Topic: Little Finger strength

I know I've picked up some bad habits since stopping having lessons and I think I've become lazy in using my little finger when fretting notes, i.e., I tend to use my ring finger instead. Usually this doesn't cause any problems, except when I'm practicing scales and the notes played with the little finger are nearly always "off" (dead).

I've tried to concentrate more on using the tips of the fingers rather than the pads - fine with the first three fingers, but still awkward with the little finger. Looking at how the little finger comes down or closes on its own, I've noticed how far the finger points towards the thumb - try as I might, I can't get it to come down straight (Is this making any sense? I know what I mean and I just tried it again to see if it could be described better!)

Any ideas? Is it my hand position that sounds wrong or just a case of getting the finger straight?

Thanks

Re: Little Finger strength

Your thumb maybe to far over on the back of the fretboard my biggest problem. Just a suggestion. Take a look at a Santana video and he only uses three fingers to begin with. Lots of luck

Practice your open "g" chord without using your index finger. Force your pinky to fret the high G. That will help. Also make sure your elbow isn't sticking out like you're ribbing the dude or dudette next to you. sinking your elbow will help with the pinky finger string tension.

Thanks for the advice.

Butch - yeah, I had a look and then looked at a few other videos on thumb position and how that affected pinky position. Checking how I was gripping the guitar, my thumb was staying too central and too high. Letting the thumb point out to the left more helped keep the pinky straight and the thumb lower down made it easier to arch the fingers.

Dude - I've been trying that recently as a way of getting my chord changes (G-C-D) a bit smoother. Thanks for the tip and even though it still feels awkward I'll stick with it.

you can get some hand grip excercizers at wall mart ,they work well,also find a rubber ball you can squeeze for some exercise,in the kids toys at wall mart. these helped me gain finger strength.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

6 (edited by tandm3 2011-02-18 02:52:32)

You need to make excuses to yourself to use that pinky.  Play all of your "G's" as suggested by Baldguitardude or play them by using all 4 of your fingers.  Use your ring finger to play the D on the 3rd fret, B string and use your pinky to play the G on the third fret high E string (I play all of my G's like that).  Add another G to your C chord in the same manner. When you start playing pentatonic leads, you can't help but include your pinky finger, so plan on that and practice accordingly.  I had the same problem you had.  I'm sure that many others here are also in the same boat.  God gave you that pinky and I'm sure that you'll figure out how to use it.  My current questions are:  how can I learn how to use my toes outside of walking? and; If I had to button my shirt with my feet, how would I do that?

Now available in 5G !