Topic: JULY JAM ON THE SHENANDOAH

Best laid plans of mice and men.  Not sure which I am, but the plans have gone the same way either way.

The big 'rodeo' with the bar-be-que and whatnot has been rescheduled for August for the same weekend as the New River get-together near Meadow Creek, WV.  Not having figured out how to be in two places at once, and already having the July weekend on the schedule, my suggestion to remedy the situation is pretend I didn't hear this news and go ahead and camp and fish on the Shenandoah anyway.  Same campground and same river.  We'll still be able to pick and play around the campfire.  We'll still be able to fish during the day.  The only difference as I see it is that we won't get live entertainment on Saturday night and we'll have to front our own food.  I'm a pretty fair camp cook, plentiful beer and wine can be had easily enough, and much of the reason for us to get together is to produce some home-made music, so I don't see this information as any kind of trouble - just a change is all. 

Edit to add: I contacted the campground and found that six adults will get us the group rate, so it's looking like the cost for staying at the campground will actually be lower this way.  That's nice! 

Who's still in?  I've transferred the previous list of interested parties to this thread. 

Edit to start list of potential attendees (it's understood that plans change):
Zurf (and family?) 1 (4?)
Detman 1
Mekidsmom and Hubby  2
KAP54  1
Guitarpix and wife  2
Dirty Ed  1
Normtheguitar (surprise UK visitor)  1
Roger (from a different site, he doesn't pick but he does have good taste in music and travels with a portable bar) 1
Herschel (from a different site, but he still picks a guitar)  1
Josh (from a different site, and he picks a guitar sometimes too) 1 (4?)
Jets60 and wife 2 (5)
Ben  1
Kent and son  2

Maybes:
Alvin  1
Eric  1
Ernie  1

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Re: JULY JAM ON THE SHENANDOAH

editing my own post to remove a question and add the info I found instead (answering myself LOL)

This is the weekend of July 15-17 right? and...
The campground name is Lowwater Bridge Campground.  It's in Bentonville, Virginia. You can Google map it with this address: 192 Panhandle Road
Bentonville, VA 22610.

My son has just signed up for Sea Cadets and will have to go to boot camp sometime this summer.  I need to find where the nearest one is to this camping spot and cross fingers that it happens to fall around the same time!  That would be a guaranteed in for us!  I KNOW there's a camp for him somewhere in VA!  Hubby and I already discussed sending the girls to the grandmothers and making his boot camp our vacation this summer smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

If it's what it sounds like (i.e., a learning opportunity sailing on big water) Annapolis, MD is your best bet for Sea Cadets.  It's home of the US Naval Academy and not terribly far away - all on good roads.  There are likely to be a number of places along the southern Potomac (everything from Washington, DC down is tidally influenced) or perhaps the lower James (Richmond down is tidal) or Rappahannock (Fredericksburg down is tidal).  If it's associated with Boy Scouts, send me a private message or a Facebook message as I have a dear friend who works for Boy Scouts and could look up the local camps and such for you. 

You've got the right campground.  You've got the right weekend.  If your son isn't in Sea Cadets that weekend, come down and bring him along and I'll give him schoolin' on rafts, canoes, kayaks, and boat safety in moving water.  Shoot, if he's a Boy Scout find out the badge requirements and we'll try and cover them for him and find someone to sign off.  It's a family-friendly campground and river. 

- Zurf

If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom

I'm with Zurf - let's make our own partay! I'm still in, I think - will now go and research flights. Apparently I should have booked last year for a "cheap" flight to Washington in July, but will see what is available...
Cheers!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

There are three reasonable international airports.  So feel free to investigate each of those three for the best rates.  In order of convenience, they are...

Dulles International Airport (by far the easiest)
Baltimore/Washington International Airport
Ronald Reagan International Airport

For what it's worth. 

- Zurf

Zurf wrote:

If it's what it sounds like (i.e., a learning opportunity sailing on big water) Annapolis, MD is your best bet for Sea Cadets.  It's home of the US Naval Academy and not terribly far away - all on good roads.  There are likely to be a number of places along the southern Potomac (everything from Washington, DC down is tidally influenced) or perhaps the lower James (Richmond down is tidal) or Rappahannock (Fredericksburg down is tidal).  If it's associated with Boy Scouts, send me a private message or a Facebook message as I have a dear friend who works for Boy Scouts and could look up the local camps and such for you. 

You've got the right campground.  You've got the right weekend.  If your son isn't in Sea Cadets that weekend, come down and bring him along and I'll give him schoolin' on rafts, canoes, kayaks, and boat safety in moving water.  Shoot, if he's a Boy Scout find out the badge requirements and we'll try and cover them for him and find someone to sign off.  It's a family-friendly campground and river. 

- Zurf

Sea Cadets is a program partially sponsored by the Navy, so it will be held at some Naval academy or barracks of some sort or another.  It's a pretty neat program, they go once a month, and boot camp is similar to real boot camp (but only 2 weeks for the teens).  When he's done with High School he'll go into the Navy as an E3, or eligible for Scholarships to College, or heck it'll look good on a job application!  I jokingly call it "big kid boy scouts".  They actually do have different pins they can earn though, so I'll look into that as well and see (I know at least there's one for community service, so I'm sure any boat related stuff would be good for him!). 

Thanks for the info on the other locations not too far away!  I'll check next month when he goes and see what we can figure out!  Either way, I'm excited to get away from home and hang out with some guitar folks!  I'm not overly excited about fishing, but I have no problem keeping myself busy with some quiet time!  smile  My hubby will LOVE it tho!

Paul... are you bringing the Mrs. along too?

MKM - There's lots to do that doesn't involve fishing if you like the outdoors.  Or wine.  Skyline Drive, Shenandoah National Park, Shenandoah River State Park, Luray Caverns, wineries, Winchester, VA, Harper's Ferry, WV - all of this within easy driving distance.  Or you can paddle your husband's canoe and let him fish better.  If my family comes to join us for part of it, you can bet that they won't be letting me fish to my heart's content and there will be geocaching, kickball, general river nuttiness, and such going on too. 

- Zurf

Zurf - thanks for the info. Will certainly try for Dulles if at all possible.
MKM - my wife just doesn't do camping, so it will just be me. Really hope you and hub can make it!

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

9 (edited by Guitarpix 2011-02-20 17:32:22)

I'm still in as well. It'll be me and the Mrs... We plan to make a week of it. I've got some friends through the CherokeeForum that are local to the area and we're trying to organize some OHV trail rides while I'm in the area.

Zurf I got that new tank & pump in the '89 Limited and fired her up yesterday smile  She runs like a champ! Got to swap the tranny from the '88 Waggy in it though, she's slippin' bad.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Niiiiiiiiice.  My 4x4 hasn't seen much off-road.  However, the day I bought it and we were driving to the babysitter's to pick up the kids, my wife asked, "Would this 4x4 work on the beach?"  We haven't yet arranged a beach trip, but I'm thinking it won't be too long.

Zurf, do you happen to know what fishing regulations are for out of towners?  I'm sure you will point me to a website here shortly smile  I know in NY a fishing license must be had by anyone over the age of 16.

16 years old.  You need a Virginia freshwater license for out-of-state residents. 

You can buy them on-line or at a license agent.  License agents are available at Dicks, Gander Mountain, Wal-Mart, etc.  None of which are terribly convenient to the campground, but not terribly far either.  I'd go with on-line purchase.  You can buy short term licenses rather than having to buy one for the year and it's a lot less expensive. 

http://secure01.virginiainteractive.org/horf/

- Zurf

I still have it on my calendar.  Need to work out the logistics on camping.  I'm a comfy bed person....lol

[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qI7y9ivs5Y[/url]  lol
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEyW2SEHfzM[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0WeJjPLqyQ[/url]
[url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkcYALHslEY[/url]

gabbysings2 wrote:

I still have it on my calendar.  Need to work out the logistics on camping.  I'm a comfy bed person....lol

Air mattresses work wonders.  I sleep quite comfortably in camp.

Thank you!  So FYI to everyone else, a 5 day out of state license is $16.00.

Gabby - I will ONLY go camping with an air mattress!  Not only is it comfy, but if your tent should get a bit wet inside for any reason it also keeps you "above water" big_smile

Hello Folks, I have followed this thread with interest and envy. This is my kind of trip away, fishing, four wheel drive, strumming and a drink around the camp fire. What could be better? Wish I lived closer.

MKM, your'e on the right track. Take it from an old Queenslander, and in light of recent events, staying above the water is definately where you you want to be.

All the best
Bushy

Not one drop of my self worth depends on your acceptance of me.
"Quincy Jones"

Don't worry Bushy - you'll be there in spirit.  Hopefully there'll be some recordings and photos and what-not to share.  Hmmmm.  On second thought...

- Zurf

Update - Two months and counting down.  There's been a lot of water this spring, so hopefully the flow in the river will remain good. 

We have group sites 14 & 15.  I asked for sites a bit away from other folks so that our music will not disturb folks (not that our music should be disturbing).  Christina Munson is my contact at the campground. 

The "official" July River Jam timing is Thursday through Sunday, but early arrivals are welcome, as are late ones.  Check in at the office when you arrive.  Make payment directly with the campground at the office.  I'm confirming still what the rate is going to be, but we will be getting a discount for bringing a group, which is nice. 

So far as I know, this is for tent camping, but I'm checking into whether pop-ups are welcome as well. 

- Zurf

Sounds like fun zurf,wish I could go but I am 3000 miles away. Maybe someday we will get enough active members in the west to have a get too gather.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

UPDATE:
Cost is $8/adult/night.  An "adult" is someone 16 years or older for these purposes.  Children under 16 are free. 

We cannot have more than 8 people per site, so please tell me if you have spouses, friends, or children coming so that I can get a full count.  (MKM and Pix, I've already got your spouses)  I've asked for a third spot. 

Pop-ups are welcome (yeehaw, my comfort level just went way, way up). 

- Zurf

BUMP.

Because of the curiosity that has come up in several posts on Chordie, I have asked Mekidsmom whether she'd be willing to do a nail care for guitarists seminar at the July Jam.  She has agreed, and I will be her guinea pig. 

- Zurf

mekidsmom wrote:

Thank you!  So FYI to everyone else, a 5 day out of state license is $16.00.

Gabby - I will ONLY go camping with an air mattress!  Not only is it comfy, but if your tent should get a bit wet inside for any reason it also keeps you "above water" big_smile

"above water" LOL

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool

24 (edited by jets60 2011-05-25 02:10:35)

Zurf wrote:

Because of the curiosity that has come up in several posts on Chordie, I have asked Mekidsmom whether she'd be willing to do a nail care for guitarists seminar at the July Jam.  She has agreed, and I will be her guinea pig. 

- Zurf

I'm looking forward to that....my nails take a beating

J  E  T  S
...and yet a Washington Commanders fan (unless they change their name again) ...long story...HTT...C

Yuppers... we've discussed a few times about strengthening the nails, especially for those that do a lot of finger picking.  I've warned about some of the do-it-yourself techniques folks see online as well.  So, I will show first hand on Zurf's lovely nail beds how to actually do-it-yourself without causing damage.  I'll also bring along a few of my pretty color polishes for the girls that might be there!  smile