Topic: Do you know anything about this guitar?

Can anyone identify the possible age of this guitar as well as a potential value? It is a Alvarez regent 5212.

http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/msg/2166280898.html

I am looking or a vintage Alvarez or Yamaha guitar. The seller does not know the age of this guitar. The headstock looks 90's but it looks like adjustable bridge which I thought was a feature on older guitars. I think it is just another laminate guitar but I don't want to miss out if it is something special.

Re: Do you know anything about this guitar?

Not sure of the exact age but it's lower end Alvarez... Nothing special at that price and yea, I'd agree that it's almost surely laminate... In general, adjustable bridges are a sure sign of lower end guitars... Though there are a few exceptions out there... The design didn't take well due to poor sound transference to the top.  I'd suggest looking for a vintage Yairi vs Alvarez. Contrary to popular belief, Yairi and Alvarez are not related and are totally different guitars... Alvarez just happens to be the distributor for the US market, elsewhere in the world they are known simply as K yairi's...  Old yamahas are nice and have great tone (especially the nippon gakki's) but almost all will need a neck reset.  They are known for being weak in that area and most often the cost of restoring outweighs the benefits.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

I don't know anything about them but it looks to be in very good shape.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hi

I don't know a lot about these guitars but I believe they were manufactured from1989-1997, the specs are Spruce Laminate Top, Mahogany Back and 1 Piece Mahogany Neck,
Rosewood Fret Board, Rosewood Bridge CF laminate.  As it is not specified I presume the sides are also laminate. The price is a bit much.  Have a look around they are available from $75 up to $199 depending on condition. I would leave well alone unless you can get the seller to lower his valuation.

Regards

Ian

All things good to know are difficult to learn.
Greek Proverb

I have decided to pass on this one. I thought the logo on the headstock was newest design they used but the adjustable bridge got me wondering. Alvarez does make a good entry level guitar but I already have one. I did not know that about Yairi and Alvarez, I did think that Yairi was the premium line of guitars made by Alvarez.

Southrnrockr,
Check out Harmony Central reviews. There are several comment there.
your Woodstock neighbor,
David