get some strength in your fingers. wrapping is aright way for most guitar players.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Thanks for all the advice guys.
I am sure it will help.

Jamie R

I am a thumb wrapper too. I heard twirling a drumstick in your fingers will give you better dexterity in your fingers (As well as giving you a cool party trick).