Topic: shadows sound

hello chordie friends.
what i am trying to do is recreate the sound of hank marvin sound in wonderful land if someone can help me i would be most welcome .what pedals would i need to buy i have been playing guitar for 2yrs now at the age of 73 but i am at a loss as to what to buy to get this sound my amp is a line6 75 watt and a strat guitar i do hope someone can help.

kindest regards.
john c gordon

Re: shadows sound

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EriCZdLjw7o
Reverb and delay/decay, and I'll wager that your Line6 has both

thankyou icecubetray do you think that i already have this sound on my amp.

regards
john

Yes, I do.  I don't own a Line6 but my brother-in-law has one and it does everything but the windows. If yours is a Spider III, then on one of the channels, you should have a bunch of effects.

icecubetray my amp is a line6 1v is this the same amp
regards
john

Check out the link to the video of them.  He uses the Tremolo bar alot for effect, too.

icecubetray many thanks for your help i will try this out tomrrow .
all the very best to you.
john

Your's is a IV so it has even MORE.  I think I'm going to go to borrow my brother-in-laws, this sounds like a nice amp.   But like I said, I don't have one so I don't know how to tell you to achieve the effects you want, but reverb and tremolo is the signature sound of The Shadows.  Maybe somebody can join in on the thread and help you out.

When the Shadows were at their peak things were vastly different than today.

There were just two types of strings available, wire wound strings for acoustic guitar and tape wound for electric. There was no such thing as different gauges of string and they were all quite heavy, so bending of strings was not possible and the tremlo arm was used for this effect.

Tape wound strings give a much mellower tone than wire wound and you can slide up the strings without making the normal screech that wire wound do.

I have been told, but I cannot confirm that this is true, that Hank always picked his strings in an upward direction to give him a unique sound.

The point I am trying to make is that if you do want an authentic Hank sound then iyou need to look deeper than amp settings. I hope you get there.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

many many thanks rodger i take note of your comments.

regards

john

Hi dalesman, this is my first posting, as I'm a newbie to this forum. I've been playing "Hank Marvin" in a Shadows Revival Band for almost ten years.
You're a beginner? Buy a Strat with maple neck. The mexican strats are quite good.
For echo, I use the Digitech Digiverb, for delay the Digitech Digital delay.
For rehearsing, a VERY useful tool is the Tascam guitar trainer.
There's no need for an unbelievably expensive Vox AC30, take any clean tube amp.

Above all, don't forget: the sound comes from your fingers!

Let the apache ride to wonderfiul land! Sorry for my horrible English!

many thanks laughingelk
i wiil take note of what you say.

regards.
john