Topic: Acoustic Bass?

Does anyone own an acoustic bass?  Or have you researched them?

I'm thinking about getting one.  Not sure why, I just think it would be cool to have, and I sometimes play my 6 string as a bass when I'm playing with friends.

Anyway, just looking for some starting points, preferably something on the low end pricewise.

What brand do you have? 
Do you like it? 
Why or why not?
What would you recommend?

Thanks,
'Nomikal

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Re: Acoustic Bass?

The only input I can give from personal experience is to stay away from the Dean acoustic bass... Friend of mine bought the $200 acoustic electric Dean and It was very disappointing! No volume, unpleasant tone, the neck was awful, and the electronics trash.  I took the electronics out of it for him and put in a soundport...  Lots of work done leveling the frets, trying to get the neck right and I even shaved the braces a little. It's playable now but if he'd have had to pay for all the work it took to get it there he'd have been Much better off climbing the ladder a little bit initially.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: Acoustic Bass?

I have 2 and I love them. My first one is a Fender BG 29 it is a smaller bass its sounds good. It has a short scale and strings are limited. I just bought a Fender Kingman Bass. I love playing it, it has a long scale so you can put a bigger selection of strings on it. I have a set of Fender 9120m nylon tapewound on it. If you want that standup bass sounds these are it. You still have to plug them in just can't get that vol. out of an acoustic. The Kingman is a little neck heavy but I don.t really notice it. Hope I help you out  keep thumpin