Topic: FAVORITE SONG LINES

i have got many favorite lines from songs, i was just wondering if other members had their favs too, such as:

ten thousand holes in blackburn, lancashire. now they know how many holes it takes to fill the albert hall!

isnt that a brilliant line from "a day in the life" lennon at his best.

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Re: FAVORITE SONG LINES

With all the great songwriters that have been around, I'm sure we all have many lyrics that speak to us.  Of the dozens (if not hundreds) here are a few of mine:

"The Mississippi Delta was shining like a National guitar".......Paul Simon's "Graceland"

"Daddy's hands were soft and kind when I was cryin', Daddy's hands were hard as steel when I'd done wrong" .......... Holly Dunn's "Daddy's Hands"

"Rainy day people don't talk, they just listen till they've heard it all" .......... Gordon Lightfoot's "Rainy Day People"

"This old guitar taught me to sing a love song. It showed me how to laugh and how to cry"............ John Denver's "This Old Guitar"

"There's a hole in Daddy's arm where all the money goes"............. John Prine's "Sam Stone"

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

"You know I'm tied to you like the buttons on your blouse"..................Warren Zevon "Keep Me In Your Heart"

Oh, there's just so many.  Earlier today I heard a John Prine song where he used the line "It takes two to make three."  Isn't that wonderful? 

From "Everybody's Talkin'" "I'm going where the weather suits my clothes."   Doesn't that give imagery of an ill-prepared person out of place? 

And not everything has to be amazing.  I rather like "A mirror that lies, a mirror that lies, that couldn't be me in that gorilla disguise" from Jimmy Buffett's "This Hotel Room." 

There's so many good ones from traditional country gospel too.  From "Everybody Wants To Go To Heaven But Nobody Wants to Die" and speaking of Jesus, "At the end, He knew His Father's friends.  He was brave enough going to his death, but He didn't want to die."  And from Oh Death, "Oh Death, where is thy sting?  Grave where is thy suffering?  You thought you had a hold on me, but you were wrong I've been set free!"  [That last is public domain - don't worry about the copyright of having too many lyrics]    These get right to the heart of the matter, don't they?  Agree with the concept or don't, they are powerful lyrics. 

My whole head is filled with nothing but old lyrics and movie scenes, so I'll be back to this time and again probably.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

No more I love yous ... Annie Lennox
With a head full os snow ... Rolling Stones ..Moonlight Nile
Looking down on empty streets, All she can see, Are the dreams made solid, Are the dreams made real... Peter Gabriel

George Jones sings
I'll be over you when the grass grows over me.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

I have made quite a collection of off-the-wall country songs and there are loads of great lines but my all time favourite is from Drop Kick Me Jesus Through The Goalposts of Life by Bobby Bare - "I've got the will Lord if you've got the toe"

Ian

All things good to know are difficult to learn.
Greek Proverb

The best rock lyric ever - But he cant be a man cos he doesnt smoke the same cigarettes as me - Jagger / Richards

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

They are one a person,  they are two alone, they are three toghter,  they are four each other.  from crosby,stills and nash song   "Helplessly Hoping"

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

In a song co-written by Steve Goodman and Jimmy Buffett titled Distantly In Love, they move the song forward by saying different ways to sum the verse in each chorus.  First, he's writing a letter he has no intention of mailing andd the chorus says "I can't help but be, ruled by my inconsistencies."  In a later verse, he talks of going off to a mutual friend of the missing woman to drink wine and look at old pictures of them together and the chorus says "I can't help but be ruled by my antiquities."  As the song wraps up, he explains how he has heard that the woman has moved on with another man and the singer has elected to forego any further attempts at contact and it wraps up "I can't help but be part of my own philosophy."  I love it when the chorus is used to reinforce and move the story of the song along. 

One song I'm learning now is by Neil Young and it is about a family losing their house.  The song is "This Old House" and there is no good line in the song.  The entire composition is an exceptionally bright star among a whole galaxy of wonder written by that worthy musician.  I'd be breaking the rules to post the lyrics here, so I recommend looking up the song lyrics or checking it out on Youtube.  It was released during the 1987 recession, but is as relevant if not moreso today given how the current recession and housing foreclosures are so integrally connected.

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Wow, no doubt tons of great lines.. 
I could drink a case of you and still be on my feet..  Joni Mitchell
Oh yeah, life goes on, long after the thrill of living is gone..  John Mellancamp
And if I can be really idealisic..  "Imagine all the people living life in peace"  J L

Beatles, Hide Your Love Away...Gather round all you clowns, Let me hear you say.

John Prine, Sam Stone...Jesus Christ died for nothing I suppose.

Just Keepin on Keepin on
Martin DC15E
Cort MR710F
Squire Strat (Chinese)

Another one of my favorites comes from JerryLee Lewis.
She didn't mean to be unkind, Why She Even Woke Me Up To Say Goodbye!

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

one of my fav's  is

Muddy Waters. 

"Give me champange when I'm thirsty,give me  reefer when I want to get high"

and Albert Coillins, "I ain't drunk, I'm just drinkin"

badeye    cool

one caper after another

A few more:

Hey     farmer farmer, put away that D.D.T. now. Give me     spots on my apples but leave me the birds and the bees - Joni Mitchell

You know the preacher likes the cold. He knows I'm gonna stay - Mamas and The Papas

Well I told my congress man and he said, quote: "I'd like to help you son but you're too young to vote" - Eddie Cochran

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Any line from Angel Eyes - Jeff Healey

Girls got lightnin' underneath her skirt, boys try to touch it for whatever its worth - Again Tonight - John Mellencamp

Any line from Human Wheels - John Mellencamp

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I think that it was in a song by Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young.  Possibly "Old Man".
Anyway here it is: "It doesn't mean that much to me, to mean that much to you."

there are some really great lines here. here's one from a band you might not have heard of ...

she wakes up. she makes up. she takes her time and doesn't feel she has to hurry, she no longer needs you. pm

yeah, a kick in the teeth sad

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

Welcome to the Chordie forums PalmettoBAR.  You are correct on two counts.  That the line is from Old Man and also it is an exceptional lyric.  When I see things like this, I am further dismayed that my own attempts will never measure up. 

- Zurf

Don't confront me with my failures, I had not forgotten them.

They say love conquers all. You can't start it like a car, you can't stop it with a gun.

I don't recall the composer.  I heard Johnny Cash's version of "Unchained" first.  Johnny gave proper credit on his album by that title, but I don't have the album handy to check it.  Anyway, there's a line in there in which the singer is compared to a street lunatic by saying "we've both forgotten to go home."  I see a lot of power in that line - the recognition of mutual humanity and that sometimes it is despair that binds us one with another.  I love this song.  For some reason, I have had a very difficult time memorizing it. 

And speaking of despair, the single best country song line is from Merle Haggard's "Momma Tried" where he spends his 21st birthday in jail doing a life sentence.

And speaking of Country songs, while it is not brilliant it is surely memorable and gets the point across - "I've got friends in low places."

One more for now.  Our own "Dirty Ed" has a way with simultaneously using multiple meanings of the same words.  A favorite of mine is in his song "Beer Belly" where he sings "Me and my beer belly will be hanging out tonight." 

- Zurf

topdown wrote:

A few more:

Well I told my congress man and he said, quote: "I'd like to help you son but you're too young to vote" - Eddie Cochran

That is a line in Alan Jackson-Summertime blues. Was it a cover?