Topic: What type of electric guitar might fit this description?

I'm a medium-level guitar player, 19 years old, looking to get an electric guitar. I would like it to be electric but also have somewhat of a soft and smooth sound, like acoustic but I don't want an electric acoustic. I'd look for it to be in the mid to lower price range. Any suggestions?? (If I have made any sense.) Thanks for any help!

Re: What type of electric guitar might fit this description?

Hollow bodies and semi-hollow bodies.  Gibson ES-335 or one of it's many knock-offs, or something like a Gretsch Electromatic Hollowbody, or one of it's many knock-offs.

And a tube amp.   Thats what will make all the difference.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Agreed.

4 (edited by dfoskey 2011-01-19 14:37:53)

Semi hollow or chambered solid. A full hollow may be a little too airy sounding for you. I've also heard a tele with a humbucker in the neck position have some sweet tone like you're after. That and a low gain setting on any good tube amp and a few select solid state amps.

Epiphone dot!

I play an Epi 335 through a Laney tube amp and that gives some lovely tones.  I made the mistake of buying a cheapo acoustic simulator pedal which I sure won't do again !!  Saving up for a proper one, now.

And in the end, your only friend is one who's thinking what you're thinking

I have a Gretsch g5122 double cutaway and I have to say that it is lovely.  Like butter, only less slippery.

I have an Epiphone Wildkat, a smaller body than a 335 but bigger than a Les Paul. You don't see many of them about, very underated, cracking tone and very rock n roll. I play it through both a Peavey Windsor and a Blackstar HT5, (both valve amps).

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

craig23 wrote:

Epiphone dot!

Arguably the greatest bargain in guitar history.  I'm putting a Bigsby on mine, and it's going to rawk.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I have an Espana 335 copy,it has been a great guitar butter neck and sounds good but not like the real gibson 335,I use mine mainly for blues or rythem and blues songs.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I agree with Jerome's "greatest bargin" opinion. Mine is the vintage sunburst and the finish is second to none. The neck is just right. The pick-ups are warm and mellow just like a 335 should be. Even the set-up on it was good.  My only complaint was that the pots were loose. I just tightened them up when I got it home. It was marked wrong at a black friday sale and I had a 20% off coupon. I got it for $160 and I would have paid $600 easy. I see them on craigslist and Ebay for about $300 all the time. I want a second one to leave in open tuning to play side on.

Epi Dot.  Guaranteed.  I swapped out the pups for genuine Gibson burstbuckers and it does sweet and mellow to rock and roll.  Great bargain for a great all around guitar.

Now I work down at the car wash where all it ever does is rain.

'99 Gibson Les Paul Special DC, '99 Epiphone Dot, '06 Norman B50, '03 Yamaha FG-433S, Fender Performer 650

jerome.oneil wrote:
craig23 wrote:

Epiphone dot!

Arguably the greatest bargain in guitar history.  I'm putting a Bigsby on mine, and it's going to rawk.

+2 on the Dot. And even a Studio for a better value. It's the only electric I own that I will play without plugging in.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

I like Jerome's Gretsch Electromatic.  I have a '74 Gibson ES335 TD, a LP Studio Robot, a 2008 5120 Electromatic, and several antique Harmony guitars.  The Electromatic is my favorite.  Electified it's awesome, and without juice it's loud enough practice or intimate settings.  Hollowbody or Semi-hollow is what you're describing, and all the suggestions are worth checking into.  Go to Musicianfriend.com, then talk to your local shop.

I am with you on the Gretsch,I played someones about ten years ago and it has been on my want list since then.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman