1 (edited by Guitarpix 2011-03-19 23:24:57)

Topic: So what you guys drive/enjoy tinkering on??

All the guys (Not meaning to exclude the girls, so feel free to chime in smile) hanging out here and as far as I can remember we've never really discussed cars/trucks/bikes/etc....   So what do you guys use to get from one spot to another or just to play with??

I'm a XJ (jeep) guy myself.... I'll get some pics up a little later of them.

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Re: So what you guys drive/enjoy tinkering on??

Piddled around tinkering on my 1 person fishing raft today.  I gave up tinkering on cars when I had to buy a computer to talk to it first.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ 340,000 miles on it!!!

4 (edited by Guitarpix 2011-03-20 00:07:03)

Cool, Never too many things to say about a jeep smile What all have you done? You got her set up for the trails?

My 99 xj is stock, '93 has a 2 inch BB and 31's, '89 is currently getting a 5 inch lift some trimming and 35's (waiting on my Rubicon Express superflex adj. upper and lower Control arms to come in so I can put her back together... Hopefully next week smile, My '88 XJ Waggy has a 4 inch trailmaster lift with 33's.

Painted my '93 myself in the front yard for under a hundred bucks changing it from this:

Before
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4081/5443206808_a0b788607f.jpg

After... So far...
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5259/5456530987_f5075a4bbf.jpg

The Waggy sits like this & is pretty much just a toy...
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5293/5456535833_f6887e0b76.jpg

The '89 I just picked up a few weeks ago and is currently undergoing a pretty extreme build up but here she is with just some 33's on as rollers before I started disassembling for the build....

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5214/5449428910_98eeeccb98.jpg

Hoping to have her back together in the next week or so and then it's time to prep for some fresh paint smile

This is the only pic i have of the '99. It's the wifes..... Pics from after washing mine and her's this afternoon...
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5016/5541334646_e62de5cf74.jpg

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.

Butch8844 wrote:

1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee w/ 340,000 miles on it!!!

Awesome! They're hard to kill! I've got 267,000 on my '93 and she still runs like new smile Got 225,000 on the "89 and the same story...  A guy that hangs out with me on CherokeeForum.Com has a 87 with 600,000 miles on it and that thing still looks mint and runs great!!!!!

6 (edited by Guitarpix 2011-03-20 00:21:54)

Zurf wrote:

Piddled around tinkering on my 1 person fishing raft today.  I gave up tinkering on cars when I had to buy a computer to talk to it first.

Yea it's getting to be that time of year.... I pulled out my boat the other day for a good pressure washing and some general maintenance getting her ready for the water again this year as well.  You can see the motor and rear fishing seat peeking out from behind my jeep in the above pic....lol

When we have wind, I sail a 1980 Contessa 26 sailboat with a 10 horse Yanmar diesel.
When we don't, I have a 14 foot tri-hull fishing skiff with a 25 hp Mercury outboard. I rarely fish. I just use it to gun around in Fly Creek.
I ride a 1976 Yamaha RD400 mortorcycle every time I get a chance.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I have restored several cars since high school,my last one was a 56 Ford victoria I did everything on it ,paint,bodywork,engine ,suspension, even did the interior myself. I had too sell it afew years back but had a good time with it and won alot of trophies. I still love too paint metal and I help some of the kids do there bikes here in the neighborhood.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I used to love working on my cars. My first was a '70 Camaro that in hind sight I should not have bought. My second was an '82 Camaro. Nice car but had it's problems. So now after being married for a while, we drive economical bulletproof vehicles. My work truck is a '92 Toyota and my wife drives a '99 Accord. I still do all the work on my truck and most all on the car. Major things on the car I could do but I figure it will take me twice as long as it would a mechanic so I'll take it in.

Had a dream for a long time to build a street Jeep. Wanted a 69-72 CJ-5 to go fast. I used to go to some illegal street races back in high school and there was such a Jeep that I loved. Wasn't fancy but was fast. Had a Chevy 350 in it. You could hear that thing get rubber into 3rd gear. I had it all planned out on paper and in my head to throw a supercharged V-6 Toyota engine into a CJ-5. But some dreams we just have to let go of sad

I also volunteer a an after school program here locally. Part of our rec program is having the kids work with me fixing up bikes that we get donated to us. They earn points based on how much the are helping me and can put those points toward getting a bike. The kids actually picked their bikes out 2 weeks ago. Our annual bike race (Redlands Bicycle Classic) in town is in April and we enter the kids in that with the bikes they worked on. It's a blast to see!!!!

I guess Pix has GAS and JAS!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Mrs Buzzwagon and I have a fully loaded Landrover Discovery for when we need 4 wheels but we like to spend our time on our bikes, she has a Triumph Sprint ST 1050, (being traded for a Triumph Tiger 800 next month), and I have a fully loaded BMW R1200RT. I'm a trainer for our local advanced riding group and probably do around 10,000 miles a year on the bike, I'm rarely off it at weekends!

This summer we're off to Southern Germany for two weeks and to take in the annual BMW festival on the bikes and we've been all over Europe in the last few years, as far as Spain, Italy, Croatia and Bosnia so far. My ambition used to be to ride around the world on a bike but unfortunately ill health has put the block on that so these days we stick to the UK and Europe.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

tubatooter1940 wrote:

Nice one Tuba, of such things are magical memories made!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

This mom drives a minivan with 160k on it... times coming to get rid of it soon for an economy car.  I used to drive a 1500 Chevy extended cab but the car seats wouldn't fit in the back sad  I miss that truck!  The hubster's had some fun vehicles over the years but had to give them up for vehicles that he could actually drive long distances and bring work gear along with.  I'll see if I have any pics for ya'll to ooo and ahhh over!  LOL!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

tubatooter1940 wrote:

When we have wind, I sail a 1980 Contessa 26 sailboat with a 10 horse Yanmar diesel.
When we don't, I have a 14 foot tri-hull fishing skiff with a 25 hp Mercury outboard. I rarely fish. I just use it to gun around in Fly Creek.

Seems you've got the right toys, there Tuba.  I thought all the RD400's went to 2-stroke heaven.  Here's my one toy that keeps me tinkering.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w140/AccoustikNoyz/DSC00054.jpg

Wow we must be a conservative bunch here. I fit right in having lots of miles also. Got a 98
   sc2 saturn with 289k. Laid off now and my youngest daughter needs a work car so I loaded
   it up on the car hauler and am going 2-1/2 hours today to give it to her and bring back a
   suzuki 4x4 that died to see if I can revive it? This is being pulled by my 99F250 7.3 which
   is a little rare as being a single cab with 297k but taken well care of. My GF has a 97 Blazer
   with the low miles at 146k,lol. Out back is the "project" vehicle, a 66 Chevy 3/4 ton. Hopefully
   it will be running this summer. Nice Torino A-N! It reminds me of the 72 MachI I use to have.
   Wouldn't you love to have those cars we let go?       Mike

Our intuitions serve us well

15 (edited by Guitarpix 2011-03-20 14:32:20)

papaguitar wrote:

Wow we must be a conservative bunch here. I fit right in having lots of miles also. Got a 98
   sc2 saturn with 289k. Laid off now and my youngest daughter needs a work car so I loaded
   it up on the car hauler and am going 2-1/2 hours today to give it to her and bring back a
   suzuki 4x4 that died to see if I can revive it? This is being pulled by my 99F250 7.3 which
   is a little rare as being a single cab with 297k but taken well care of. My GF has a 97 Blazer
   with the low miles at 146k,lol. Out back is the "project" vehicle, a 66 Chevy 3/4 ton. Hopefully
   it will be running this summer. Nice Torino A-N! It reminds me of the 72 MachI I use to have.
   Wouldn't you love to have those cars we let go?       Mike

If that Zuki is a Sami with the 1.3L engine, I'm very familiar with them...  Just figured I'd mention it in case you need someone to bounce some ideas off of. I've built up 2 of those in the past and have done loads of of troubleshooting on 'em...

My last Sami... (only picture I could find quickly and it's a pic of a pic sad)
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5135/5542609053_6ff3dceb09.jpg
Man I miss that truck.... She was so much fun to drive!

16 (edited by Guitarpix 2011-03-20 14:03:11)

AccoustikNoyz wrote:

Here's my one toy that keeps me tinkering.

http://i175.photobucket.com/albums/w140 … C00054.jpg

Sweet ride dude smile Have any more pics?

I believe most folks around here have already seen my toy. With my recent move to Florida, I am concerned how the salt air might effect her, so I have decided to sell her to my brother. At least she'll be in the family and I'll be able to see / drive her on visits.

A newer convertible will be on my shopping list in the near future

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5052/5426363533_5d76839da4_m.jpg

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5255/5426364073_f87b42c44c_m.jpg

Rule No. 1 - If it sounds good - it is good!

Here's , my 1960 Duo-glide I restored it about 20 years ago and still own it.

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab182/wlbaye/Scan_Pic0015.jpg

Later, Wayne P

Hey topdown I wish I was closer to you I would like to see your mustang in person,that was one of my next projects but age and money have stopped me from restoring cars.I also wanted to restore an older vw bug to stock.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

tubatooter1940 wrote:

That's nearly identical to the Kawasaki I used to ride.  I haven't ridden since being a teenager, but still miss it. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I ride a Honda VTR 250.  She's only a little bike, but I love her.

wlbaye wrote:

Here's , my 1960 Duo-glide I restored it about 20 years ago and still own it.

http://i862.photobucket.com/albums/ab18 … ic0015.jpg

Pretty!

I've got a 2000 Kawasaki Concours in the garage, and a 1986 GSX-R750.  The Conk is a daily rider and long distance hooligan bike.  The GSX-R is just a straight up hooligan bike.   I just discovered my new neighbor has a Honda ST-1100 in the garage, so I'm going to tear the Conk down and tune it so I can keep up with him.

Here's the Conk and my eldest somewhere in the desert as we found our way to Glacier National Park a few years ago.

I love that bike...

http://img348.imageshack.us/img348/3870/dryfallsoverlook5kl.jpg

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

There is some really cool rides posted here. Never have done a restore but hope to get
   the 66 truck somewhat restored. Like the bikes too. Awesome job Wayne! Thanks Pix
   as I may take you up on your advice offer. I have to trouble shoot to see what it needs
   to run, repair some body damage etc. This is a tracker model and not sure the motor
   size yet, just got back with it last night and still on the hauler for now.

Our intuitions serve us well

24 (edited by Guitarpix 2011-04-22 14:01:58)

Painted my '89 XJ (the red one posted above) yesterday smile   Added 3.5 inches of lift to the front (making it a total of 7 inches lift) and am waiting for the new rear leafs ,coming in today, to finish it up....

A quick pic to show the build progress
http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5068/5641997128_b4d0b427b9.jpg

Hi pix,nice jeep,I have a chick magnet 99 ford taurus have not had too do anything too it great little cars. I am playing around with another homade rocket I have made a couplein the past they are fun too shoot off in a field.