1 (edited by zguitar 2011-05-03 01:56:33)

Topic: Gigs

Hey all!!!

I have never played for an audience and at this point I don't have a desire to. I can't sing at all and I get kinda nervous just playing with a friend of mine. So I was just wondering, for those of you who play gigs, how did you get into playing for an audience? What was your first attempt?

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Gigs

A dinner/dance at the local golf club.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

A gypsy wedding at a pub in Gravesend about 30 years ago. It was chaos and they didn't want us to stop!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

Nursing home service.  It's amazing how even faltering and imperfect attempts are appreciated and encouraged by those folks.  I go to be a blessing and end up receiving one.

Scott
Philippians 3:13, 14
Takamine GS330S

Try your local open mic nite.

after you read this look further down and you will see my favorite quote.read it,learn it,try to live it

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Me and a friend were just guys that brought guitars to the German American friendship club and tried to play songs that everyone knew.  After several of these get-togethers, we decided to take our guitars to Goetheplatz in Frankfurt to see what we could make playing on a bench in the shopping district.  We made more than enough for train money, dinner and beers.  After several of these trips, I was hooked.

Now available in 5G !

Nursing homes and vetrens hospitals.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I play at campfires where everyone there is my friend and most of them have had adult beverages. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

A discussion of gigs must include house concerts. They are growing in popularity these days for good reason.
1. With the crackdown on drunk driving, a house concert enables most or many of the guests to walk home from the event or snooze until they can safely drive.
2. The expense of food, drink and entertainment is evenly shared by all and usually much less than an evening on the town.
3. Homeowners who like to entertain no longer have to bear all expenditures. More money is available to pay musicians if all attendees pay the same amount.
The homeowner starts by contacting the musicians and clearing the date for the event. He or she then sends invitations out stipulating requirements to pay ($15-$25 per person), supply a covered dish and and to bring
a chair if you wish to sit during the concert.
Musicians love this because the crowd is there to listen to the music.
John Reno and I played one this weekend at a fenced in swimming pool. The food was varied and yummy (pickers eat free). They supplied a washtub of our favorite beer and water bottles iced down on stage. They had a favorite "hooch" contest. Ten guests submitted a large jug of their favorite booze mix. Everybody got a shot cup and a ticket to write their favorite down and drop in a box.
We played three hours and joined the group to relax until we got sleepy. They had a bedroom for us and had a big breakfast and coffee with us before we left the next morning.
These are fun gigs.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I got a call from a friend that knew I was working on a project. He said "Hey, we're playing at this bar and the other band just bailed on us.  Can you guys come in and do a set?"

So we did.  When we were done, the manager signed us up for three more slots.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

I don't really "GIG" anymore since leaving my last band.
But I started out playing in church.
I wouldn't recommend it to anyone...too many egos, politics and confusion to start out playing public-guitar with.
Open Mic night or a party/funeral/wedding would be a much easier and simpler start.
Heck, I consider quitting my church band at least twice a week. If I got one chance to join another band I'd probably take it without hesitation.

Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Detman,  funny you should say that cause I've played party's, funerals and weddings all in the course of a week.  Its an odd and awkward mix.  If you ever end up in the Florida Panhandle Let me know, we'll play some guitar in a place I know that doesn't allow egos, confusion or politics! P.S.  It won't be at a church but it might be on a Sunday........

Now available in 5G !