Topic: Elecrtic newbie

I have been an acoustic player my whole life, however I do own a solid body electric and I have been shopping for an upgrade. I have played both a Strat and a Les paul. I like them both, and if I had the money they would both come home with me,but I don't so they can't. I guess I really don't play electrics enough to know exactly what I want. I am interested in hearing everyones opinion on both guitars and why you like one more then the other.

Re: Elecrtic newbie

Hi jcellini, I have owned one at least of both these models,they are both great guitars. It is a hard pick,I finally got mine down to the strat, as it is a little more verisitile and lighter in weight. It really comes down to your taste. I really do not play electric much now,I did what you are doing acoustic to electric,but I came back to acoustic and only play electric about ten percent of the time.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

big difference between the two is fretboard gauging. I have strat, tele, and gibson models and although I love the strat and tele sounds, I have a tough time with the distance between frets low on the fretboard...gibson seems to just fit my hand better. something to keep in mind...

I own all three. Each has it's place. I would say if I could only have one I would choose a strat as it's the most versatile (sound wise) in my opinion

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

Same as above really, I've owned a Les Paul and have a Tele and a Strat and for me I could never get on with the LP neck, I found it too chunky. The Strat is also far more versatile than the LP, that'd be the way I'd go.

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

dino48 wrote:

Hi jcellini, I have owned one at least of both these models,they are both great guitars. It is a hard pick,I finally got mine down to the strat, as it is a little more verisitile and lighter in weight. It really comes down to your taste. I really do not play electric much now,I did what you are doing acoustic to electric,but I came back to acoustic and only play electric about ten percent of the time.

Thanks everyone for your input. Dino I agree, the electric will not be my go to guitar, I am an acoustic player and always will be. The elect. will be played a small percent of the time. I am still a little ways away from a purchace, but I too am leaning toward the strat.

I own a 1960 Gibson ES330. I prefer the Fender neck but the Gibson offers a wider variety of really cool sounds.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

tubatooter1940 wrote:

I own a 1960 Gibson ES330. I prefer the Fender neck but the Gibson offers a wider variety of really cool sounds.

Ok, now I'm leaning towrds the Gibson. CRAP! I'm so confused.

Hi again jcellini,you might consider buying a mexican made strat,they are fairly cheap and sound about the same as the american one,then see if you have enough for a gibson,or get a gibson a little later. I have a mexican made strat and it sound/plays as well as my friends american made. I only paid $170.00 for it case and all.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

The Strat is more versatile and cheaper consider used. Lately the Squier series are very good
if you are not set in brands you might consider an used Ibanez Roadstar great neck and great sound.
Good luck
Cheers
Freddie

I prefer the thick sound of a les. But my les is not even my main guitar, my morgan monroe is. I would actualy suggest a washburn electric or something along those lines with both single coil and humbucker pick ups. Realy comes down to what feels and plays right for you. The best guitar i ever played didnt even have a brand name on it, just a sticker on the back that said Korea.

"Nobody paints by ear so why would I play guitar by sight?" hmm

Look at used axes to get the price down. I love my tele

13 (edited by Riverliver 2011-04-26 04:38:18)

Hi guys, I'm a new member at Chordie, but not entirely new to the guitar.
Just to throw a little different light on this question, my personal choice is an Australian made guitar called Maton. ***link removed by moderator***
Maton are available in the US, each guitar is hand made to order, by the descendents of Bill May the company founder.

Some of the more prominent players of Maton guitars are Slash, George Harrison(he played an MS500), Tommy Emmanuel.

Over the last 40 years or so, I have owned a Les Paul, I've played Tele's and Strat's, I have a small collection that includes a rather old and well worn German Hofner acoustic, a really nice Essex Resonator, and my beloved Maton.

Keep on playing, no matter if you are a simple Rythm section player like myself, or a front of stage lead ace, it's all music and love.

Riverliver from Australia

I'm with Butch.  Tele is the way to go. Its a very honest and straight forward instrument that won't dissappoint.

Now available in 5G !

15 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2011-04-28 07:40:33)

Im partial to strats myself.Just a good all around utility guitar.Easy to play and affordable.(at least a mexican)Les pauls are nice but a cheap one is still expensive used or new.The money you save with a strat you can buy a fairly nice amp or almost a full tank of gas

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.