Topic: Instructional: Modifying your Pickups Tone

Greetings all,

After rewiring my bridge humbucker to be in-phase (with my neck pickup) in the middle position, the bridge became exceptionally untameably bright.
(turned amp treble almost the full way off and it's still too bright)

Originally, The bridge pickup (SD SH-4-JB) was wired out of phase and completely backwards from how the SD wiring diagram specified. this was done by a guitar shop to allow the bridge pickup to play nicely with a "Kent Armstrong" pickup that was in the neck. (Tossed it I and installed a Charlie Christian instead)

I returned the bridge pickup wiring to SD-specs recently and removed the wires from the coil-split part of the volume pot (according to the SD diagrams for tele) and taped them together and tucked em away. After returning the bridge pickup wiring to SD-stock, the bridge pickup became "icepick-in-the-ear" bright and had extreme harmonic overtones...almost a chorusy sound. I tried lowering the bridge pickup to no avail, then lowering the treble side and raising the bass side but that just made it boomy.

At first I considered changing pickups but research into the issue led me to a better solution.
I figured there was something electronical that I could do to fix the issue.

The solution is much the same as taming the brightness of the overall guitar by adding a capacitor to the tone pot's connection to the volume pot and ground.

However, the difference lies in the fact that you put one leg of a capacitor in-line with the pickup's hot wire and ground the other leg to the pot/ground. I used Alligator-Clip Test leads from Radio-Shack to do my testing and then soldered in the winning cap after my testing was complete.

Here are a few videos of my test routine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESOLaVyhkuY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_nFWI7cIGzo

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yH464zJC_iA

The 0.001nf capacitor seems to work the best. It takes the icepick highs off without muffling the sound and characteristics of the bridge pickup.

The 0.022 and 0.047 caps gave the bridge pickup too much of a "Wolly" sound...even with the tone pot turned all the way up and the treble on the amp turned all the way up.

The great thing about testing this way is that you can get a completely wide range of caps to test the tone with and even stack caps to produce in-between variances to lower or raise the treble levels in smaller increments. And all without soldering anything into your guitar until you find the right one.

Take care,
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Re: Instructional: Modifying your Pickups Tone

If you wanted to get really creative, you could put a variable cap in line with the pup so you wouldn't have to commit to one or another.  You could mount it just like you would any of your other tone knobs.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

That is an option as well and a much more interesting one!
I couldn't find one of those "Loaded Pots" anywhere locally and was too impatient to wait on shipping.
I also didn't have any more room on my control plate on in the control cavity...hehe.

Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

My name is Albert Lee.  I'm not THAT one, and most certainly don't play like that one (sadly).   I absolutely HAD to have an Albert Lee signature model.  It has single coil pickups, very low action and is a joy to play.  However, it SOUNDS very "shallow".  I'm not really much of a guitar player, just a few chords to accompany my singing.  My other guitars are acoustic, or acoustic / electric and they have a much fuller sound.  Is there any way I can make my Albert Lee sound fuller?  I've tried larger diameter strings.  Thanks in advance.

If you wanted your sound to be fuller without replacing pickups, I would recommend a reverb pedal or delay pedal...either on low settings will fatten up your sound and give your guitar a larger feel.

=]
Dm

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle