1 (edited by srpetty 2011-01-13 19:17:29)

Topic: Would you buy a guitar online?

Saw this

http://www.amazon.com/Breedlove-Passpor … mp;sr=1-34

and it seemed like a good deal (not that I can afford it.)

Most of the advice I've seen here on buying is go to a store, try some guitars, see what you like, and buy.  Would (or have) you bought a guitar online?  Did you try it out somewhere first and then order it?  Just wondering.

Scott
Philippians 3:13, 14
Takamine GS330S

Re: Would you buy a guitar online?

Hi scott,The advice you got was good ,I see alot of guitars I would like to buy online but I will not buy one as I want to see if it feels and sounds right for me. I will only buy one that I have played even if it is the same model right next to it.Looks like you are new to the sight so welcome to chordie.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I have only bought one guitar on line and it two was a Breedlove. I already owned a Breedlove before I bought it, and I was very familiar with the brand. Although I never played the model I was purchasing I was confident about the name. It was a high end model and I felt that if the seller purchased it originally , then he must know how to take care of it. So I wasnt worried about physical damage or wear. He packaged it and shipped it properly. I even took it to a local Luthier to get set up, and he looked it over, played it and handed back to me and told me he wouldnt do a thing to it. He said he didnt want to take my money for doing nothing, it played beautifully. I was lucky I guess, But I do agree that you should at least be familiar with the model guitar youre buying on line. Don't get me wrong, Ive heard my fair share of horror stories as well. Keep us posted and let us know how you make out. Happy hunting.

4 (edited by bensonp 2011-01-13 18:25:26)

That's excellent advice, however I have bought two guitars online over the years and am happy with both.  There is usually a 30 day return option from most music stores, so if you just don't like it, you can send it back.  And being confident of the brand is another important decision, as was stated.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I've bought over 50 online and only had 1 bad experience and it was rectified by the seller....   I have no hesitations in ordering a guitar unplayed.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Guitarpix wrote:

I've bought over 50 online and only had 1 bad experience and it was rectified by the seller....   I have no hesitations in ordering a guitar unplayed.

Pix, you say you bought 50/ Wow! Your wife must deeply love you to put up with that.
My wife would let me buy a second tuba if I can demonstrate to her satisfaction that I can play two at the same time. roll

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

tubatooter1940 wrote:
Guitarpix wrote:

Pix, you say you bought 50/ Wow! Your wife must deeply love you to put up with that.
My wife would let me buy a second tuba if I can demonstrate to her satisfaction that I can play two at the same time. roll

You should not have posted that.  Now my tinkering mind is going crazy with ideas of funnels, inner tubes, toilet seats, tubing, diaphragms, and cans of beans. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have bought two guitars online. One was an Art & Lutherie, never played one before, but couldn't pass up the deal. It is now my favorite guitar. It is so easy to play. I think I lucked out tho. The second was an AE Yamaha. I tried one at Guitar Center and then found it online cheaper. I agree with Dino. Hands on, then order.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Zurf wrote:
tubatooter1940 wrote:
Guitarpix wrote:

You should not have posted that.  Now my tinkering mind is going crazy with ideas of funnels, inner tubes, toilet seats, tubing, diaphragms, and cans of beans. 

- Zurf

OK...I'll bite...why cans of beans?

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Well I ordered one today for my daugter. Only because the local dealer just will not deal. I hate to send my money somewhere else but 700 dollars off map is hard to ignore. I ordered a floor model and the the salesman said he looked at it and said it looked pristine. He said if I did not like it I has 45 days to send it back. Sounds pretty sweet, and I hope so. It is a Taylor GC-5 mahogony with ceder top.

Ibanez ew20ase-nt
Martin D-18
Taylor GC-5

I have purchased on-line with good results. Advice: "Be Careful with that Axe, Eugene."

I'm not really looking to buy right now.  Just got my first guitar three months ago.  Picked up a Fender DG-8 kit from a local store.  The new still hasn't worn off and I keep looking around.  Probably setting a bad precedent.

I just wanted to know how the folks here felt about buying online.  Being such a newbie, I'm gleaning a lot about playing, practicing, and purchasing here.  Thanks for the replies.

Scott
Philippians 3:13, 14
Takamine GS330S

srpetty wrote:

I'm not really looking to buy right now.  Just got my first guitar three months ago.  Picked up a Fender DG-8 kit from a local store.  The new still hasn't worn off and I keep looking around.  Probably setting a bad precedent.

I just wanted to know how the folks here felt about buying online.  Being such a newbie, I'm gleaning a lot about playing, practicing, and purchasing here.  Thanks for the replies.

Three months ago???? It's about time to add another guitar to that collection, don't ya think!!!!

14 (edited by Zurf 2011-01-17 16:07:48)

To address the original topic, I think if the guitar can be returned to the sender with a full or nearly full refund, then buying on-line isn't so bad a deal.  However, if you can't return it no matter what, then that can be a problem.  My Yamaha F-310 was purchased on-line through a service at work and it worked out OK. 

To Geoaguiar: Regarding the beans, for Toots to be playing a second tuba he will need a second source of wind to power the instrument given that his mouth will already be occupied with the first tuba.  A tuba mouthpiece takes up a fair bit of space and unless he has a mouth like a muppet, there will not be room for a second mouthpiece.  Therefore ....  beans.  I did actually play two baritones at once to see whether it could be done.  That was a curious experiment.  I did get notes out of both instruments at once, but was not sufficiently ambidextrous to operate the valves on both instruments simultaneously. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I've always thought that an acoustic should be tried before buying it because theres only so much that can be done to one to increase its worth. As for an electric it has more that can be done to it to make it better and as long as you buy from a reputable dealer that allows returns then you should be fine. What are you looking for in particular?

I've bought two guitars on-line and was unhappy with both of their necks.  Fortunately, neither one has collector value so I took a sander to both of them.  One was a big fat Martin style (not a real Martin) and the other was a wide "D" shaped neck..  Both are now softened "V" shaped and much more comfortable for me.  My recommendation is try first then buy.. unless its a smoking good deal.

Now available in 5G !