Topic: movable shape

So I'm going from Am to  barre F. I'm playing Am with middle,ring,pinky. So my question is, are you guys able to keep your fingers in the same relation to each other and just move them up?  Or do u relax and plant them again? I'm working on keeping them in the same position but.............

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: movable shape

Well.. I never had lesson one so I play Am with the index finger and the next two. Barred F tho is index finger all the way across the first fret and the E maj shape below it.  If you're playing the Am shape below the index finger on the first fret you've got a B flat minor. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious. I might just be confused about the question. Sure wouldn't be the first time smile !

Now available in 5G !

It's the Am shape just moved to the 3,4,5 strings on the 2,3 fret. If I use my index,mid,ring finger for the Am I can switch to the F just fine. I was just thinking it would be more useful to do it the other way and just move the shape instead of spaghetti fingers. They are bent at a diff angle because they're 1 string up, but still the same shape.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

To me, it is the shape just not the same fingers and fret.  Bm is my nemesis and it's practicing a-lot, especially if you learned differently. I play Am with index and next two so when pinky is involved it gets more complicated.  There is less surface area on the pinky so getting it right all the time becomes tricky. 

Remember, you can NEVER get enough practice.

Picking away at life, one tune at a time.

For me I usually keep my pinky free when playing Am - that way its available to play an Am7 for a single strum or two which adds a little color into the chord. If I kept my index finger free it would be no good for anything as its tucked away off the fret board. However, if the song included a shift up to to a Bm after the Am, then I would make an exception and finger the Am with a free index. This would enable an easy slide up the fret baord for the next chord by only adding a barre. It all depends on what you need to happen I guess. Same with all chords really. Its good to learn a variety of fingerings so that you can use the one which best suits the song and leaves you in the ideal position for embelishments or as an easy progress to the next chord.

Hope that is of some help.

As always I hope you enjoy my musical journey as much as I do.

I think you'll find that your stamina will increase massively if you relax the fretting hand during the chord changes.  Also, relaxing the fretting hand and then grabbing the same shape in a different place (slowly at first, and then gradually speeding up) will help with both your fretting accuracy and your changing speed.  So, yes you should relax the fingers during the changes rather than attempting to muscle through it.

"There's such a fine line between genius and stupidity."
                              --David St. Hubbins

dguyton wrote:

I think you'll find that your stamina will increase massively if you relax the fretting hand during the chord changes.  Also, relaxing the fretting hand and then grabbing the same shape in a different place (slowly at first, and then gradually speeding up) will help with both your fretting accuracy and your changing speed.  So, yes you should relax the fingers during the changes rather than attempting to muscle through it.

Yep, Z ya gotta relax the grip between chord changes and it increases speed and stamina, decreases cramping and makes it more fluid.  I'd go with the index finger, middle, and ring finger shape on the Am.  Save the pinky trick you mentioned for the E chord in some songs.

Steve

Using your fingering is a great way to increase hand strength and dexterity in the less used fingers. Try playing a G without your index finger, as well!