Topic: Dented Fingers

I am a fairly new player and have developed dents in the end of my fingers on the left hand from pressing down the strings on the fingerboard.`````the problem has got so bad that at times I am pressing two strings with one finger as the finger has become mis shaped.Anyone got any advice Phil.

Re: Dented Fingers

No advice.  That's a good thing.  I have permanent dents in my fingertips.  The nails even grow with a dent in them. You get used to it.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Yep, Zurf is right.  Just continue and you will fix the problem automatically.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Cheers guys,will keep going .

I never noticed but I have dents too, must be normal.

The dents are normal and they'll stay that way, however you might have the action checked on your duitar, that might help a lottle.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

I actually get string grooves across my callouses which remain hours after I stop playing.

Your callouses are your friends.  Take care of them.  That includes using an emory board or light-grit sandpaper to smooth off the rough bits from time to time, otherwise they will catch on your strings or will peel too much and you'll be tempted to pull or cut them off.  (Don't do that or you'll hurt like a newbie all over again.)

Use moisturizer on your fingertips before you go to sleep.  Your fingers should regain some normal shape by the time you wake up, but will still be as hard as little hammers.  That's a good thing.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

It is normal, but you should have the action on your guitar checked and adjusted if it is too high. Try different string gages as well. After that if it is still unbarable you could tune down a half step untill you get some decent callouses built up. Just remember to work them back up to pitch and not use the lower tuning as a crutch forever.

Ok, another newbie...got my guitar for Xmas and absolutely love it.  I'm getting those dents too.  Thanks for all the info! I've also been building my house for about the past 6 years and am truly worried that the guitar learning may slow down the house building!