Topic: Hello and a question

Hey, everyone.  Enjoying the site and picking up a lot of tips even though I haven't posted before.

I've been learning for a few months now.  Started on a loaner classical guitar from my son-in-law but it was difficult to play.  Bought a Fender acoustic kit for my birthday and I'm finding it a lot easier to play.

What I was hoping you could help me with is fingering for Gsus.  I've got a song ("I Am Redeemed" by Brian Free & Assurance) that has it in one spot.  It goes from F to Gsus to Dm7.  I've looked it up on Chordfind.com but don't know which fingers to use where.

Thanks ahead of time.

Scott
Philippians 3:13, 14
Takamine GS330S

Re: Hello and a question

Option 1:

Barre a G chord and then use your pinky to fret the 5th fret G string (that's the sus4)

Option 2:

This looks like an open G chord but you'll be playing the suspended 4th on the b string.

Good luck.

Hi and welcome to chordie!

There are two common fingerings for Gsus that I know of.
One that is a little bit harder would be the Gsus barre chord-
_|_|1|_|_|
_|_|1|_|_|
_|_|_|_|4|
_|_|_|_|3|
_|_|_|_|2|
_|_|1|_|_|

The second, and easier, would be played like this-

_|_|4|_|_|
1|_|_|_|_|
_|_|_|_|_|
_|_|_|_|_|
_|2|_|_|_|
_|_|3|_|_|

Hope that helps

Mark

Oh I like how you did that.

Thanks.  I knew I could get help here.  I'll probably go with the easier fingering not the barre.  It's my newbie's opinion that barre chords are evil and should be avoided at almost any cost. (Actually, I'm trying to learn Bm and it's giving me screaming fits.)

Scott
Takamine GS330S

Try www.cordfind.com

Question:  When you see "sus" by itself (as in "Gsus") instead of Gsus2 or Gsus4, is it normally assumed that it means sus4 and not sus2?

In other words, how do you know it's not calling for a sus2?

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

srpetty wrote:

Thanks.  I knew I could get help here.  I'll probably go with the easier fingering not the barre.  It's my newbie's opinion that barre chords are evil and should be avoided at almost any cost. (Actually, I'm trying to learn Bm and it's giving me screaming fits.)

Welcome to Chordie,   learn barre chords, what a joy it will be. a hard thing to do but worth it.

badeye   cool

one caper after another

badeye wrote:
srpetty wrote:

Welcome to Chordie,   learn barre chords, what a joy it will be. a hard thing to do but worth it.

badeye   cool

Thanks for the welcome and the encouragement, badeye.  I am resolved to learn barre chords.  What you said is true of so many things in life.  The hard stuff is worth it.

Scott
Takamine GS330S

hey srpetty,you do not have to use any finger that they tell you to,I use what ever I feel comfotable with,so you can change things around if you feel like it. I had trouble with the b and f chords and alot of us do you just have to keep practicising them.If you do not use them you will not be able too play alot of songs.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

can anybody send me a chord chart on D9/6 please.I am trying to play the horse with no name by America.

Cheers Richie

Lol Me bad it's www.chordfind.com sorry