Topic: barre chords

Hello. I took up the guitar at age 55! I have been playing for nearly 4 years and am still having trouble with barre chords. My hands and fingers are quite small and it seems I don't have very flexible wrists as they can get quite achy after trying to play barre chords. It just doesn't come naturally to me at all. I even still have trouble playing a b minor chord just using the top 4 strings. My fingers do not want to get into this position. Am I too old and my joints too inflexible? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Re: barre chords

If you're having wrist issues, you might try holding the guitar in "classical position" and bring the headstock up to about eye level.  It might seem awkward at first, but your wrist will thank you and it's much easier to apply the force necessary to get the barre to work.  Another trick is to practice those barre's up around the ninth fret; much easier to get a decent sound there, and as you build up strength you can easily work your way back toward the nut.  Practice each day until your hand is getting close to cramping, but don't go past the point of pain.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

Sounds just like me. I have very stiff wrist and inflexible, shortish fingers. I also seem to have deeper 'grooves' in my fingers on the joints and holding a straight finger across all strings without at least 2 of them burring is difficult. My wrist stiffness means I'm always putting the finger across at an angle and not straight across the frets. I have practised and practised and just can't get there after many years. I agree, the lack of a barre chord Bm is a major problem with a lot of songs.

Like the previous answer I do find it a bit easier to change the guitar position; holding it more in the classical position and also resting it on my left knee instead of the right; it seems to make the wrist position less stressful.

On a few songs requiring Bm I find that using a simple D6 chord works quite well; not on all songs but some.

I've also tried practising with guitar tuned to an Open tuning (I use D) and that lets you use a straight barre up the fretboard to produce other open chords.

Good luck; I share your pain.

Welcome to Bill and John!!!!

Maybe some wrist stretching exercises before you play. When you have the guitar tipped up, like the classical position, try to pull on the neck of the guitar instead of squeezing it. Hope that makes sense. So, holding the guitar stationary, you can pull from your elbow. I have to do that if I play a guitar with thick strings or high action.

Stole this from About.com
"Try slightly pulling the body of the guitar towards your body, using the arm of your picking hand. Also gently pull the neck towards you with your fretting hand. This makes fretting barre chords somewhat easier."

Good luck!!!

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Try lighter strings.

I see friends holdiong hands, saying "How do you do"
They're really saying, "I love you"
Louis Armstrong. Wonderful world.

Have the action checked too, it maybe too high.

Try this little exercise. Touch your index finger and thumb - make a rolling motion with these 2 fingers like you are trying to make a ball. Do this for 3 minutes. Then middle finger and thumb for 3 minutes. Then ring finger and thumb for 3 minutes. You can do this with the pinky and thumb, as well but this can get difficult. This little exercise will help build up your finger muscles and help with the cramps that comes with playing barre chords. Believe it or not this is an excerise that came to me from a proffessional arm wrestler.

One other thing, I have found that finding a simple 3 chord songs in the key of G very helpful in practicing barre chords. Going from an open C to a barre F to a barre G helps build muscle memory (even add a barre Am every now and then). And if you can't get the barre chords down - use a capo.

Nela

hi bill,and john welcome too chordie you got alot ofgood advice in the above posts. I have short fingers also so I do alot of wrist arching and fingers also,it will come with practice.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Blimey! I never expected such a great response. Thanks so much everyone for your great advice. I have found the holding the guitar in the classical position helps and also barre chords are easier the further up the neck I go (a barred F chord is virtually impossible). My action seems ok, in fact I have lowered it as much as it can go, any more and it will start to buzz. I am using lighter strings now but the sound of the guitar (VAG) is not as good as with heavier gauge strings so I may go back to the slightly heavier gauge. I will definitely try all the the positions and exercises so thanks again for taking the time to respond to my question. Much appreciated. Bill.

Billo,  Welcome to Chordie there's tons of great advice here from tons of great people.  I'd like to thank NELA for that new exercise that I'm doing.  Right now its no problem with the index finger but progressively much more difficult with the other fingers.  That Pinky hurts!  I'll keep that up! Thanks again.

Now available in 5G !

you might also try getting a palm size rubber ball and squize it alot,even when you are watching tv,a hand/finger exerciser bought at k-mart works well also.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

12 (edited by myibanez 2011-04-18 02:43:26)

It was hard to for me. I played a solid couple months before my hand stopped cramping. Play a little every day till hand starts to hurt then stop. Remember find an agle that works on the barre finger. it does not have to be strait up and down. You have the e shape already fretted just touchthe top string with barre finger tip and arch the finger with the side and flesh of the barre on the two lower strings. you can put the barre tip right over the fret to make it comforable. experiment , it don't have to be perfect and you will soon find your spot. play sittin on the dock of the bay every day.

Ibanez ew20ase-nt
Martin D-18
Taylor GC-5