1 (edited by naolslager 2011-04-30 13:14:58)

Topic: Opinions on Guitar choices, appointments, features, etc?

I prefer my acoustic guitars unadulterated: no cut-away, no electronics, open-back tuners, and satin finish wood bindings (when the price permits). The only “luxury"  is a pick guard. I also prefer curvy bodies so the dreadnought is not my first choice but I do own one.

Satin finish – I like the look, smell, and FEEL of wood.

No cut-away: I don’t play the upper frets and the cut-away looks like some animal has taken a bite out of the instrument.

No electronics: I play alone and for myself (at least for now). No need for amplification and not interested in effects. I like the sound of an acoustic guitar not some transistor or notch filter. Besides many electronics suites are cut into the body of the guitar destroying the look and craftsmanship in my opinion.

Open-back tuners: I like the simplicity and the appearance of the gears, etc.

Do I always comply with these traits? No: Just my preference.

I’m curious to hear what others prefer.

Re: Opinions on Guitar choices, appointments, features, etc?

I think simpler is better. Cut away or not, doesn't matter to me. I do prefer closed tuners. There are some shapes of guitars that I don't care for. I own an A/E so I can't say that I don't like electronics. I like the satin finish also. I don't really care for the fancy inlays, binding, and pick guards. I think guitars look better plain.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

I played, years ago, on a classical guitar. Hated it. Too hard to barre and not set up real well. I gave up the guitar. When I started up again wifey bought me an Epiphone A/E that is a cut-away. I love it. I DO play down the fretboard (or try) and I plug it in so I can play things differently, but I do tend to pay 'unplugged" more often than plugged. Pickguard? Don't have one now. In 20 years the guitar will show the scars of loving use.

Kinda off the subject but I have noticed that when I play literally forget my worries during the time that I am playing. I don't care how the guitar looks as long as it can help me stay sane.

4 (edited by hailstrummer 2011-05-01 08:26:49)

Just got myself a Freshman Apollo 3DC. It's a Dreadnought Electro Acoustic Cutaway. The cutaway doesnt bother me too much but like you I dont stray that far down the fretboard. It is solid AA Grade Sitka Spruce and has Mahogany back & sides. It also has a Mahogany bound body with maple strip Mahogany bound headstock & Rosewood fingerboard and a natural finish. For what it's worth it's fantastic value for money a beautiful looking plank of wood. I used it at a gig last night for the first time and the sound through my  Roland PA was superb. Very natural and clean. Freshman are a family run Scottish company that strive to use sustainable sources which endeared them to me even further. Highly recommended.

It's got to feel good and sound good. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I definitely prefer natural finishes versus black, red, or even sunburst.  I just like the look of the wood, I guess.  Still too much of a newbie to comment on cutouts or electronics.  Trying to resist guitar acquisition syndrome for an acoustic/electric, though.  It would help out playing at church.

Scott
Philippians 3:13, 14
Takamine GS330S

Stop quibbling and get one scott.  You owe it to yourself and your church.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

i like my acoustic with a pick-up built in as it's a pain mic-ing up for recording. colour matters naught. my Crafter is wired and has a cutaway, it plays sweetly and i love it!

my Telecaster is not the colour i would have chosen, but the feel and the weight in my hands was just right. i also have a Fender Strat and F90 acoustic (au naturale) which i never play any more (cos of the previous two i mentioned) my Wilson bass is ancient but still plays OK, and my 12 string is also good but gets played only seldomly.

in effect, what i'm saying is; if it feels good, play it, if it sounds good, play it. if it dont feel right, leave it in the shop. or if you have it already...sell it

phill

Ask not what Chordie can do for you, but what you can do for Chordie.

9 (edited by naolslager 2011-05-02 22:38:33)

Passed on a used (pretty old for S&P) Simon & Patrick Spruce/Rosewood Dreadnought. It had been sitting a long time, needed a little work, and if it had been satin I might have bought it. I actually told the seller how to re-word her ad on CL to improve interest. I also suggested she increase her price! And because I broke the (very old) G string trying to tune it I gave her a new set of strings. By the way: no E, No cut-away.

10 (edited by srpetty 2011-05-03 13:29:52)

bensonp wrote:

Stop quibbling and get one scott.  You owe it to yourself and your church.

Pete, wish I could.  My finances and my desires are not agreeing with each other.  Ceasing from whining now.

I'm seeing a lot of "if it feels and sounds good, it's good" advice.  I am not even beginning to dispute that.  However, if you don't like how a guitar looks, won't that affect your desire to play it?

Scott
Takamine GS330S

srpetty -
It wouldn't affect mine, but I'm not you.  If it would affect your desire to play, then it matters to you.  And that's what matters. 

Appearance in this case does not reference cleanliness.  A nasty, dirty guitar would definitely affect my desire to play it.  I can recall a guitar that I played at a consignment shop.  It was a Seagull, I don't remember the model but it had a cedar top and a cutaway.  Anyway, it sounded great, but the person who owned it must have been a chain smoker because the thing was so coated in smoke that it was sticky to the touch and even just strumming a couple of chords my hands came away smelling of stale cigarette smoke.  Absolutely disgusting.  The guitar was ruined as far as I'm concerned.

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

srpetty wrote:

I'm seeing a lot of "if it feels and sounds good, it's good" advice.  I am not even beginning to dispute that.  However, if you don't like how a guitar looks, won't that affect your desire to play it?

I agree with the above. I need a guitar to sound good and play easily.
Looks and beauty take a distant low priority.
I'm old and beat up. I don't care if my guitar is as well.
toots

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

Zurf wrote:

srpetty -
Appearance in this case does not reference cleanliness.  A nasty, dirty guitar would definitely affect my desire to play it.  I can recall a guitar that I played at a consignment shop.  It was a Seagull, I don't remember the model but it had a cedar top and a cutaway.  Anyway, it sounded great, but the person who owned it must have been a chain smoker because the thing was so coated in smoke that it was sticky to the touch and even just strumming a couple of chords my hands came away smelling of stale cigarette smoke.  Absolutely disgusting.  The guitar was ruined as far as I'm concerned.

- Zurf

Ewwww

Scott
Takamine GS330S

tubatooter1940 wrote:

I'm old and beat up. I don't care if my guitar is as well.
toots

LOL

Scott
Takamine GS330S

The only reason I buy my acoustics with electronics is when I play out- I plug in, and I never want to own a guitar I cant take out with me. If you dont play out side the four walls of your home , I completely understand that as well. I never thought I would need to plug into an amp. But you never know, I like keeping my options open. It's all good!!!!!!!!!!!!

I agree, I always want a guitar I can play out with at any time. Guitars being the magical,mystical creatures they are you never know when you'll fall in love with one all over again. I want mine to always be ready.

Joe