Topic: Why did I wait so long?

I Finally made a commitment to use what little talent I have a little more. (I'm nearly 68).Since I only work a couple of hours in the morning and a couple in the evening I decided to contact a few of the nursing homes within a 30 mile radius of me and volunteer to pick and sing once a month at each. I had 4 in mind and have contacted 2 and was well received by both.
  I did my first hour at one 17 miles to the east  of me today.Wow! The fastest hour I've seen in a while. I don't know who enjoyed it more, me or them. I will be there the 2nd Tuesday of the month and another on the 3rd Wednesday and hopefully I'll get dates at the other two to give me a date once a week at one or the other from 10:00-11:00am. I notice in June the 2nd Tuesday and the third Wednesday are back to back.By then I should really be comfortable and it should be no problem.
   I've done nursing home services before but just a couple of songs during Sunday services. This is my first time on my own for an hour.
   This way I will do mostly Gospel songs but am not limited to them only.
    Keep me in your prayers if you are so minded. AL

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Re: Why did I wait so long?

That's awesome deadstring!!!!

Kills 2 birds...you get to occupy your time doing something you love and helping others out at the same time. Really good stuff. Praying for the other gigs for ya!!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Our trio of guitar, tuba and harmonica do a Christmas tour of two old folks homes and four or five elementary schools every year.
We found a Santa Claus who can sing and is really funny to go with us.
I don't know who has more fun, us or the old folks and kids.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

zguitar wrote:

That's awesome deadstring!!!!

Kills 2 birds...you get to occupy your time doing something you love and helping others out at the same time. Really good stuff. Praying for the other gigs for ya!!!!

Thank you.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

tubatooter1940 wrote:

Our trio of guitar, tuba and harmonica do a Christmas tour of two old folks homes and four or five elementary schools every year.

Tooter I think your grandson  sings with you and I seem to remember his name was Casey. Am i correct?
I have one named Casey (11) and he will go with me when school is out. He is excited.  Have a great time and keep it up. They love it! Al

Good for you Deadstring.  Some of my fondest memories of my youth include playing in a stage band at a nursing home.  I can recall one old lady who sat in an electric wheelchair.  Strokes had almost completely paralyzed her.  Her head had to be strapped up in the chair and all she could do was move her right hand a little bit.  That was where they put the controls for her wheelchair.  Darned if she didn't get on the dance floor and get that wheelchair grooving!  Another woman who was bedbound and weak asked a candystriper to remove the blankets from her feet.  She didn't have the strength to move them with the weight of the blankets on them, but she wanted to tap her feet along to the rhythm.  I'll remember those two fine old ladies in my heart as long as I remember how to play music.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Great stories Zurf. They seem to like the old favorites as I do. I don't like (many do) this 250 praise music. Two lines sung fifty times but I have learned one or two just to test the waters. I don't think I'll have to learn many.  AL

Yeah.  I call those 711 songs - same joke.  Sing it acapela.  OK now sing it fast.  Now sing it with just the drums.  Now the full band - louder, louder, louder.  Now the electric guitar solo.  Now a quick stop and just the lead singer (eyes closed and face heavenward of course) - others joining in as they realize the song hasn't actually stopped.  Now start the rhythm back in.  Full band again.  Now real slow.  OK now make sure that there are people hanging on to certain words very loudly in their microphones - about an octave above.  Now back to acapela (and make it a prayer). 

Not my speed.  Some folks like it.  It's supposed to put one in the mood for worship and to praise the Lord, but I just don't get it.  I don't object, I just don't get it.  I'll wait for my turn on something like this for modern "worship" music: v=ShAfHM4npdk&feature=related

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Great stuff Deadstring....a very nice idea and great that everyone involved enjoys it. Not everyone (myself included) is as generous with their free time. You should be feeling pretty darned good about yourself right about now.

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

Thats a great contribution too the people at those homes,you are a good person for doing so much for them.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

deadstring wrote:
tubatooter1940 wrote:

Tooter I think your grandson  sings with you and I seem to remember his name was Casey. Am i correct?
I have one named Casey (11) and he will go with me when school is out. He is excited.  Have a great time and keep it up. They love it! Al

God on ya, Al. You have a clear grasp of the objective. The main thing is, everybody including YOU has mucho fun.
Here's my Casey doing a short one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a5_7Ja7xpM

Two thumbs up Deadstring.!!  What an excellent way to share your music!

And nice story Zurf.  Certainly a great memory.

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

tubatooter1940 wrote:
deadstring wrote:
tubatooter1940 wrote:

God on ya, Al. You have a clear grasp of the objective. The main thing is, everybody including YOU has mucho fun.
Here's my Casey doing a short one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5a5_7Ja7xpM

I Love it!!

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement! Chordie folks are great folks, but then we knew that already!!!

Deadstring, my hat is off to you. My father is 92 and has been in a nursing home for the last two years. There has been a couple of groups that have come through and done a wonderful
job and it really brightens up these people's spirit. I admire what you are doing and this is giving me the courage to step up to the plate and concentrate on just a few of the oldies that I know they would like to hear.  Keep up the good work.
Flybye

Awesome Deadstrings, your reward will be smiling faces and happy people,

badeye      way  cool

one caper after another

Flybye wrote:

Deadstring, my hat is off to you. My father is 92 and has been in a nursing home for the last two years. There has been a couple of groups that have come through and done a wonderful
job and it really brightens up these people's spirit. I admire what you are doing and this is giving me the courage to step up to the plate and concentrate on just a few of the oldies that I know they would like to hear.  Keep up the good work.
Flybye

You just made my day!

badeye wrote:

Awesome Deadstrings, your reward will be smiling faces and happy people,

Thanks!

badeye      way  cool

Our church does two nursing home services each month.  We get a good turnout from the residents and from our members.  Sometimes we have 3 pianists, a couple guitarist, a banjo player, and several singers.  The pastor has even let me preach a few times.  I'm hoping to get good enough some day to join in with my guitar.

These services are some of the most rewarding times in my life.  It's tremendous to see the folks singing along.  Often I go to try to be a blessing and end up getting blessed myself.

Thank you for ministering to the people in your area.  I pray that the Lord will bless you and your efforts.

Scott
Philippians 3:13, 14
Takamine GS330S

Awesome Deadstring! Keep the good work going.  smile    Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

I posted 3 old cover songs on soundclick a long time ago. I had almost forgotten they were there. Nothing fancy. Just me alone,
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default … tent=music

Good on you, Deadstring! There are a lot of nursing/care homes within a few miles of where I live, so it's given me an idea to follow your lead. I would have to get together a few more popular songs - my repertoire is pretty eclectic! I also sing in a choir, so they may also be interested in doing something for the old folks...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

Man o Man! You just don't know how happy these kinds of replies make me feel.Thanks!
  I added a third to my list and was there Wednesday. here was a lady there that kept bragging on my efforts. Well a fellow Gideon member was there visiting his wife and they sat in to listen. He told me at our Thursday night Gideon meeting that that I had done well and the lady doing the bragging was a nonbeliever but she would come to each singing and go back to her room after one or two songs. He said that Weds day was the first time he ever saw her stay for the whole hour. This really encouraged me. God is good!

There is a forum for tuba players called Sean Chisham's Tubenet.
I read a post by another forum member describing how he played Christmas carols on his tuba at Christmas time - relieving the bell ringer at the entrance to Wal-Mart for an hour to give the bell ringer a break as well as the ears of the cashiers inside the door.
I thought that was so cool, I called the Salvation Army, got permission and contacted a bell ringer and set up a appointment for me to play my tuber (That's Alabama speak for tuba) at 6 P.M. on Christmas Eve.
I brought a chair and my horn and repeated the ten carols I had prepared over and over for an hour.
The problem was, the bell ringer took the money bucket with her. People wanted to toss dollar bills down the bell of my horn and I had to warn them if they did that we may never see it again. I stuffed money in all my pockets until the bell ringer came back. Apparently the novelty of a tuba playing Christmas music generated a huge quantity of donations.
Several Wal-Mart cashiers kindly told me they enjoyed it and I had a really good time too.
toots

A great and funny story. Thanks for sharing.