Topic: OK old guys and physiologists

I've been exercising regularly lately.  Letting a virus run its course, it's been ten days since I exercised.  Yesterday I was aching as if I had overdone it.  Muscle aches all up in those areas where I have been concentrating.  Virus is over and I was planning to get back to exercising today, but refrained because of the pain.  Now I am used to pain after exercising, but not muscle pain after NOT exercising. 

Is this a normal physiological thing, or is this yet another old guy thing I'm going to have to get used to?  I'm not a big fan of the old guy stuff that's been creeping in on me, but it better to suffer through than to not grow any older.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: OK old guys and physiologists

I think you and I are about the same age; I'm 44. That doesn't sound normal to me and I'm in horrific shape but have never experienced that. Sure, soreness after exercise (sometimes worse the 2nd day). Sounds like your virus persists

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Yeah.  It was like two days after over-doing it, but it was ten days since having exercised.  I'm going to get back to it tomorrow regardless.  Today I'm planning to take a long walk just to get moving.

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

Good luck...hopefully you can work through it. Again, it doesn't sound like regular "getting old" stuff to me...and believe me, I know what you're referring to with getting used to feeling "older".

Elvis Costello

No one is a fan of old age pains creeping up on you, but none of us likes to think of the alternative.  So, we live with them, work around them.  If that is what you have.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

were you puking?

No puke.

Had lunch with my neighbor and he suggested that it could be dehydration.  Possible I suppose.  Water's cheap therapy anyway.

Zurf - kinda sounds like the 1st stage of "Old - Timers" disease to me. Starts with a few aches and pains then progresses into more aches and pains. When you're young you don't mind waking up feeling "stiff" but as you age it's just not the same. 1st thing to go is your hair, then what's left begins to turn grey. Your hearing starts to go and your teeth begin to fall out. Next thing you know you are poping little blue pills just to get through the weekend. You start spending more time in the bathroom wondering just what you went in there for. It's a sad state of affairs. Sorry to hear that this is where you are heading.

Since I'm only 39 it'll be many years 'til begin to have your symptoms. I feel for you, buddy. If you can remember, please stay in touch. Sad, sad news.

Nela

Remember what?

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

A friend who is working to earn her certification for massage therapy is coming by tonight to give my wife a massage.  Perhaps she'll take a whack at my upper back too.  Nice to have friends.

NELA - Funny stuff.  I've always heard that the first two things to go are memory....and I can't remember the second.

bensonp wrote:

Remember what?

If you remember the 60s, you weren't really there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yN-6PbqAPM

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

That's a great song and I can relate to it.  LOL

13 (edited by cameronkl7 2011-03-09 00:46:46)

Drink Gatorade it has electrolytes, better than just water to re-hydrate yourself, at least thats what my Wife's Dr. told her

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

14 (edited by dino48 2011-03-09 02:16:17)

Hi zurf,I have heard that sometimes antibiotics can cause muscle pain for awile after you have taken them,you may want to look at the labels of any medicines you have been taking. If you did not exercise for ten days that will be abig factor also.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Did you really overdo it? If you did you may (I say may) be suffering from a muscular condition that many people who try to do too much too soon suffer. I don't know the name of it but it is similar to compartment syndrome. For some reason this is common in people who do cross-fit for the first time and overdo it.

Compartment syndrome is when a body part has been without oxygenated blood for some time. Often it is found after crush injuries, snake bites, or anything that cuts off the circulation to that body part. It can be fatal.

While there is not much of a chance that you will die you might have overtaxed yourself to the extent that you did do some damage. It is best, if you are still sore, to take it easy until you have no pain.

If you were sick, or did the workout just before you started feeling the effects of the flu I could see how you would be in pain.

Take it easy until the pain stops. Despite what many may say pain is letting you know you need to stop or slow down as if you continue you will cause damage.

Just saying...

Zurf, your'e getting old and that is a disease we all should hope to catch. Better than what comes second.
Dr. Bushy's remedy- A few rum and cokes, pick up guitar, play and sing loud. Repeat daily.
All the best
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

I'm in shape.
Round is a shape. sad
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Well, I was driving my van on auto-pilot while doing a massive cross-training workout to kick off some new exercises and taking antibiotics when a snake bit me, causing me to bump the steering wheel and crash the van.  Maybe that had something to do with it. 

Actually, I think I'm going to do like CJ-5 and Bushy suggest.  Take it easy, don't fret, and work back in at a pace that seems reasonable, with a cool bit of something to drink in the evening while I pluck on a guitar string.

Zurf wrote:

I've been exercising regularly lately.  Letting a virus run its course, it's been ten days since I exercised.  Yesterday I was aching as if I had overdone it.  Muscle aches all up in those areas where I have been concentrating.  Virus is over and I was planning to get back to exercising today, but refrained because of the pain.  Now I am used to pain after exercising, but not muscle pain after NOT exercising. 

Is this a normal physiological thing, or is this yet another old guy thing I'm going to have to get used to?  I'm not a big fan of the old guy stuff that's been creeping in on me, but it better to suffer through than to not grow any older.

I feel your pain and hear what your saying.  I'm still feeling the effects of a major snow clearing and roof raking that I did last week.  I also agree, better a few aches and pains to suffer or work through then not feeling anything at all.  At 55, I'm at a point in life that I couldn't imagine back when I was 25.   But, I'll be danged if I'm going to grow old mentally, the body will be ok as long as we take care of ourselves.  But, the mind needs a bit more attention nowadays.  Hence, learning and playing guitar or doing other things that are fun and give our brains a work out and nimble and do involve the body a little. 

We're not getting old, we're getting better!!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Zurf wrote:

No puke.

Had lunch with my neighbor and he suggested that it could be dehydration.  Possible I suppose.  Water's cheap therapy anyway.

Yeah, you have to watch the fluid intake when your sick even more then food.  As a nurse this is one of the cardinal rules I preach to sick clients.  Eat what you can keep down, but, fluids are so important.  Ginger ale, light juices as well as water. 

Hang in there!!

"I don't have pet peeves...I have whole kennels of irritation."  --Whoopi Goldberg

Well, I went for a 2.5 mile (~4k) walk at an easy pace this morning before work and felt a lot better afterwards.  Loosened things up.  Been drinking water like mad all day.  Feeling a million times better.  Back to resistance exercising Thursday morning I think.  I'm probably going to back it off to four days per week (M, Tu, Th, F) and see if maybe I was overdoing it a bit with five days per week.  Recovery isn't as quick as it was even just five years ago.

Nothing like a good walk and some fresh air to help!

Bravo...sounds like your on the mend

Elvis Costello

Sounds great Zurf.  Yes, don't overdue it.  Take care of yourself.

Keep it up zurf,but you shoud not overexercise after you have been sick,just build yourself up to where you were over a period of time.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman