Topic: Legal Ramifacations

If someone wanted to do a copy of a song, then post it on youtube, plus draw random pictures from the internet to go along with the song that are relevate to the song , wouldn't this be illegal? I have a song I'd love to do using pictures from the internet but am cautious to do this from some of the things I've read about on youtube., so I just wondered about your thoughts about this.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Re: Legal Ramifacations

Hi cam,I do not know for sure but alot of people put song copys and pictures out there and do not get in trouble. I would not worry about it unless I was doing it for money. I think Jerome here at chordie is going to law school or something like that.I would do it!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hi Cam,

I, as well as many others, have cover versions of songs on YouTube. Some of mine have my photo and video slides shows and others, Heaven help us, have a video of me lol. As long as it is marked as a cover version I do not think there is any problem unless you are doing it to make money and then the songwriter will need his royalties.

However if you mean to put your own montage to a star's existing recording then you are certainly in danger of having it removed. So you will have to get your own recording done and you should be OK.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

It will be a recording of me doing the song, but random pictures from the web, some that I know are pretty famous pictues, but I could make changes. So your saying you think it would be ok, and no, I'm not trying to make any money off of anything.

Cam

Give credit where it's due. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

As long as it's not U2 or Mettalica, LOL

Zurf,

I do believe in giving credit where credit is due, your excatly right. I just wouldn't know who to give it to being random pictures, even the more famous pictures, I wouldn't know who to even contact about that, but anyway, It's probaly just do it for myself anyway.

Cam

Go for it Cam. It'll be fine.....the only video I've ever had removed from YouTube was Brown Eyed Girl, a cover of the Van Morrison song. Still not forgiven him :-)

All I got, is a red guitar, three chords and the truth

The question is not if it's legal, the questions are 1) will the artist care to enforce DMCA, and 2) if they do 1, what does it mean to you?

Many artists love having their music on Youtube and don't mind people recording it and posting live shows (Phish comes to mind). Can they file a DMCA claim and ask youtube to remove it? Absolutely. Will they? Maybe.. Depends upon whether the artist's representation is a dick about fans sharing music on Youtube. smile

The important part of the question is "what does this mean to you?" In all likelihood, nothing. If you've never had a song yanked off Youtube for copyright violations, they'll most likely just warn you and say "move along." (see bud's quote above) You aren't financially damaging the artist (you aren't doing it to make money from it) so they don't really have cause to go after you. Granted they COULD, but that's not very realistic.

Disclaimer: I work in online marketing and spend a lot of time dealing with regulatory compliance and DMCA but I'm not a lawyer. smile

I got a two word comment on U-Tube from Pat Dailey after I covered his "Blue Catawba Moon" song. I substituted an F7 for a F9th he played on the original arrangement because i found it easier.
Pat wrote, "Awesome! Chords?"
Pat is a hero of mine. Always will be.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

that is phenomenal!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it.

Cam

tubatooter1940 wrote:

I got a two word comment on U-Tube from Pat Dailey after I covered his "Blue Catawba Moon" song. I substituted an F7 for a F9th he played on the original arrangement because i found it easier.
Pat wrote, "Awesome! Chords?"
Pat is a hero of mine. Always will be.
toots

Thats fantastic - Pat is definitely a guy I'd love to have a beer or 12 with. One of these days I'm gonna head to Sloppy Joes and see him.

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

when you said "sloppy joe's" I googled him. totally met him a few years ago. very cool guy.

15 (edited by jerome.oneil 2011-03-07 21:05:09)

Everything that has been recorded or written down since the mid-80s in tangible form has a copyright attached to it, so those pictures belong to someone.  The songs also belong to the people that wrote it.  Copyright provides absolute control to the copy holder the right to control distribution, reproduction, and performance of their work.  That control is then constrained a bit by what is called "fair use" doctrine, but what you're doing isn't going to be part of that.

So, to the letter of the law, yes, you have committed a tort (as opposed to a crime) and could be liable to the copyright owner.  In a practical sense, I doubt you have much to worry about.  If you get a cease and deist letter then simply apologize and then cease and desist.   Damages have to be shown in order to win a monetary award, so unless you are raking in the big bucks and the copyright holder can demonstrate actual damages (I lost X amount of business as a result of these YouTube videos) then I'd guess the most that will come out of a courtroom is an injunction against you to prohibit the use of the work.

YouTube (and any service dealing with user generated content) are particular about copyright infringement.  If they don't take active steps to prevent it, then they are contributors to it and are also liable for your tort.  And they have deep pockets that draw lawsuits like flies to old meat.  I'd bet that if there is a problem with what you're doing, you'll hear from YouTube about it long before you hear from the copyright owner.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

What's the worst that can happen? It gets taken off youtube. They always give you the option to remove it if there's a problem. Go for it. Only problem I've ever had was with a Van Morrison song - and it's still up there.

Is anything really made up of zeros and ones??

The worst that can happen is considerably worse than that.  If the copyright holder decides to pursue it, the law provides not only an injunction, but the court can impound any of the copies (that means they can impound your computer), any actual damages they've taken, or they can collect statutory damages up to $30,000 *per violation.*  That means if she used 10 images she could be liable for $300,000 in damages.   If the court finds that the violation was "willful" then the damages bump up to $150,000.    And then she will get to pay for the infringed parties attorney's costs.  And in certain circumstances, there may be a criminal complaint as well.

So that's the worst case.  Youtube yanking it is the best case.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]