Topic: semi hollow advice

If I may tap into the collective wisdom..  anyone have the pros and cons regarding an Epiphone Dot.. especially if you own one..  thumbs up or down?
Thanks. 
Deb

Re: semi hollow advice

I own one, and it's one of my favorite guitars.  Plug it into a tube amp and it's golden. It doesn't have the high end finishing touches like the ES-335, but for the money you'll spend on it, you'll be hard pressed to find a better value.

If I had three hands, it would get three thumbs up.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

jerome.oneil wrote:

I own one, and it's one of my favorite guitars.  Plug it into a tube amp and it's golden. It doesn't have the high end finishing touches like the ES-335, but for the money you'll spend on it, you'll be hard pressed to find a better value.

If I had three hands, it would get three thumbs up.

+1 I also own one...great value. It is not an ES335 but it"s worthwhile

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Many thanks folks.  I've been looking at them lately and they really seem to be quite a bargain.  Your reviews - as people who actually have one - are exactly what I needed to make up my mind.  Appreciate it..   deb

I've got one as well. I upgraded the pick ups to Gibson 490/498 and it sounds great.  And a really great player to boot.  For the money...a lot of guitar.

Now I work down at the car wash where all it ever does is rain.

'99 Gibson Les Paul Special DC, '99 Epiphone Dot, '06 Norman B50, '03 Yamaha FG-433S, Fender Performer 650

Love mine. Best value on the market. One thing to watch for is the electronics. I'm not trying to tell you not to get one, I'm just saying that the input jack and all the pots on mine were loose. I'm very handy so it didn't bother me at all, till I got it home and had to stick a finger way down inside those little F holes and keep them from spinning while I tightened them up. It was very difficult. If the one you pick has the same problem ask them to fix it at the store. Test it after to make sure they didn't just tighten it and pull the wires off. That little trouble was well worth the payoff. Its warm and mellow and like Jerome said play it through tubes and your in heaven.

Good to know Craig23..  I will be sure to check on that.  With all this NGD chatting..  I've got to get going..

Craig23 is right.I have one tooWhen I got it home,all the electronics had to be tightened.I have heard that epiphones are known for being poorly set up.After that it is a great guitar.I have the strippo version.Satin finish,no pickguard and black hardware,Less is more because it is a mean looking guitar.The best part is that it is a neck thru design.If you stick your fingers in the f holes you can feel the block of wood inside just like the 335s.Helps to eliminate feedback.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Y ou can not get much better for the money,one of the best guitars out there!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

cough.....  Gretsch G5122DC   cough, cough.....    smile
cough....  lovely.

Wakey..  I absolutely agree with you about the Gretsch G5122..  Its that exact model that got me on a kick to get a semi hollow..  a friend has one that I tried out and it really is a nice guitar.  I checked out the G5120.. but its a full hollow body..  I really like the sleekness of the semi..  bit of a difference in price.. about $300.. from the Dot.. but a sweet guitar indeed.   Man.. now I'm back on getting the Gretsch..

My work here is done.

smile

I play one and it has great playability and dirties up nicely. I use it in a Joy Division cover band (!) which is very harsh sounding but I can also get some nice sweet tones out of it too.

I hadn't checked back on this in a while..  want to say I got the Epiphone Dot..  natural.  I really love the way it plays and looks..and the price was right..  its a beauty.  Thanks to all for the good reviews.. 
And to beadaal..  a Joy Division cover band.. gotta love that.. 
thanks chordians....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BOGMuGc … re=related

Here's my natural epi in action!

Thanks beadaal.. enjoyed the tune..  and the Epi looks good..  I just love that there's a Joy Division cover band out there..   peace.

I tried  the   dot  and  the  gibson  335 when  I  was looking  for  a  semi but  I  ended up  buying  the  Vintage  vs 535 as the  slimmer  neck    felt  better  as  I have  small  hands . I  find  it  plays   great and  suits  my  style.

Nice, Vintage are very much up and coming, in my opinion, and I think you'll have yourself a decent guitar there.