Topic: Keep splitting finger ..

I usually play at least one gig a week and it seems every time, I keep splitting open my index finger that's holding my pick.  It'll sort of heal until my next gig - then it happens again.  I've used liquid band aide stuff as well as clear nail polish over the tip of my finger..  which sort of helps..  I am trying to adjust how I hold the pick too.  What's crazy is I've been playing guitar for many years.. this has just recently started to plague me.
  Thought I'd look for some advice here..  you folks always have great ideas.  thanks.
Deb

Re: Keep splitting finger ..

As we age, skin problems always get worse. There are solutions. If you can visit a dermatologist, you may learn much.
Experimentation may teach you ways to form a callous, moisten the finger tip or shield it.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Thanks Toots..  probably right..  of course it seems in the winter its worse and I handle alot of paper at my job so perhaps all this combined just adds to the problem.  It is a nuisance though not to mention a tad painful.  Gives new meaning for me to..  "I played until my fingers bled"..  smile   Thanks.

It sounds as if you may have dry skin.  Try drinking more water and use skin moisturizers on your hands.  Not sure if that will help.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Right you are Pete..  I'm on the look out for some stuff called Cornhuskers Lotion.  Its crazy good for dry, chapped hands.  Thanks.

what part of the finger is splitting?

Right on the tip of my index finger..  like a cut right across almost from under the nail.  It happened the first time about a year or so ago.  The other guitar player in the band said.. that is going to do that from now on.  And he was right!  Same place every time. Its just a drag especially when I play a couple times a week.  I just wanted to know if this is something other folks have run it to... 
thanks.

Bag-Balm YES!!

Thanks to all !  I will try Bag Balm.  I've actually seen that product in the store.  Definitely worth a shot.

Try one of those rubber thingy's { not sure what they are called} like the one they use at the bank counting money.  Kinda of rolls on the finger, may help, if not disregard this post.   lol.

badeye..    cool

one caper after another

I was thinking the same thing badeye,I also think they have some kind of band aid for fingertips I have seen somewhere.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I had forgotten about bag balm.  It's supposed to be really good.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Agree with everything said above.  I have one addition. Crazy Glue.  It works when its too late for anything else.

Now available in 5G !

if you're bored take a pic of how you hold your pick....i'm curious as to how that could happen. smile

As an avid slap bass player and fan of Flea, I suggest superglue.

Everything is bad including me
But being bad is good policy
Reverend Horton Heat

I had heard of the super glue remedy before..  I'm willin'..
BGD..  I can't get a picture but I'll tell you, it seems my index finger is almost at the tip of the pick therefore hitting the strings alot..  and I realize this is the problem but its strange how it has recently just started happening.  I've been playing guitar for decades and now this is going on.  I've been playing thru it of course..  I just wanted to get some insight from others if they have had the same issue.  Appreciate all the input..  you folks are great.
Deb

Many years ago when I used to play a lot on weekends while drinking beer with friends, I used to get real sore fingers, almost to the bleeding stage.  I used superglue.  It really worked, but you need to be careful to put it on spareingly.  And don't rub it in with other fingers or you'll get them stuck together pretty easy.  I don't really recommend it, but it depends how desparate you are.

I have 2 gigs this weekend..  I'm going to give the glue a whirl..  I'll let you know.  thanks.

Ah yeah, that'd do it then.

Along the super glue route, there is a product called "Skinshield". Its for cuts, and its like superglue but it has an antibiotic in it. it heals up cuts really fast. It BURNS, but it works good. I would also try putting it on before it splits, its kinda like getting superglue on your finger but not quite as sticky. It comes in a little bottle about an inch and a half tall and about 1/2 an inch around with a little brush like fingernail polish. I use it in the machine shop all the time.

Hi Deb
I too can recomend "Skinsheild"as a short term remedy. I had a cut down my index finger I use to barre with and couldn't play. I was recomended skinshield and although it didn't stop all the pain it did allow me to keep playing. As Graig23 says it bloody stings when you first put it on.
Another thing, if it is the very tip of your finger try growing your finger nail a bit longer for a bit more protection.In the mean time glue on a false one and shape to you desired shape and length. I don't use a pick but use my index finger nail which I loveingly grow and shape. I use to think I was a bit weired cause I would use nail glue and all sorts to protect it and have even used false nails when I have brocken it but I saw a video of James Taylor the other day talking about nail care and stuff and he doese the same sort of thing.
Anyway good luck hope you sort it soon

Ya know, I tried a product called liquid bandaid.. sounds like what you recommend..  I'll keep an eye out for that brand..skinshield.   

Deb

cj-5 wrote:

Try Bag-Balm. We've used it for generations on the ranch. Works really well for cracked and dry hands. Put some on an hour so before you play. If it does persist then you might want to see a Doc.

My dad swore by bag balm.  Had it in the barn, had it in the medicine cabinet, and we put it on everything.  Cut finger?  Bag balm.   Skinned knee?  Bag balm.  Amputated hand?  Bag balm.  Compound fracture?  Bag balm.

Stuff fixed everything.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

LOL like tussin.

You might also try and grow that fingernail out a few more mils. depending upon the angle of attack, a slightly longer fingernail might help deflect that string.

Yep, Bag Balm,  WD-40 and Duct tape will get you through this life.