Topic: How much would it cost me to replace my bridge?

I had the bridge on my guitar fixed about six months ago, and it broke again. sad So now I'm gonna have it fixed or maybe replaced. But last time I had it fixed the guy cut me a deal because he knew my family. So he fixed my bridge and replaced and lowered my strings for $10. Now I know I should give him more this time, but I don't know how much I should offer. What is a standard price for having a bridge replaced?

"absolutely epic and really really loud" ~Zurf
                            ^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

Re: How much would it cost me to replace my bridge?

I don't know either, but why don't you have him fix it again and ask him what you owe him, then ask him what he normally charges.  Then meet him somewhere in between.  Good luck.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

A replacement bridge from Stew-Mac is under 20 bucks.  However, it requires quite a bit of hand work to position, glue, re-ream the bridge-pin holes, fit the saddle....
This would normally be at least a couple of hours work at shop rates...
I would think you'd be looking at a minimum of a hundred bucks or so.

Bridges don't normally break, though they often pull away from the guitar on older instruments.  How did you manage to break it?

Last time I asked him how much I owed him and he just said ten bucks. So I tried to give him $30, but he wouldn't take it. But I think thirty's not enough either.

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

(Just saw Bikewer's post after I posted my response.)
Alright, a hundred. Well, that's about what I figured was the usual price. I inherited the guitar from my uncle. It was split when I got it. He played a lot. In about 6 months time I've managed to crack it again. Thanks for the estimate, Bikewer.

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

If it is just the saddle that has been replaced then the $10 price is about right if it really is the complete bridge then it would be about $100.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

Nope. It's the bridge - unfortunately. Here's a picture of it. Do you think it's worth it? I love it and it plays real smooth. But would it be smarter to invest in a new guitar?

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

8 (edited by auxi 2011-04-06 20:12:47)

Know this is an old thread, sorry...

I just took my guitar to the repairman a week and a half ago and got it back yesterday. I couldn't believe it the man only charged me $10 again!! And he replaced my strings for free !! I'm so happy!!! smile  smile  smile

^
                      Life right?
Katie tongue

That repairman must really like you to repair it and replace the strings on it for only ten dollars!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman