Topic: playing guitar saved my life

I have never seen this subject brought upSounds odd but true.Back in the 80s the worst thing I had was time.Too much time was my worst enemy so I decided  to learn to play guitar.In my spare time I would practice practice practice.When I didnt have a girlfriend i saw it as an oppurtinity to practice.It wasnt unusual to get so caught up in a song that I would stay home saturday night to learn it.The night I met my wife,I was able to say I play guitar instead of doing nothing or getting drunk all the time.What do I have to show for it?A life,a family and a skill that will last me the rest of my life.All my friends who dont play have dull lives,whine all the time or have died.That is how playing guitar saved my life.It gave me a life.It didnt save me from death but it did save me from becoming a bitter whiny bitch.Now I enjoy playing,and have a teenage daughter who plays also.LIFE IS GOOD,It all started with a cheap Les paul copy that met its demise in 1982.So next time you play ask yourself what playing has done for you.You  may surprise yourself.  Thanx

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: playing guitar saved my life

Well I can't say as it saved my life, but it has saved my sanity.  When I am down or mad at something I always find comfort in picking up the guitar and playing songs.  It is a good outlet for those times when you just have too much on your mind and need to vent.  That's what it does for me.  On the up side, it is also fun to play when I am happy.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

pete you pretty much say the words I would say,I have many times grabbed my guitar when I was going through bad times and also good times.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Music is a language we are lucky to be able to speak. I feel sorry for those who can't communicate this way. So much fun to swill beer and pass the guitar around.
When I was an electrician the wire bundles looked like spaghetti to me.
Talent is required to troubleshoot a complex electrical problem. Most anyone can make repairs once the problem is clearly understood.
I can't troubleshoot a computer but I can listen to a large orchestra and tell which players are messing up.
I kept coming back to music because I am confident I can figure most things out and be happy with a project well done. When under stress I find comfort in starting a new musical project.
I feel I am blessed to be able to enjoy this.
Happy toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I can't really say what it is about playing guitar.

It's fun, to be able to make music is an awesome thing. It's cool, there are millions of guitar players in the world but it's still kind of an elite club. It's stress relieving like Benson said. It's self gratifying, you feel good about your self when you accomplish what you've been working on. It's makes you smarter (music itself anyway) kids who play music are academically smarter than other kids.

I'm in construction and on a daily basis if I whack,cut,pinch,smash, or scrape my hand, the first thing I think is "can I still play".

Lots of us have asked ourselves why we didn't start playing sooner.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

6 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2011-03-23 08:26:30)

Pete(BensonP),I said it didnt save me from death but FROM BEING A BITTER WHINY BITCH. I should have made that point clearer.You put it best.SAVED MY SANITY.It is an outlet for good times and bad.Nothing like stratotherapy

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

The therapy of music has certainly helped me though some rough spots.  As for the guitar... my family much prefers hearing me play it than belting out an Italian Aria so I think the guitar has saved them.  big_smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I don't want to play music.  I need to.  For years I didn't, and it ached.  Eventually, I just had to do it again else I'd have gone crazy.

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

I don't want to play music.  I need to.  For years I didn't, and it ached.  Eventually, I just had to do it again else I'd have gone crazy.

Zurf, I know exactly the feeling you're talking about but with me it's preaching.  Guitar is relaxing, rewarding, and sometimes frustrating but preaching is my heart.

Scott
Philippians 3:13, 14
Takamine GS330S

mekidsmom wrote:

The therapy of music has certainly helped me though some rough spots.  As for the guitar... my family much prefers hearing me play it than belting out an Italian Aria so I think the guitar has saved them.  big_smile

An Italian Aria?  Classy.

Scott
Philippians 3:13, 14
Takamine GS330S

Yes, joey, you mentioned therapy.  It does provide that.  How can you lose?

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

It seems like it is therapy,it is used at ball games, funerals, at war at weddings and many other functions. Very motivational!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

bensonp wrote:

Well I can't say as it saved my life, but it has saved my sanity.  When I am down or mad at something I always find comfort in picking up the guitar and playing songs.  It is a good outlet for those times when you just have too much on your mind and need to vent.  That's what it does for me.  On the up side, it is also fun to play when I am happy.

My sentiments exactly!!

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

srpetty wrote:
mekidsmom wrote:

An Italian Aria?  Classy.

Yeah... no one really likes opera much... and they think that "stuff" is opera, so to the GUITAR!  (I still sing in the shower though).

thanx for all your answers but I must stress the fact that when I say it saved my life,I mean it saved me from being a whiny bitch.It helped to give me a life.It didnt have anything to do with death.Although I would rather be dead than not be able to play anymore.All of you can agree that once you get a taste of playing,you get  addicted and only want more more MOOOOOOOOOOORE

Enjoy Every Sandwich

I've always been crazy but it (Music)keeps me from going insane!

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Hi guys im a newbie found the site last night and its a very warm welcoming forum .
I've been playing 8 weeks and im loving it,i dont want to put the guitar down
especially now the chord transistions have become much easier and no more sore fingertips
(which nearly lead me to giving up but im so happy i didnt).I can honestly say that it has got to be the most relaxing fun rewarding winding down therapy for me after getting home from work,and stops me being a whining bitch i normally am wink i will be around the site everyday browsing and posting where possible thanks for making this a great site to learn from and such a great bunch of like minded people.

Mother nature can throw so much destruction at us.....But why does she always reward us with such beauty.

Welcome to the forum Highly Strung!  Stick with it... in 6 months you'll be AMAZED at where you're at!  This is a GREAT group of people that are happy to chat it up, or help you out and there is NO stupid question.  We were all newbies at some point (I'm just shy of 2 years playing myself smile)
Amy

Thanks amy,wow 6 months thats a confidence boost i'll take that as something to look forward too
and progress wink

Mother nature can throw so much destruction at us.....But why does she always reward us with such beauty.

Welcome to Chordie Highly Strung. 

Keep practicing.  Record yourself now if you can, then again in a month, and again in a month or so.  Then when you get frustrated, you can see how fast you've improved.  It's kind of like with kids.  The parents see them and think, "Well, you've grown some."  But relatives come along and haven't seen them in a long while and think "Holy Moses!  Who is that GIANT with you?"  You know your playing is getting better, but until you compare it to where you were it's hard to know just how much that 1/2 hour a day has done for you. 

Good luck.  Have fun.  Join in.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Zurf wrote:

Welcome to Chordie Highly Strung. 

Keep practicing.  Record yourself now if you can, then again in a month, and again in a month or so.  Then when you get frustrated, you can see how fast you've improved.  It's kind of like with kids.  The parents see them and think, "Well, you've grown some."  But relatives come along and haven't seen them in a long while and think "Holy Moses!  Who is that GIANT with you?"  You know your playing is getting better, but until you compare it to where you were it's hard to know just how much that 1/2 hour a day has done for you. 

Good luck.  Have fun.  Join in.

- Zurf

VERY TRUE!  I look back at some of my youtube videos and think... OH GOD that's so bad, I should take it down!  But then I remember how long I had been playing at that point, and can SMILE at how far I've come (and the fact that I can realize how horrible it was, when at the time I was happy with it).  Even if you don't put it online, just a simple recording with what ever you have, save it, and listen to it in a few months.  You'll be sooooo happy and be able to really SEE what you've done!  smile

example... a few months:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDY5fwcBMQM
a year and a half (yes, I hear that horrid squeek, but darn how the strumming and chord changes have come along, far bigger comfort levels):  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmUPLnE2 … re=related

AND to not totally hijack this thread... ALL this improvement and talk of it IS exactly the kind of thing that has SAVED MY LIFE!  JOEY... good thread!  big_smile

Hijack the thread all you want.That is how some great conversations start.Sort of a sequel.   Joey

Enjoy Every Sandwich

23 (edited by butlersdog 2011-05-06 08:30:53)

I think that if you would consider all the things here, like having playing guitar in order to saved a life, then it would be good in the long run. I just hope that things would be okay in the future.