1 (edited by zguitar 2011-05-19 02:06:34)

Topic: Acoustic or electric?

Hello Chordians!!!!
This may have been covered before but........

Wanted to take a poll on which you prefer:

The hard driving, ear drum splitting, head banging sounds from an electric

or

The melodic, gets in your soul, natural sound of an acoustic.

I lean toward the acoustic. I listen/watch in awe at guys like Tommy Emmanuel, Andy Mckee, Chet Atkins, Jerry Reid. You know what I'm talking about. Although my favorite genre of music is 80's hair bands. That is nothing but electric to the nth degree. I think I appreciate the artistry that comes from an acoustic guitar. It seems to me that it takes more talent to get an acoustic to sound like the fellas I mentioned than it does to get an electric to scream and melt your face off. I liken it to the diff between a photo and a pencil drawn picture. While both are great in their own right, I much prefer the pencil drawing because of the talent and work behind it. Hope that makes sense.

Keep Rockin!!!!!!!!!!!

Re: Acoustic or electric?

Yes..

Good thing somebody makes both kinds! smile

Now available in 5G !

In a pollyanna type way I like both. I enjoy listening to players play guitar no matter which one. It is satisfying to hear an accomplished acoustic player but in the same vein I like to hear a guitarist make an electric do what he wants it to do: Eric Johnson, Rik Emmet, Joe Satriani, etc...To me it is not the instrument but how the player uses that instrument.

I do not really enjoy country music but if I separate out the guitar and just listen I can hear accomplished playing. That is what I care about.

4 (edited by naolslager 2011-05-19 04:36:24)

Acoustic only and every time. Simple, pure, complex, and beautiful.

The whole 1980s "unplugged" movement was and is still a favorite of mine. I love acoustic songs and prefer acoustic covers to the originals in most cases. I suppose this is partially due to the belief that maybe even I can produce a cover some day.

I grew up on Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath, Van Halen, the RAMONES, ZZ Top, AC/DC, etc (and I still like them) but I do so enjoy acoustic music w/o all the cords, electrons, amps, speakers, and effects.

I do own one electric guitar but it is shrouded in dust as it doesn't get much attention. I doubt I'll ever buy another one.

Acoustic,by far.There is a certain intimacy with an acoustic.I play hard rock with a band(strictly electric).When I am by myself I like to play an acoustic.I have more acoustics than electrics.But the acoustics are my favorite.When I was young,it was the other way around.Comes with age I guess.Besides,all you need with an acoustic is a pick.No amps or cables to drag with you.Acoustic guitar in one hand.Bottle of moxie in the other.Try that with a strat and marshall full stack.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

I've always liked what Wayne Henderson - picker and luthier from VA once said. "Guitars are like vacuum cleaners - when you plug them in they suck".

DE

I want to read my own water, choose my own path, write my own songs

I like music.  If you can make good music with an electric, fine.  If you can make good music with an acoustic, fine.  For myself, I prefer playing acoustic. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

I have no favourite, take two contrasting songs off the same album, Nirvana's Nevermind.

Something in the Way - A beautiful, moving, quiet, touch your soul type song played on acoustic with wispering vocals, I get goosebumps everytime I here it.

Smells Like Teen Spirit - An aggressive, in your face, obnoxious song that oozes overdrive and power, it also touches my soul and gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it.

Epiphone EJ200  -  Epiphone SG400  -  Fender Strat Blacktop.
Blackstar HT 40 Club  -  Vox VT30 - Behringer ACX ultracoustic 1000

crevs.1972 wrote:

I have no favourite, take two contrasting songs off the same album, Nirvana's Nevermind.

Something in the Way - A beautiful, moving, quiet, touch your soul type song played on acoustic with wispering vocals, I get goosebumps everytime I here it.

Smells Like Teen Spirit - An aggressive, in your face, obnoxious song that oozes overdrive and power, it also touches my soul and gives me goosebumps everytime I hear it.

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love to listen to both, but I prefer playing an acoustic because you can drag it from place to place without worry of having to find a plug in and carry an amp. It is truely portable.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I love them both myself I own two acoustics  and two elactrics.I play the acoustics about 90% of the time.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

I like both.
Luckily, my electric is so resonant in the body and neck that I rarely ever pick up my acoustic guitar anymore.
I've been blessed to have one that does it all.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

13 (edited by jerome.oneil 2011-05-19 18:39:09)

http://maxxsound.net/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/5e06319eda06f020e43594a9c230972d/l/o/love1b.gif

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

where can I get one of those T shirts?

Now available in 5G !

I would be intersted in one also,cool looking tee shirt.

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Love the T-shirt too! But on the back it should say "Or is it the other way round?"...

" Old Guy is Rocking"
Simon & Patrick Pro Flamed Maple (mmm, nice...)
Norman ST68 acoustic

zguitar wrote:

Hello Chordians!!!!
This may have been covered before but........

Wanted to take a poll on which you prefer:

The hard driving, ear drum splitting, head banging sounds from an electric

or

The melodic, gets in your soul, natural sound of an acoustic.

I lean toward the acoustic. I listen/watch in awe at guys like Tommy Emmanuel, Andy Mckee, Chet Atkins, Jerry Reid. You know what I'm talking about. Although my favorite genre of music is 80's hair bands. That is nothing but electric to the nth degree. I think I appreciate the artistry that comes from an acoustic guitar. It seems to me that it takes more talent to get an acoustic to sound like the fellas I mentioned than it does to get an electric to scream and melt your face off. I liken it to the diff between a photo and a pencil drawn picture. While both are great in their own right, I much prefer the pencil drawing because of the talent and work behind it. Hope that makes sense.

Yes I love watching Tommy Emmanuel. I don't think you can get more talented than that.
I also love the sound of an electric guitar.

"Where you begin doesn't matter. Your willingness to start is what counts."
Without music life would be a mistake.
Country music is three chords and the truth.
cool cool cool cool cool cool