Topic: Question for the southpaws

Lefties:

A question (may be a stupid one, but just out of curiosity) from a righty.

How/why did you learn to play a guitar left handed?  Seems to me that the first time you picked up a guitar it was likely to have been a right-handed guitar, only because they are more common.  So that's an assumption which may or may not be true in your particular case.

Nothing feels "normal" the first time you do it.  The first time I picked up a guitar, both my left and right hands were awkward, but I learned to play right handed mainly because that's the way the guitar was made.  Had my father (whose guitar I started to play on) owned a left-handed guitar, I could easily see myself as having learned to play lefty.

Assuming your first encounter was with a right-handed guitar, instead of learning to play it right-handed, what made you decide that it needed to be flipped around?

Just wondering.

'Nomikal.

"Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid." - Despair, Inc.

Re: Question for the southpaws

Hi 'Nomikal,

I am a ‘Lefty’ and I play right handed!  You are correct that the first guitar I picked up was a right-hander but it felt natural.  Flipping it over just felt awkward.  I put it down to living in a right-handed world.  I originally trained as an automotive engineer and as almost all threads are right handed I got used to using spanners and screwdrivers in my right hand.  Just to mix things up a bit more, as I said I play guitar right handed, I bowl right handed but I play golf and darts left handed!  I write with my left hand but I can type with both hands, one finger on each!  Being a lefty has its advantages I suppose.

Doctor.

I'm a lefty (leftie?) and I play right-handed. Never considered the sinister approach.

I know one or two right handed people that play left handed and even more that are left but play right.... I was always told that you should ask a new player to play air guitar for you smile If they do it left handed then that's the best way for them to learn and vise-versa. You should play what feels most natural to you! Learning can be hard enough as it is and we should do everything we can to make it easy and enjoyable wink

I agree that most lefties playing right probably learned it that way because it's what was available to them at the time... My son is left handed but everyone told me it'd be best to teach him right handed since he was so young. We tried that for a bit and he struggled but still made some progress. Finally bought him a lefty and his rate of progress has increased considerably. It's definitely more natural to him to play left handed. I think it really all comes down to the individual though.... Some people are more set in there way (left or right handed) while some can switch back and forth fairly easily. It all comes down to the degree of favoritism/instinct/natural feel for that person.....

I'm right handed mostly... Though I write both ways and all my fishing gear is left handed smile

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Hi guys

I'm a lefty and proud.  My early education took place in 60's UK when teachers tried everything to force me to be right handed even to the point of tying my left hand behind my back.  I refused to be bullied even at the age of 5.  As far as the guitar is concerned my parents didn't even think a guitar could be right or left handed when they bought me a KL classical at Christmas 1969.  I tried for 3 months to get to grips with it as a right hander but eventually gave up and threw it to one side.  My dad was put out when I stopped playing but when I explained the problem he disappeared with the guitar to his workshed and a few hours later brought me it back with the bridge and nut adjusted and all of the strings on the right way round.  It was so much easier to play.  The only trouble I have ever had since is with chord diagrams (Chordie has solved that as you can turn them around) and learning TAB - the TAB issue might just be down to me though.

Ian

All things good to know are difficult to learn.
Greek Proverb

Doctor wrote:

Hi 'Nomikal,

I am a ‘Lefty’ and I play right handed!  You are correct that the first guitar I picked up was a right-hander but it felt natural.  Flipping it over just felt awkward.  I put it down to living in a right-handed world.  I originally trained as an automotive engineer and as almost all threads are right handed I got used to using spanners and screwdrivers in my right hand.  Just to mix things up a bit more, as I said I play guitar right handed, I bowl right handed but I play golf and darts left handed!  I write with my left hand but I can type with both hands, one finger on each!  Being a lefty has its advantages I suppose.

Doctor.

THREADJACK WARNING.

You mention darts left-handed.  Right handed, I consistently defeated tournament champions.  However, I am ambidextrous so I learned to play darts and keep score left handed well enough to matter.  So anyway back in my days when "mark" meant more than "integrity", my buddy and I would get someone to come up and ask if we wanted to play for beers.  Sure.  So we'd play for beers (me playing left-handed) and maybe we'd win and maybe we'd lose.  So then after a couple "best out of threes" (especially if we they were close and in the other guy's favor), there'd be that "so do you want to make it interesting" question.  At which point I'd say, "Sure.  If you want to make it really interesting, let's use our off hands..."   

Man, I've got some kharmic making up to do.

I NOW RETURN YOU TO YOUR REGULARLY SCHEDULED THREAD. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

You are devious, Zurf, but whatever works.  A dart shark.  The dart whisperer.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

8 (edited by tfsails 2010-11-21 02:11:22)

I think a lefty has to adapt more to the right-handed world than does a righty.  When I started playing guitar the only left-handed guitar I was aware of was the bass Paul McCartney played in the Beatles.  There was no choice: play righty or don't play.  But, I also bat and play golf (assuming you call what I do "playing golf") right-handed.  I'm left-handed but almost ambidextrous.  I've tried picking a lefty guitar but it just doesn't work for me at all.

I am not a lefty but I just wanted to say that I have seen leftys who play with a right handed guitar they just learned how to do everything upside down. I have witnessed this type of playing on 2 different ocations. there for a lefty taught this way would would play a right handed guitar left handed.

what a long strange trip it's been

Guitarpix wrote:

I know one or two right handed people that play left handed and even more that are left but play right.... I was always told that you should ask a new player to play air guitar for you smile If they do it left handed then that's the best way for them to learn and vise-versa.

Yeah, probably true.  I am hopelessly left handed in all things but guitar.  And I think as said by some the first guitar you actually pick up kind of drives it.  But if a rockin song comes on and I mimic with "air guitar" would you believe it's left handed. I've tried to hold a left hand guitar and it's awkward so I'm staying.  Plus might cool to be able to play anyone else's (when they let you).

patrickjacques wrote:

I am not a lefty but I just wanted to say that I have seen leftys who play with a right handed guitar they just learned how to do everything upside down. I have witnessed this type of playing on 2 different ocations. there for a lefty taught this way would would play a right handed guitar left handed.

I have also seen a guy pick up my guitar, turn it upside down and play it better than I could play it right side up. It is amazing to watch a lefty play a right handed guitar upside down.

as i lefty we adapt to a right hand world. first
guitar was right hand used kona. never could
form chords as a righty. many years later
bought an lefty electric epiphone and took to it like
a duck to water.    albert king the great lefty
bluesman played a right hand guitar and did not
turn it upside down. looked weird ,steve cropper
who played on some of his cuts never could figure
out how he got such tone like that.   again  we adapt.

I can play with both my hands, but sadly I only
have a right handed guitar so it sounds bad... :S

I am lefty but I play right handed.It felt natural ,plus I had no idea their was such a thing as a left handed guitar.I always saw one played righty and thought that was the only way to play.Never noticed if Hendrix or McCartney were left handed or not.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I'm right handed. When I tried playing chords with the left hand, they were not easy.  I'm not sure what the difference would be, if I'd picked up a left handed guitar and learnt it the other way instead. Isn't it just what you get used to?

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.