Topic: Bulge in the top of the guitar

Hi, anybody know how to fix this?
I've taken all the strings off and have it  clamped at the moment.
I can leave this for awhile, hoping that in time it will lower!
not sure if this will work.
Any advice please.
Cheers.
John.

Re: Bulge in the top of the guitar

What guitar/type is it? And where is the bulge exactly?
May be build up of moisture...  difficult to say.
Pics may help.

Cheers

Bulge is in the lower bout, behind the bridge, resulting in high action.
The make is an Angelica drednought Japanese made 60's/70's
can play this guitar but have to lower the saddle quite a lot.
It is a good quality guitar and I think it's worth spending some time on, perhaps a little money to!
Thanks for your interest.
Cheers.
John.
PS. There is a little blooming in the varnish on the back, perhaps at some point left in a damp place I think!

that is most likely the bridge pulling. Happens from string tension. I'm not sure what you can do about it....clamping it may help but only in the very short term.

There is a fix for this , it is attached to the inside of the guitar under where the bridge is and to the place [roughly] where the strap button is via a dowel .. Sorry I can,t remember what it,s called offhand .

The hump below the saddle is usually referred to as bellying... It's normal on a guitar of that age...  As long as the saddle is still secure and fairly level (not tilting too much forward) the proper fix is a neck reset. The bellying is from the constant string tension over the years and I doubt the clamping will make any improvement... It may make it look better temporarily but as soon as it's restrung it'll come back. Doing a neck reset will realign the fretboard with the saddle and correct the problem. Many people believe that bellying actually improves the tone and is part of the opening up process...  If you don't want to go through that expense or trouble you can lower the saddle and slot the bridge for more break angle and use lighter gauge strings to keep it playable for as long as possible...  Shaving the bridge may also be an option but I'd like to see some pics before I recommend it....

I believe that henry is talking about the bridge doctor but that's more for fixing a tilting saddle rather than a belly, though it does reduce the belly. However it does sacrifice tone... I'd consider it a last resort myself.

It may be a good idea to check all the interior braces just to be sure one hasn't become unglued... If one has, fixing that will probably offer a measure of improvement as well. Also how much relief is in the neck??

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

Many thanks to all, it has at least given me some options.
Will find someone who can cost for neck reset as the tone
is brilliant and proberbly worth considering the reset.
Once again cheers.
John.
PS. The bridge is rock solid!

Do you know what kind of neck joint it has??  Bolt on or glued in?  If it's bolt on I can walk you through it easily...  Glued in neck joints needs a pro or someone with some experience and the right tools as they can be a real pain!!

[b][color=#FF0000]If your brain is part of the process, you're missing it. You should play like a drowning man, struggling to reach shore. If you can trap that feeling, then you have something.
[/color][/b]         [b]Peace of mind. That's my piece of mind...[/b]

The older members may remember my problems with the Epiphone "Excellente" which I bought at the pawn shop. It had several problems and bellying was one. Mr Clampett added bracing to do away with further bellying and then added a shim under the fret board to realign with the saddle.That was probably over a year ago and it plays great and stays in tune and has a little character.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

Hi, unfortunatly it is a glued neck! I have managed to scim the fret board and stone the frets, all is well in that department.
It has realy nice tuners which I also managed to repair ie.couple of new cogs and screws, now holds tune well!
I have also bought a bone nut and saddle to replace the old one's with, and I am waiting for new strings to arrive.
I am not very good at posting photo's but will try and get my son to help in that department.
Love this site so many helpful people with like minded interests.
Cheers.
John.