Topic: Epiphone Dot question

Hello All..  So I got a new Epiphone Dot recently..  very nice, natural color..  seems I'm having some issues with keeping the thing in tune..  thought at first maybe its cause of new strings but I've have it a couple of months now and play it often.. the strings should be stretched by now..  I like the guitar alot but I have to say, not to thrilled with the tuning situation..  I've read good and bad reviews on this guitar..  just getting frustrated with the whole thing..  thoughts?
Deb

Re: Epiphone Dot question

Strings could be sticking to the grooves in the nut. graphite it or rub the grooves with a pencil until the grooves have plenty of pencil lead in them. Helps de-sticky the nut.

did you put heavier strings on?

Haven't changed the strings yet..  Interesting about the pencil lead..  may have to try it.  Have to try something..  thanks.

If these are the strings it came with change them. Also, how many turns have the strings on the nuts, too few can cause a problem.

I had the exact same problem with my es335 and guild starfire IV after purchasing.... FYI. smile

BGD..  how did you overcome the issue?  I assume you still have those guitars.

I use heavier strings so I had to have the nuts ground out and then the luthier graphited the crap out of them, just like my suggestion above.

A word of caution - I've found that the semi hollow bodies are a lot more sensitive to temp changes, so if you go on a stage with lights or play in the sun make sure and leave your axe out of its case for a good 20 minutes before you play (if possible).