1 (edited by naolslager 2011-05-16 19:24:12)

Topic: Autographed Guitars? Warning: A Rant

Why do people tout autographed guitars as something special? And more often than not I've never heard of the person. I didn't write in books until I was at least 40 years old and I don't write on guitars. Nor will I ever purchase one with a Sharpie-infested soundboard. I don't care if it's the last "pre-war, Brazilian Rosewood, Martin D-XX" in existence, if some chucklehead has written on it the value to me is zero. I just as soon see it chucked in a fire thereby increasing the value of all the remaining specimens. And my disgust holds for guitars with stickers on them or guitars that have been be-dazzled by some jewel-loving goon.

A guitar is a work of art in and of itself and it will not, can not be improved by ladening it with decor.

Re: Autographed Guitars? Warning: A Rant

Couldn't agree with you more, but you have to admit, if you had a guitar with Eric Claptons signature, you would have something to talk about.  I don't like stickers either.  My guitars will remain unadorned for my lifetime.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Not mine.  I'm planning on bringing a Sharpie to this summer's events and getting folks to sign Ol' Reliable if they're willing. 

The guitar's worth little as it is.  It's surely not worth anything on the used market.  But having some reminders of good times and good people will surely increase its value to me. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

Depends on the guitar.  If I'm touting about a $5K Taylor, keep that pen away from me.  If I'm sporting the $99 Yamaha, sign 'em up.

In an interesting bit of semi-apropos anecdotal story telling, I went to see Joe Pug play at the Tractor Tavern on Friday.  The guy that opened up for him, Ben Gilmer, was phenomenal.    I'd never heard of him, but he was really good.   I bought both his records.   I got home and was looking up the guys Myspace page, and discovered that he was out here to finish his Ph.D in medicinal geography.  I found his Massters Thesis.

I'm going to print it out, and if I see him again, have him autograph that.  smile

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

Well I've got a Telecaster signed by my favourite picker, the legendary Albert Lee. I know it's the real deal as it was me that asked him to sign it and I've got a great piccie of me and Albert that was taken on the night by the lovely Mrs Buzzwagon.

We're off to see him again with his band Hogans Heroes on Thursday. Can't wait but first we have the small matter of a trackday on the bikes at Cadwell Park on Wednesday. Good week for me then!!

Jerry

Live the life you love, love the life you live

I put stickers all over my guitar case. My axe remains unadorned.

We pronounce it "Guf Coast".
Ya'll wanna go down to the Guf?

I have a yamahe sj 180 that is covered with stickers.I started with the word Joey on it in 1985.Then a WBCN sticker.Then a big apple jacks sticker that was on the kelloggs box.Then little stickers my daughter put on,bible quotes,richard scarry,And a narragansett beer sticker on the side near the strap pin,AAA and who knows how many others.I thought of taking a hair dryer and removing them but it is like a trip through time.Also some little stickers that say Joe on them.One on the pickguard.One on the pickguard of my Rickenbacker 450 and the case too.I got them from my father in 1984 and put them on because he thought to buy them for me.ONE MONTH BEFORE HE DIED. So if you want to criticize the sticker on a Rick.I dont care.It will stay there as long as I live

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

8 (edited by dino48 2011-05-17 00:11:28)

I would like some  guitar stars to sign my guitar as long as Ikeep it too my $50.00 yamaha. But someone like Eric Clapton etc can sign any one of my guitars. I do not want any stickers.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

So I think the general thought is, if it's a cheap guitar then sharpie it right up... if not, then the person has got to be a "guitar God".  I think I may have to agree with that.

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

I'll take any autographed guitar they want to present to me but leave mine alone.
I have an old case that has one sticker from the nearest guitar shop. It could use more to improve it's looks.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

mekidsmom wrote:

So I think the general thought is, if it's a cheap guitar then sharpie it right up... if not, then the person has got to be a "guitar God".  I think I may have to agree with that.

In a nutshell.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

Mekidsmom,looks like you just made a new catchphrase "sharpie it right up"  stands right up there with Man up and get  r done!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

dino48, I second that. Let's add the phrase to the lexicon.

Perhaps when I go on the camping trip this summer I will have to use that phrase then.  I have an Epi that cost less than $200, is laminate, and clearly will never be a showpiece or gain value ... Sharpie it right up!  LOL!

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

amy the epi is a good guitar,the Beatles used them alot,John Lennon really liked them,the one he used on the rooftop was an epi, and if you watch the performance of "get back" he was playing lead with his epiphone. I like your new catchphrase!!