Topic: GET BACK TO PLAYING!

I love the sound of the acoustic guitar. Always have as far as I can remember. I decided to do something about it when I was about 20 (1983). I purchased a used Takamine dreadnought from a co-worker for $150. He offered to teach me and started me with left-hand exercises to learn the fretboard. This lasted about a month. I didn't even know how to tune the guitar or whether or not it was even in tune. About a year later I sold the guitar for $150.

Fast forward to 2008. (I am now 45.) I get a big promotion at work and my wife says let's set aside $1000 for me to buy myself something. The NEXT DAY I was standing in Guitar Center. I called home and got the green light to purchase a guitar. For her, this was shocking as I had never mentioned this aspiration before. (By the way I came in WAY under budget: A used Seagull SWS dreadnought for $350. Mint! GC didn't know what they had. Nor did I really.)

My goal was to become a "very good" guitar player. (Yes, this was a purposely vague goal.) I decided I wanted to be "self-taught". I'm a smart guy I can do this. Somewhere around the six month mark I discovered the wonders of Craig's List and purchased a 12-string. (Still couldn't play a six but why shoud that stop me?) The floodgates opened but not the ones I had hoped or maybe the ones you are thinking. Instead of accelerating my guitar skills I became obsessed with researching, buying and selling guitars. I am know very knowledgeable and have owned 7-8 guitars. (My current inventory is 3.) I had lost sight of my original goal.

I'm reading "Life" by Keith Richards. This is a well-written book and fantastic. Yes, there is a lot of talk about drugs, etc but the theme that is slowing revealing itself to me is guitar-playing is hard work. It requires focus, dedication, and a love of playing. Whether you like the Rolling Stones, Keith Richards, drugs or not, this is a good book and these truths remain.

Now when I hear a Rolling Stones song (or any song for that matter) I am reminded of all the hard work that was required for it to end up in my ears and brain. This serves as hope and inspiration for me to stick to my goal and GET BACK TO PLAYING.

I guess I'm spoiled living in Metro Atlanta. I have many guitar shops (big and small) to chose from including THREE GCs within driving distance. I also enjoy a robust Craig's List. Unfortunatley because of this I spend too much time looking and not enough time playing.

So, my New Year's resolution (begining now, Why wait?) is to: GET BACK TO PLAYING!

Re: GET BACK TO PLAYING!

I've set a goal for myself of scales and dexterity exercises for 15 minutes a day.  I haven't stuck to it, but in a very short period I can already see how it has improved my playing.  My recommendation to you is to be more precise in daily goals.  Find a warmup exercise on Youtube that you like, and then do some scales practice.  Maybe 15 minutes worth.  Or maybe alternate scales one day and chord changes the next.  But do something very purposefully for at least 15 minutes per day.  Then do whatever the heck you feel like working on - like a particular song or a snippet of a solo or what have you for however long you feel like.  If you play every day, within six months you'll be doing pretty well and probably ready to sit in on some campfire or front porch jams. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf,
You nailed it: purposeful practice. This is my weakness. I "piddle" around with same things over and over. Then I wonder why I'm not further along. Fortunately I love "playing" so practices are not drudgery. To my credit I do practice one scale, don't know which, but i'm fairly proficient with it but can't "use it" yet.

Justin at www.justinguitars.com suggests practicing scales until you can actually use them. I'm not there yet.

Also as a deviation from chords I am learning the solo in Sublime's "What I Got". this gets me away from the 1st position an into terra incognita (in and around the 12th fret). I've got this just need speed and work on timing, and bending the last note. This exercise proved to me I can play "difficult" stuff if I break it down and practice.

All of which requires patience.

4 (edited by bensonp 2010-12-23 15:52:05)

I am sure that once you start practicing again and get better, that you will also start buying more expensive guitars.  That is what I do for myself as a gift for getting a little better.  It keeps me going.  Good luck with the practice.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Man in reading this I've got to go find some scales to practice.
(CC hangs head) Yes I'm a Piddler also...Stuff Over and Over and ummm Over.
Great advice folks..   My teacher never had me work on scales..
I wonder what else I forgot to teach my DANG self.   GAWD !!!!
hehehehe.

Good luck Naolslager

Lots of scales exercises on Youtube.  Justinguitar.com has a scales lesson that looks like it ought to be good if I ever actually got around to it...

That's the problem with teaching yourself.  Your teacher doesn't know any more than you do.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I live in Metro Atlanta too, what part are you in?

Woodstock

Johns Creek here, we are practically neighbors.

10 (edited by naolslager 2010-12-29 14:09:19)

Step 1.
I went through my "playbook" yesterday and removed several of the songs I was hoping to learn to play. Most were too much of a stretch. Then I printed out the fingerings for several scales and added them to my notebook. I also placed the "note circle" on the front cover! Back to the basics.

I'm using Justin Sandercoe's (www.justinguitar.com) advice on structured practices with goals I've written down. I am still working on the latter but I will have them established by New Years.

I might even start using the old metronome!

I'm not getting any younger. If I want to be a "good" guitar player I must change course. Wish me luck.
David

p.s. I did retain my "alternate tunings" cheat sheet just for fun.

I realize I'm probably talking to myself but it helps as I go through this process. I also realize this "conversation" is akin to the "Julie and Julia" idea (from the book/movie).

Step 2.
Sell off guitar inventory so I'm back to ONE guitar. My Guild is for sale in the Chordie Marketplace and my Yamaha Jumbo is likely sold to a local fellow. This leaves me with the Art & Lutherie Dread. This is sort of a Henry David Thoreau moment where I reduce life - in this case, guitar playing - to its essence. One man, one guitar, and a renewed laser focus on learning to play the guitar.

How long will this last? No one knows. I do reserve the right to acquire a "travel guitar" - I do fly commerical air a lot - and, maybe, a 12-string. But that's it! Right.

Scales trick:  Learn scaales based on the shape pattern, rather than the root.   If you learn one major scale pattern, you can effectively play all 12 major scales with it by simply moving that pattern down the neck. 

That is to say, if you learn "C major" you might think oh man, now I have to learn 11 more "major" scales.  Rather, think  "I know the scale pattern associated with C major in the open position.  If I play it at the 5th fret, now I'm playing D."

There are only five things you need to know to play guitar.  C A G E and D.   smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Careful with that practice thing! I go through phases of practicing scales and such but when it becomes a chore rather than a pleasure I kick it to the curb.

I try to measure my playing success by the amount  of enjoyment rather than technical accomplishments. While this may retard my growth as a player somewhat, I always try to remember why I play: not to be famous, not to impress someone else, but rather because I love to make music (for better or for worse)

I guess the moral is: don't practice so much that you forget to have fun. Enjoying it is what it is all about.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

OP:

I understand, all too well, the whole process of getting side-tracked from playing your instrument.  During the years I was bashing it out as a freelance drummer in New York, I always managed to find myriad ways to avoid practicing and promoting myself by getting involved with various side projects, including buying and selling drum gear.

Because guitars are so much more collectible, I can see why you might get caught up in the excitement of dealing them.  The satisfaction you get from flipping an instrument is instantaneous and intoxicating.  Attaining the same rush from practicing your instrument can take weeks or months.  The difference is, the former lasts a few hours - while the latter can stay with you for a lifetime.

Don't let anything knock you off course again.  Have fun shedding your guitar in 2011!

Me with my first ukulele, a Junior Beatles model, in 1966.  After Mom threw it down the stairs in a fit of rage, I became a drummer for life.  At age 43, I bought my second uke...

15 (edited by naolslager 2011-01-03 11:02:53)

Update:
I almost sold one of my guitars yesterday. The dude (prospective purchaser) shows up with 4/5 of the money hoping I would drop my price by 20%. Of course I did not discover this until the end of the meeting when it came to the negotiation.

I listed the price as firm. I don't know about you but I always show up with the asking price in my pocket. I wouldn't ever assume the buyer will drop the price. Of course, this was a kid with his mom not wise in the ways of buying and selling used guitars. Nice kid, I did not make an issue of it but I did remind him my price is firm.

So the inventory stands at three. I am almost ready to establish a moratorium on eBay and Craig's List shopping so I can focus my time and energy on playing.

Back to work today.

I find that some of my biggest improvements in playing have come after putting he guitar down for a while. I've played at least 20 minutes a day, 5 days a week for the last 25 years except for a few times when I've taken a week or two off. I find that rather than trying to play through plateaus it helps to just take a little break and re-approach the instrument with a fresh head.

I believe this is effective because the process of playing guitar and thinking about music are two totally different things (at least for me). Back when I was learning modes and improvisation, I got caught up too much in the mechanics (learning finger patterns, root notes, arpeggios, scale drills, etc), and didn't learn about/think about musicality nearly enough.

Today I find that I use fewer notes and scales than ever before but my playing sounds a hell of a lot better than it used to 'cuz I'm not just running scale patterns when I solo...and it's largely due to the little breaks I take every few years or so.

17 (edited by naolslager 2011-01-06 18:01:38)

Trying to comply with the inventory reduction act of 1964. Two guitars for sale; two potential buyers; one showing today. Wish me luck.

The Guild is gone: sold for the asking price.
The Yamaha is sale-pending. (Hopefully I will sell it tomorrow.)
The Art & Lutherie will remain my go-to until and if I decide to replace it with a "nicer" guitar.
I did purchase a Martin LXK2 for my travel needs.

Played two Martin D-15s today, good but not great, - the reason I sold the Guild, on the other hand the D-16GT was nice...but not today.

Time to turn on the laser and GET BACK TO PLAYING. (Which I have been doing by the way. I've already replaced the batteries in the laser twice since Christmas.)

Good news.  Now GO SPEND FIVE MINUTES ON DEXTERITY EXERCISES, TEN MINUTES ON SCALES, AND PLAY THREE SONGS ALL THE WAY THROUGH.  Have a nice day. 

- Zurf

You are inspiring me more.  Reduce the distractions and go forward.  Love it!   I am wanting to learn lead riffs.   It still alludes my understanding.  So far, just a straight  player.

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qI7y9ivs5Y[/url]  lol
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEyW2SEHfzM[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WeJjPLqyQ[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkcYALHslEY[/url]

21 (edited by naolslager 2011-01-08 11:55:13)

Zurf,
Really all I can say is: Yes sir! You are a task-master. I complied (more or less) with your directive last night. I hope you are not surprised but I had a blast! I played for about two hours and the only reason I stopped is I felt guilty that my wife was solo. She has been very supportive of what she considers a mid-life crisis.

Gabbysings2: I am glad I am able to provide inspiration for others. God knows I've received my fair share from Chordie, Youtube, and other friends. It's time I repay by contributing instead of just consuming.

Giddy-up! to all.
David

naoslager - Far better to be at home playing guitar than out cruising for young chicks in your convertible sports car.  Some mid-life crises are more easily encouraged by wives than others.   I'm glad you had a good time.  Now I need to take my own advice.

- Zurf

Update:
The Yamaha is sold AND I purchased an inexpensive 12-string off eBay. Inventory is at three where it shall remain. I've imposed a moratorium on all guitar-related browsing/purchasing on Craig's List and Ebay.

Zurf,
My mid-life "sports car" is a Ford Taurus with 186,000+ miles on it. A real chick magnet!
David

thats cool to know I have a chick magnet type of car,I have a 99 ford taurus and so far I have not got any bites!.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman