Topic: just being protective

I am thinking of letting my 13 year old daughter start a chordie profile.I know you all seem like great people but I cant help but be careful.Is there anything I should watch for.I dont want to be insulting to anyone but this is my little girl,so I apologize in advance if I have insulted any of you.Should I let her do it.I will constantly be checking and spying on her profile so not too much will get by me.I do it on all she does until she is old enough for me not to.Thanks joe

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

Re: just being protective

Joey,
I would think (not sure) that you could set her up a profile but use your email address so that any private communications would come to you. Sounds harsh but tell her it's that way or no way.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.

I think the people who participate on the forums are fine for your daughter to see and converse with.  There are some adult topics that come up, but at 13 I think you and she could talk through those issues.  However, there are a lot of lurkers about whom we know nothing, and so Deadstring's advice makes a lot of sense to me.  I have daughters too, and I understand your hesitation. 

- Zurf

Granted B chord amnesty by King of the Mutants (Long live the king).
If it comes from the heart and you add a few beers... it'll be awesome! - Mekidsmom
When in doubt ... hats. - B.G. Dude

hey Joey, I agree with Zurf and Deadstring.  For the most part, I think you'd be fine... it's the few "members" here and there that don't quite know how to converse on the forums (or don't want to) that might email her ... everything else of course is open for you to see.  For the most part, she could easily access everything she wants and NEEDS to access right here, and just use your email.  That way anything that happens behind closed doors, is actually open to you!  If you think she'll be using the forums and posting often as well, you may want to introduce her to us with her new profile (using your email... so any lurker that might hear she's 13 still can't reach her directly) so we can be vigilant about knowing who she is, and that she's a teen, and remember to treat her appropriately (although, I think everyone gets treated pretty appropriate anyhow... as you know, almost all Chordian's are respectful and friendly!).  OR you could simply email me, and I can give the mods a heads up privately if you don't want to introduce her to the general public.  Give her the reminder that this forum IS open to the public... so even non-members can read it, no posting too much personal information... she need NOT put her location in her profile... especially not putting too much personal info (pictures, age, sex, address, name of the school she goes to, etc... smile)  But of course, you already knew that. 

My son is on chordie, a few years older than your daughter... he doesn't post very often.  He reads the forums though, and mostly just looks up songs and saves them to his own songbooks.

If there were ever anything that you were concerned about, being parents ourselves, the mods would happily help you out.  Feel free to email any of us, or you could report a post and there is plenty of space to put your reason for reporting it.  I can think of a lot LESS safe places for teens to hang out online.  smile  Ultimately, it is your decision if you'd like to allow her to have her own profile... or hers if she decides to get online somewhere that you aren't watching.  IMHO, they will find a way ... I think it's better to allow it with supervision, than to wait for them to figure out how to do it themselves without supervision. 

Amy

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

This would certainly be one of the safer sites out there.  I really don't think you have to worry too much.  As you say, just monitor sometimes.  Of course, there can be no gaurantee on the internet, but the good guys here out weigh the bad guys by a huge margin.  I, also have two daughters, much older now, so I can see the concern.  I think we are pretty respective of ages and watch what we say when we know we are conversing with a younger person.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I'd go with Deadstring's recommendation.
Safety first.

=]
Dm

"Talent instantly recognizes genius,
but mediocrity knows nothing more than itself."

-Sir Arthur Conan-Doyle

Deadstrings got it right!!

my papy said son your going too drive me too drinking if you dont stop driving that   Hot  Rod  Lincoln!! Cmdr cody and his lost planet airman

Hi Joe,

All good advice above. There are already a few younger Member on Chordie so I do not see any real problem in the public forum.

Roger

"Do, or do not; there is no try"

9 (edited by NELA 2011-05-23 20:27:19)

There are a lotta old men on here but I don't believe they are dirty. The ones of us who regularly visit this site kinda keep a good eye out for things that are not as they should be plus we got a some good Moderator's on the payroll that stay on top of everything. When I 1st joined there were things being posted that didn't need to be posted but with due diligance that all changed for the better. Sometimes some of us can get a little carried away but I don't think anything is outright foul or dirty. Just kinda grown up fun  - adult talk. Bring the little lady on board and I promise that we can treat her so many different ways that she has to like some of them. Be sure to have her say hello to Uncle Nela.

Nela

10 (edited by joeyjoeyjoey 2011-05-23 20:52:40)

I tried to do it on my email and it wouldnt go through with her name and password.As I said before,she is my little girl and always will be.So I am extremely protective of her.I hate the thought of some perv or nut job(sorry for the terminology) trying to contact her.Especially if it is due to something that was my doing.Call me an overprotective dad but I cant help it.

Enjoy Every Sandwich
Nothing In Moderation  -- Live Fast. Love Hard. Die Young And Leave A Beautiful Corpse. -- Buy It Today. Cry About It Tomorrow.

OK joey, if you have problems with using your email, set her up with a new email account just for this site, with you on the account, of course. And, a lesson I learned long ago raising two daughters , give her a little room to breathe.  There needs to be some trust on both sides.  I understand your feelings, but give her a little benefit of the doubt once in awhile.  A little lesson from an old experienced father (a Dr. Phil moment).  Just make sure you introduce her to the site, so we know how to talk around her.  I am sure you have not seen too many adult situations in the threads here, but we are more than willing to curb it if we know she is a young girl and your daughter.  And we will certainly welcome her, since she is a guitar player I assume.  Just calm down, dad and let her enjoy the site.  And good luck, whatever you decide.

You can see all my video covers on [url]http://www.youtube.com/bensonp1000[/url]
I have finally found happiness in my life.  Guitars, singing, beer and camping.  And they all intertwine wonderfully.

I myself have rarely seen anything offensive on here. Most people are very respectful no matter the age. I don't blame you for being protective as I have a Daughter to so I understand your concerns. But in reality she'll most likely see things much worse on TV, School or just in public in general. If she's interested in music it's a great idea to encourage it of course, and as a good Father, as you apparently are she'll be much safer here than most with the good people we have here on Chordie.

Cam

Keep a fire burning in your eyes
Pay attention to the open sky
You never know what will be coming down

Thank you so much for all the help.I have her in now with a different email.My wifes.Thanx again to all of you.

Enjoy Every Sandwich

YAY!  I'm glad you got it figured out.  smile

Art and beauty are in the eyes of the beholder.
What constitutes excellent music is in the ears of the listener.

Great! The private stuff is taken care of and I don't recall any public posts from any one on "CHORDIE" that would be a problem. I am just glad that we have youngens interested in music.

When the Power of Love overcomes The Love of Power the world will be a better place.