Topic: Egypt

What a mess in Egypt, a Dictator that dosen't want to leave, people in the streets with peacful protests with the thugs coming in starting trouble, with Mubarka's people being paid to start trouble just to feed their children. Reporters being beated, it's an ugly site. It never ceases to amaze me what some leaders will put their people through just to hold on to their power, yet I worry who might take over when he leaves, what a mess.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Re: Egypt

The entire Arab world is in turmoil. The U.S. should be able to make some historic inroads into previously hostile countries, although it is a tricky situation. Mubarak should just leave, since the Egyptian constitution allows for peaceful transition via the "speaker of the house", who is supposed to become interim president until the next election cycle.

That being said, the guy (Mubarak), obviously doen't like "30 and out", and things will get much uglier there before they get better. Yemen is in the same boat, and the leaders in Syria and Jordan are shitting bricks right now, too. These are world-changing events unfolding, like the Jewish curse, we are living in "interesting" times.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"

So right about the unrest guys. What has happened is the U.S. has been in bed with
  Mubarack giving Egypt billions of taxpayers $$ to keep peace between Israel and
  Egypt all the while knowing he is a dictator, regardless what Biden says, and now
  the U.S. is caught between a rock and a hard spot.

Our intuitions serve us well

The U.S. has a poor history of success in nation-building.  I think maybe we should start listening to our own song and allow democracy to come from within Egypt's own people. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I predict Mubarak will step down on around day 20, which would be Valentine's Day, or thereabouts. He will be forced to step down. I think that the U.S. and E.U. will cut the flow of money to Mubarak's regime and freeze Egyptian assets on the 13th or so. This will force Mubarek out. Hopefully, the Egytian parliament will then name the Speaker as the interim president, as is written into their constitution, and the political games will begin for a September election in Egypt.

Unless, of course, in the next few days, the military simply decides to find a suitable staff officer and appoint him president in a coup. This, I think, is a low probabilty, but, the military IS the actual government. Mubarak is still in power because the military has yet to choose sides. They are the wild card in the mix.

I don't think that the Muslim Brotherhood is altogether to be feared by the west. Egypt is a secular country, and the vast majority of Egyptians prefer it that way. Anyway, interesting times indeed.

Hank's prosepctive gutiar player said: "Mr Williams, I'm not sure I can play for you, the onliest chords I know are C D & G"
Hank repleis, after a short pause: "Well, what else is there?"