Topic: resonator guitar

Anyone else learning to play the dobro?  i'd like to hear of your successes and frustrations.

Re: resonator guitar

I've been learning for some 20 years. I wish all the instructional YouTube videos had been around when I started.

i used open "e" tuning on mine and it helped me learn the guitar barred chords up the neck also fingerstyle picking
the old pick and roll sounds great with most songs slide to and from your chords with a little wiggle in there some where
sounds stupid but give it a try

always pickin someting

Once a year I get to sit in a room with thousands of dollars worth of Dobros.  I love each and every one and play as many as I can.

Someday we'll win this thing...

[url=http://www.aclosesecond.com]www.aclosesecond.com[/url]

ive been playing for 18 yrs,.we are talking square neck dobro spider type?bluegrass and trad irish styles,.still fighting it ,.still learning,.still going to bed with a tune running thru my head and mentally trying to figure out how to best play it,.sometimes by morning i would have it,.and  some times not,.but its the challenge ,.and in the last 7 years i have added a seven string with a top extra hi G,[ 12 light gauge].but still in open G tuning,.from bottom string its, G,B,D,G,B,D,G,.great for many styles,.i use elixir resonator standard phospher/bronze strings,.really good,.cheers,.

I bought a round neck (Spanish style I guess) to play around with. I have every intention of learning to play slide guitar but have yet to really dedicate myself to it yet. They are alot of fun even just to play around on. I find myself picking it up more and more.

I used to be disgusted; now I try to be amused.
Elvis Costello

well it has been about a year since you posted  how you doing??

always pickin someting

I don't have a Dobro or National, but I do have a resonator cigar-box guitar.  This is quite a popular "build" with the cigar-box guys.
Thing is a four-string model tuned to open "G", with a piezo pickup and a volume control.
Turned out quite nice!
I'm becoming more and more handy with the slide, and I'm presently learning Johnny Winter's "Dallas" and the associated licks.

I remember reading the following simple rule in a book about playing slide guitar: "Rule 1 of playing slide guitar - there aren't any rules".

I use an Open G tuning mainly and have been picking up tips from a banjo player - a five string banjo also has an open G tuning. So, I've learnt some chords that take a bit of mucking around given the slide on my little finger and that the banjo chords only cover four strings. 

Otherwise, experiment with other musos who are happy for you to experiment and hit the occasional bung note.

10 (edited by patrickjacques 2010-11-21 19:02:15)

I have a National Style O , When I purchaced it the salesman told me only use light guage strings, then I read somewhere that on a resonator heavy guage is where its at. I know with open E tuning one should should only use light guage. Open G tuning being looser sounds shitty with light guage. So now I have medium guage on and asuume it would not be wise to tighten up to open E. Any suggestions. Anyone out there with a Resonator, what guage do you use  and what brand

what a long strange trip it's been

I built a 4-string resonator cigar-box guitar; quite nice actually.  Keep it in open G mostly... I can sing in G. 
I put a piezo pickup in it and the little guy can sound downright nasty played through an amp.

However, I wanted a full-sized resonator and had no money for such things... So I converted a cheap (very cheap) steel-string into a resonator.
Used the same principals as with the cigar-box guitar after seeing a video of one of these on YouTube.
Cut a big hole in the top, mounted an aluminum "warming oven" bottom into slots cut into the back braces... Cut a small hole in that and added a "bisquit" bridge and made a tailpiece and a cover out of old serving trays from Goodwill.
Got about 60 bucks into this puppy.  Piezo mounted on the bottom of the bridge.... Actually sounds pretty decent!
Mostly doing delta-style blues with the thing.

I just bought a Morgan Monroe MSQ 100, Sunburst resonator at a guitar show this past weekend. I've always wanted to learn how to play, got a good deal on this one.  I play guitar, bluegrass, gospel and country. I have it tuned in open G (DBGDBG) and have found out how to strum major chords, is there anyone out there can give me some pointers on how to play other chords. Also, I'm really struggling with the finger picking, is there someone can give me some pointers on this as well?

Peace to all

13 (edited by butlersdog 2011-06-04 00:46:27)

I guess you need some* spam removed by mod* on that one. In that way, you would be able to really get things done, and you would be able to really make it happen. I just hoped that things would be well and it would go a long way for you.

Years ago I bought a new square-neck dobro (Wechter-Scheerhorn) with a high saddle: meant for lap or horizontal-with-strap playing; also preamp and pickup in it and battery compartment at the bottom end (handy!).  A friend loaned me a Jerry Douglas instrucntl video which was probably 15 years old - Jerry looked young.  It was very helpful for me to see him move into basic positions across strings, with technique with the bar/steel.  In our group gigs it was a hit!   No complicated playing for me, just that dobro sound was such a great addition to guitars and mando.  Someone told me I play it like a lap steel guitar... It's a good-looking dobro too.

Live to play, play to live!

Jerry Douglas had a technique of angling the bar so it was not perpendicular to the strings (selective strings picked) - interesting technique to get away from regular major chord.  I tune in open G... and buy resonator strings which I think are medium-gauge; have tried a couple different brands, not fixed on one yet.

Live to play, play to live!

I wish that chord had a resonator option along with banjo, mando, Ike ect... When we look up chords!

I have a electirc houndog dobro its a blast it really has a nice tone smile

"Growing old is not for sissies"

I have  had a Guvenor  resonator   for  a  few  years   now  to  which  I    added  an old  p90  pick up  ,sounds  great ,I  have  just  added   an  ozark gold plated  resonator and  a  resonator bouzouki  to  my  collection while  over in the  uk   this  week  on holiday .
All  three  are  great ,the  bouzuki   being  very  unusual .I'll  try  and  post  some  pics  when I  get  back  to  crete.